Zel's Fleet Blog - BX, Jag XJ-S, Sinclair C5, Mercedes 208D & 230TE, AC Model 70.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5

Post by Zelandeth »

CitroJim wrote: Zel, that's some seriously good service on the brushes :)

Tom usually sets a pretty high bar for service it has to be said.

Just had one of those moments where I spent an hour looking around for a diameter reducer online (to attach the suction side of the fuel pump to the existing tank pickup). Then had a brainwave. Five minutes up the road to Pirtek and I had the thing I needed in my hand.

Wish I'd thought of that an hour earlier!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Zel's Fleet Blog - Pug 107, Saab 900, Lada Riva, Skoda Estelle & Sinclair C5

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent! Good to know we have a decent Pirtek close at hand here :)
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Aaaaand today I achieved absolutely nothing on the car, in fact other than picking up the 10mm to 8mm hose adaptor and fitting the new brushes to the alternator I've not had a chance to touch it. Just been too busy a day! Hopefully will do better tomorrow.
demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag »

Zel what sort of hoseclips will you be using?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

demag wrote:Zel what sort of hoseclips will you be using?

Nothing fancy, just reasonable quality normal worm drive hose clips. Can't remember which brand they are - basically whatever it is that Motorserv sell over the counter. Have never had a problem with them before.

Fuel lines will of course be set up with proper fuel hose clamps (from the same source).
ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Post by ekjdm14 »

Probably NORMA brand, that seems to be standard fare for the factors round here & they've been good to me... I do actually much prefer the spring loaded type used by PSA though. No thread to strip or seize up & I feel like they clamp more evenly, on small diameter hoses especially, than worm drive ones too.
demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag »

Ok just wondered if you were going with something Russian. I've used the nylon ratchet type on small hoses. No not cable ties! :-)

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Definitely better on <10mm hoses I think, but luckily that's about the smallest I need to deal with here. Most of the small stuff is vacuum, and I'll probably use fuel hose clips on those eventually.

The last 30 mins of work feel like a really big achievement - in that it was the first bit where I removed something and then put it back on again. Exhaust manifold removed, old gasket whipped out and manifold put back in place. Astonishingly not one of the nuts or studs put up a fight (okay, one unscrewed the stud rather than the nut, but I'm not fussy). Only thing though made it a bit of a faff was the rigid coolant line under the manifold and the heat shield insisting on wedging itself against the steering box.

I think that's the dismantling on the offside of the engine bay done...

Next is the other side - though that's mostly ancillary gear so should be quicker (in theory) than removing things like manifolds and fiddly throttle linkages.
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

demag wrote:Ok just wondered if you were going with something Russian. I've used the nylon ratchet type on small hoses. No not cable ties! :-)

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Not a chance! The single biggest hate about this car (and the Skoda) are the original hose clips. I can get them (or at least could a few years ago), but they are responsible for why I've taken the whole cooling system apart in the first place...

To give you an idea how rubbish they are, I just quite easily pulled two small bore coolant hoses off without even bothering to undo the original hose clip. By hand, easily.

A cable tie probably would have been more effective.
ekjdm14
Donor 2020

Post by ekjdm14 »

Those Russian hose clips remind me of something, and I've just remembered what... they're like old fashioned Corned Beef can opening tabs but working in reverse (or not working in reverse, as the case most probably is)... I suppose tip-top cooling systems are less of a worry in Mother Russia than they are in the west...
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

That's exactly what they're like. The real pain with them (other than that they leak) is that they're often nigh on impossible to get undone. Especially when another part is installed after the hose is, rendering the pin totally inaccessible. Often it's a case of attacking them with the wire cutters and praying the hose survives.

They actually took cooling quite seriously, especially on the Niva. The radiator is pretty large for the size of engine - especially on the Niva, the late model versions despite only having a 1.7 engine sport a radiator more like what you'd expect to see with a 3-4 litre engine to cool. Not just large and inefficient either, just over-rated!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Once upon a time those style of hose clips were used on XM LHM reservoir heads and in various other places... They looked nice but that was about it...
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Interesting Jim, first place outside of Eastern Bloc motors I've heard of them appearing.

So that plan I had to spend a good couple of hours beavering away at it this afternoon?

I'd got all the tools and boxes of bits out, was about 45 minutes in, just getting into the swing of things when...my phone rang. Abby had lost her phone (and with it her bus pass and bank cards) and was stranded in the middle of Oxford. Had to drop everything and go on a rescue mission. Well, there went the next four hours. Oh...and the 107 decided to snap an exhaust hanger half way there.

When we got back I had just enough time to tidy up properly. So today I managed to...

[] Split exhaust manifold from head to properly replace the gasket (which is a combined one for both manifolds) rather than faffing around cutting gaskets and stuff.
[] Reattach exhaust manifold.
[] Remove the narrow bore coolant line that hides under the exhaust manifold (think it's a combined heater bypass and manifold heater line).
[] Remove distributor.
[] Remove mechanical fuel pump (which squirted me in the face as I removed it...)
[] Temporarily lashed up electric fuel pump in the engine bay. It won't live there, but will just be there for initial testing purposes to make any initial electrical bug fixing easier. Have tested it and it's happy to draw (way!) more fuel than we need from the tank from there.
[] Removed charcoal canister and the associated vacuum/vent/PCV hose abomination that was dreamt up by a drunken octopus.
[] Labelled the fuel feed, return and vent solid lines before I disconnected them!
[] Installed distributor blanking plug.
[] Installed fuel pump blanking plate.
[] Installed ignition coil pack.

...That's where I had to leave it. Not as far as I'd hoped to get, but it feels really good to have started actually installing some of the new parts now, not just pulling stuff out.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Have a good, successful session this afternoon Zel :)
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Zip done today.

Got stuck in Oxford traffic so the trip there and back wound up taking the whole afternoon more or less.

Should have got stuck in earlier but really struggle for motivation in the mornings. Especially being essentially the main emotional support for someone still recovering from a major depressive event is slowly wearing me down as life keeps throwing ridiculous curve balls their way. The sort of things that would stress out anyone - never mind someone who's already suffering from major anxiety, stress and depression problems. Combine those factors and it's all sorts of fun!

Just does make getting started in the mornings harder - and doesn't help my already exciting sleep patterns!

I was meant to be heading out tomorrow to meet up with some folks from another forum (electrical and lighting tech being the main focus there), but due to one of the aforementioned curve balls bowled at us by life, that's now been cancelled. Not likely to get a refund from the hotel either I'll bet...

On the plus side, guess it frees up some more time to work on the car...maybe...if my luck changes.