Zel's Fleet Blog - Xantia Activa, BX, Jag XJ-S, Sinclair C5, Mercedes 208D, AC Model 70.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Zel's Fleet Blog (Xantia, 107 and "others")

Post by CitroJim »

Is there not a danger of scratching the glass with wire wool Mike?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Great to se you this afternoon Zel and sorry it was so brief :(

I'm in love with your Saab 8-) What a brilliant car!

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

No worries Jim, can always pop round again soon, advantage of being just round the corner.

Saabs tend to be very polarising cars, people either love them or loathe them, seldom do you see middle ground. Will have to get you a shot sometime soon, then you can properly catch the Classic 900 bug!

It's always fun when you present someone who knows cars but has never met a C900 with the engine bay and watch them try to make sense of the drivetrain layout! There are always a good number of "wait a minute where is...?" moments.

Nothing looks, drives, smells or sounds quite like a C900, and they do get under your skin. I had seriously considered selling it sometime when it was off the road last winter - that lasted precisely as long as it took me to drive it again!

Hoping to be busy with the clay and wax tomorrow and try to get her tidied up a bit. Have a replacement grill for one of the front speakers as well as it's got a broken tab just now so rattles - may as well fix one of them! C900 interiors are a bit prone to squeaks and rattles, one of the few places its 70s design roots does show! Need to spend a few hours one day trying to track a few more down and seeing if I can fix them.

...along with sorting the rev counter, the light in the gear selector, the tailgate struts, the exhaust, actually fit the new brake hoses (ferrules are a bit rusty and I know they're old), shore up the bottom edges of the doors where the lip is rusting (they all rust there), likewise the fuel filler flap, change the fuel filter (forgot it last year...my bad), get the nearside headlight refurbished aaaaand valet the poor thing. Re-rust proofing before the winter too now I think about it...Oh...and properly check the alternator brushes...no one job that's too bad, but there are plenty of them!

Oh...and change the ATF as I have no idea when that was last done, change the filter for that probably not a bad idea too even if that does entail removing the gearbox base plate I think which scares me somewhat!

Stopping now before I think of anything else for the list!

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Zelandeth wrote:Stopping now before I think of anything else for the list!
Bit like a Citroen then!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
Zelandeth wrote:Stopping now before I think of anything else for the list!
Bit like a Citroen then!
In a lot of ways although dare I say it, the Saab looks as if it was hewn from stone rather than old Camenbert boxes... :lol:

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Certainly weighs about as much as if it was hewn from stone, Jim! That much you abruptly realise the first time that you jack the thing up!

So had planned to get quite a bit done the last couple of days...

Turned out to be utterly unproductive as for the first time in a good few years, went down with some extremely suddenly occurring stomach bug. Thankfully seem to be over it now, save for still being a bit tired. No idea where that came from, as nobody else in the house had any problems and we all eat pretty much exactly the same. Guess we'll never know and just have to chalk it up as "one of those things."

In answer to the question about cleaning the glass prior to application of Rain-X, don't think I'd ever use anything as aggressive as steel wool. Did use the clay mitt though, and it seemed to have exactly the same effect as on the rest of the paintwork, rough for a couple of sweeps but then going absolutely smooth afterward. Followed up with Auto-Glym glass polish to remove any residue I'd missed, then applied as normal. Polish certainly buffed off a heck of a lot easier than it has in the past.

Hoping to have a chance to start attacking the Saab's poor neglected paintwork in the next couple of days as I had originally planned to over the last few days...

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Weather today meant that it wasn't really possible to do too much to the cars once the few errands I needed to get done and the dog was walked.

Rain however proved to me that I've done a reasonably decent job on the Xantia.

There's something extremely satisfying seeing the way water beads on a properly waxed car. Think this will only need one or two more coats...

Surprised given the slightly matt finish on the roof that the water runs off as well as it does actually.

So while it was raining mostly got some of the finishing touches put in place up in the master bedroom that I'd been meaning to for months. Silly things like an extra couple of shelves in the wardrobe and some brackets for candle holders etc and applying some of the requested patterns to the wall around the bed. Not looking too bad now I reckon, even if there are still some things to finish. New curtains for one, a curtain to cover the wardrobe (which I've basically built across one end of the room) and a bit more detail work like cable management in a few places, and I'd really like to re-paint some of the furniture to better match the theme.

Know it's not car related, but throwing one photo here anyway because I'm actually quite proud of how professional the end result of the work has started to look now it's coming together.

The instruction I was given by the main occupant of this room was to recreate one of the "meditation rooms" from the spa at Center Parcs, which I think I've pulled off not bad actually. I'll grab a wider angle shot sometime once the other side of the room is finished...currently all the unfinished stuff is out of sight to stage right where the room continues for a few metres as it's sort of an L shape.

Might actually get this one finished one day so I can actually finish getting my room together!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I know what you mean about seeing great satisfaction in all that beading on a freshly polished car. Nice!

Room looks lovely, very restful...

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Thanks Jim, restful is basically what I was going for.

Hoping the curtains for the wardrobe will arrive tomorrow so I can get that done soon. Need to look at building a little cabinet for next to the one bedside table as that's where our printer lives, and its 90s yellowed to almost the colour of mustard look doesn't really fit in!

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Xantia was out for a brief run today, showing her strengths off to an American friend of the family we have staying. He was very complimentary about all aspects, and his eyes nearly dropped out of his head when he saw the mileage - and again when I took a few twisty bits of road in a "spirited" manner and he realised how well the car handles.

Nothing too much done car-wise today save for that little outing and fiddling with phone-based dash-cam software a bit (reckon I'm probably going to wind up buying a commercial kit anyway and disembowling it so that just the camera module itself can live in the rear view mirror housing, I just can't be done with stuff stuck to the dash/windscreen, just looks such a mess).

Did however carry out one of my "Hmm...Wonder if my automotive stuff would work for that?" challenges today, specifically the clay mitt, having seen how well it shifts surface contaminants off paintwork and glass.

The question was whether that would work well on a rather tired looking set of pool balls on our table. They get cleaned every few months, which is quite tedious a process (I keep meaning to build a polisher, but it's never made it to the top of the to do list).

Turns out that yes, about a minute for each one shifts all the surface crud quite nicely with a quick dash of polish (Autoglym Super Resin Polish) to buff off anything left behind, then a minute or so cleaning all traces off with a microfibre cloth. No waxes or anything as you're not protecting the surface from the elements or anything, you just want it to be as clean as possible.

Not looking too bad given that this set is nearly 40 years old. Reckon I may treat the table to a new set when we get it re-covered soonish as a couple do have some nicks in, 7 and 8 from memory. Camera hasn't actually done that great a shot capturing the shine to be honest.

Promise to have something actually car related to post here soon...Sorry for all the random house stuff!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

They've come up a treat Zel!

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Finally got around to fitting the new rear brake cable on the C5 today so it actually does something resembling to stopping now. Will be pulling the front fork off my spares one shortly to get it sent off for a disc brake conversion so that it actually stops at a reasonable rate...as even in perfect order the standard brakes just about qualify as adequate. Just.

Been too long since I had it out to be honest, need to fix that...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I thought for a moment you were talking of a Citroen C5 then Zel!!!!

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

I thought that too, then remembered sir Clive lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

...I really need to be more specific about that don't I!

Do rather wish the Sinclair one stopped as well as the Citroen...

It's very much at the opposite end of the spectrum in my fleet to the Saab...the Sinclair C5 a truly shonky bit of engineering in many ways! Still great fun though.