Zel's Fleet Blog - Xantia Activa, Jag XJ-S, Sinclair C5, Mercedes 208D, AC Model 70.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Re: Zel's Fleet Blog (Xantia, 107 and "others")

Post by Zelandeth »

Been a while since I was there, remember it being a good day out though. Enjoy!

Glad to report that the exhaust on the Saab no longer buzzes annoyingly. One stud did snap when it came off - that's why I get them to do it not myself!

Did manage to hold on to the old pipe so that should be ideal bodging material. Pipe is absolutely fine, just the expansion box that had rotted out.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Sorted out the indicator stalk on the Saab today.

...Actually fixed it in five minutes, though it then took me a further half hour of head scratching before I actually figured out that I had indeed fixed it.

So, new part arrived yesterday, and I went and connected it up. Nothing. Indicators fine, but no high beam. Cue head scratching and retrieval of the multimeter, then more headscratching. I knew how the main beam setup worked and all that, which once I thought about it made me even more confused. I knew that the main beam relay was triggered by grounding one of the terminals - but there was no ground evident on the switch...

After about twenty minutes of scratching my head and probing connections with the multimeter I had a brainwave and reassembled the whole thing. Surprise surprise it then worked perfectly.

Clever those bods at Saab...the casing of the switch provides the switched ground for the main beam relay so of course it didn't work until I'd bolted it back onto the steering column!

So it actually only took me about five minutes to fix, just took me a further half hour to *realise* that I'd fixed it!

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Sounds about right!

Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Sure they weren't designed by the guy who worked for Citroen????

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Nothing done to any of my cars today because I was here:

Therefore was too busy watching other people's cars breaking the laws of physics.

...Especially the ones running on nitro-methane.

Hoping to spend a bit of time on the Xantia tomorrow properly investigating why the drive belt isn't happy. It screeched at me when I started it yesterday, so belt will be off tomorrow and the tensioner checked (I have a spare from when I thought the timing belt needed to be changed). Sure access is lovely and easy for that without dismantling the whole car given where it is.

furriegurrie

Post by furriegurrie »

Not sure if it's fitted to your car, but if you have a pouly on the crankshaft that is made out of 2 pieces of steel bonded with rubber, it could well be that the rubber has lost it's grip on them. Easily checked by putting a white line of paint or the link from the center to the outside. Run/start the car for a while/a few times and check to see if the line is still straight or if the outer part has moved...

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

107 got some attention today. Finally replaced the missing fog light blanking cover and shattered bumper clip. Also gave it a very slightly overdue oil change (by about a month).

What came out was disgusting. Don't care what Peugeot recommend, that car is going onto a six monthly service schedule like the rest of the fleet. Also gave the air cleaner a clean (it has a K&N drop in fitted) and gave the throttle body a good clean while I was in there. Running *so* much better now. Just need to do the plugs now, but ran out of time today.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I do mine on a six-monthly schedule Zel, mainly because it covers such a small mileage...

I do a lot of short journeys in mine and another reason I change it is because of a buildup of 'mayonnaise' in the rocker box...

At least it's a very easy job...

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Just noticed this evening when topping the oil in the 107 up now it's had a run that the bottle actually says it's for diesel engines...

Have to admit that's entirely my fault even if the label is tiny...as my search image went precisely as far as the grade and fully synth...never consciously read any further!

Now back in the old days I know diesel engine oil was exactly the same stuff just with a higher detergent content to help keep the sootier engine clean, and I often used it to help clean out a neglected one and ran a couple of cars on it for years as it was what I had to hand.

However the 107 is the car with by far the most sophisticated engine of any I've owned and is also the first car I've had which stipulates fully synth oil. Should I be worried about it harming anything and drain and change it, or should it be perfectly fine till the next oil change?

My gut feeling is that oil is oil and it will be perfectly fine.

...I'd also rather not chuck out that much oil as fully synthetic oil is expensive!

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

I would say it will be fine. I was under the impression that the engines on these are quite low tech old diahatsu and really any oil is fine. My two have only ever had 10w 40 semi synthetic. I can't recall seeing synthetic only in the handbook, but I may well be wrong. There's one thing certain though, I will have to go out and look. Not just now though, as I am tucked up in bed, and it's winter outside lol

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I use diesel-spec oil in the Activa and daughter's 207 without issue. As I understand it, the only significant difference is that diesel oil has much more detergent action and that can't be such a bad thing...

Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Ay up!

Diesel spec oil is also better at lubricating the engine, I used it in all my petrol cars after I discovered what the codes actually mean.....

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Well the consensus seems to be that the oil will stay there till the next change then, not going to worry about it.

Today I played car tetris to get the Skoda out of its corner and over to the garage. My intention is to get the head off at the weekend so we can see how much work is ahead for me. Fingers crossed the head is flat so it's just a cleanup and rebuild job. Once I figure out where on earth my torque wrench has vanished to anyway!

If it's not flat I'll then have to strip it right down and get it skimmed.

Xantia looks to need the spring loaded belt tensioner changed as the belt seems to be running towards the cam belt side of the pulley and that seems to be where the squeak is coming from. Parked it in the corner for now, will get that sorted once the Skoda is done and the Saab is MOTed (Tuesday).

Hoping to get time to throw the new brake hoses and pads on before the MOT as well as that will help the presentation a bit I think. Was going to do that today then couldn't find my trolley jack. How do you loose a bright red and yellow 3-tonne trolley jack? ...in my garage easily it seems!

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

It's hiding behind the torque wrench......

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Erm, it is hiding under the Saab!