Zel's Fleet Blog - Xantia Activa, BX, Jag XJ-S, Sinclair C5, Mercedes 208D, AC Model 70.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Zel's Fleet Blog (Xantia, 107 and "others")

Post by CitroJim »

What does the BlueHDi signify Zel? Is it very sad or does it like watching risqué films on that giant touch screen?

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Blue is the moniker attached the 'green' cars, Jim :lol:

Started by Merc I think who had BlueEfficiency - it may or may not be linked to the need for the Urea based AdBlue (which, AFAIK isn't blue either!) additive for NOX reduction

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Richard :D That covers it a treat!

When I've seen casks of AdBlue at filling stations it appears to be clear but I suppose if you look at it a certain way it might have a slightly blue tinge about it... A bit like liquid oxygen...

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Was it Merc with the Blue Efficiency thing or VW with BlueMotion?

Just seems that anything that's meant to be "eco friendly" these days has to have the word "blue" attached somehow!

As far as I know, it's the same 1.6 HDi used in zillions of things, not sure if the "Blue" version runs different firmware or anything.

I do know that I gave it a darn good pasting (Dad never goes above about 45mph or ventures more than 10 miles from home so it would do it good), and in spite of that it was still showing I'd averaged 64.9mpg over 70 odd miles...what would it do if I tried to drive economically? Reckon it would end up with more fuel in the tank than when I left!

Tell you what it reminds me of to drive, a mate had a Renault 19 Turbo diesel. It was basically the sporty version (can't remember how that was labelled in Renault lingo of the time), but had the 1.8 (?) TDi engine and went like the clappers. While there are a lot of differences, the overall character of the two cars seems very similar. Think that one met a sad end when the head gasket went and it was deemed beyond economic repair. I was sad about that as I enjoyed driving it!

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Today my Xantia had a proper run. 538 miles in fact from Milton Keynes to Pitmedden in Aberdeenshire. Still got 1/4 a tank of diesel as well which ain't bad I reckon.

Glad to report that the only failure to report is that the bulb in the dip beam indicator in the instrument panel appears to have packed in...so it will definitely have to come out now as that will drive me mad. So will sort the rest of the dash lighting as well...

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

Dip bulb out ??.....give the top of the dash a good slap !.....it worked for me :)

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Well about 2/3rds of the illumination bulbs are as well, so it really is about time I sorted it properly!

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

LOL, maybe past a slap then :)

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Make sure you have at least 40 light bulbs. When I did the ones on my Xantia I changed every one (including the two in the heater panel which are in short captive holders). It takes too long to have to do it twice!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I think you'll find the dip beam bulb is out in most Xantias Zel, it sees a lot of use!

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Yep it does, especially in my cars which usually have dip beam on (drilled into my head by First Aberdeen's training team!) when driving.

Have been meaning to sort the dash lighting for the last year but this will give me the excuse I need I think...

Ran the numbers this morning when I fuelled up, and Milton Keynes to Pitmedden to Inverurie came in at roughly £44 of diesel and 52.9mpg. Not bad for a car of this size and age I reckon.

Do wish she had cruise control though...do wonder how much work it would be to retrofit.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Take a look through the posts of citroenxm. He has managed to outfit a Xantia HDi with cruise control.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The HDi Cruise retrofit cannot be applied to a 1.9TD but the old Hella Vacuum system can be... If you can get hold of the bellows, ECU, stalk and vacuum pump Zel, then the potential to retrofit is possible.

In addition you MUST also rig up brake and clutch switches...

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Something to keep in mind. If it's a conventional vacuum type system shouldn't be too hard.

Today saw the first bit of actual electrical infidelity from her.

Stopped to drop off some stuff at the tip and as soon as the ignition was turned off the cooling fan (only one is functional at present) started up and began to cycle roughly once a second. Turned ignition back on and it stopped...odd. Have pulled the relay for now as I simply do not have time to investigate in the middle of stripping my Dad's old house! Have to assume it's the Bitron having a nervous breakdown for some reason...BSI reset will be tried before anything else most likely!

On the plus side it's chilly up here so sticking the heater on full whack is more than enough to keep it well within range.

elma

Post by elma »

I'll be very interested if you do attempt to fit cruise control. It's the one thing that stops an xud Xantia being a perfect work car for me. I've researched it a little in the past and opted out. I think if you manage it then I'll be the first to copy.