Zel's Fleet Blog - BX, Jag XJ-S, Sinclair C5, Mercedes 208D & 230TE, AC Model 70.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Re: Zel's Fleet Blog (Xantia, 107 and "others")

Post by Stickyfinger »

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

^^ :rofl2:
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

We quite often go in February with some friends, this time though is just us as we really just wanted some time to de-stress. So far is working well!

Glad we've tried this one, but back to Sherwood next time I reckon.
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Back home now. Definitely glad we went, but we've all come to the unanimous conclusion that next time we'll be going back to Sherwood. Woburn isn't a bad place, but it feels somewhat like someone has built a Center Parcs resort on a budget. It's definitely more aimed at the day and weekend trip market than the week long ones (hence the far more compact footprint), which makes sense I suppose given the proximity to London.

Despite having to do three return trips (once with luggage and two bikes, once with Abby's trike, and once with the C5), Xantia took it all in her stride, though having once again managed to coat the nearside rear bumper in a fine layer of soot once on the main road. It doesn't ever seem to smoke excessively save for a second or two the first time you put your foot down in a long while, so I think it must just be the shape of the bumper and exhaust. Also the old diesel saying I guess...No smoke, no poke! I'm not worrying about it anyway...

It just fits with the rear seat squab removed - roof rack for the next CP trip I think! Combined with a bike rack should be able to make one trip rather than three next time.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I've had a few Xantia TDs myself . The main two I owned for a long time were both dog slow and not very economical when I got them. Thrashing them mercilessly for a week or so, at every opportunity stopped them smoking much under acceleration and had them feeling much more lively.

Glad you enjoyed the holiday!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

This one certainly seems to go okay, the only smoke you usually see at all is if you've been trundling around gently for a few days or have had to do a bit of stop-start driving for a while, the first time you really boot it you are quite aware of the soot exiting the car to the rear!

At least that's what I think...might need to get my other half to drive it for a bit and follow to see how close my guesses are...though that does leave me with the interesting problem of *how* to follow, given that neither the 107 nor the Skoda have a hope of keeping up with the Xantia if the right pedal is being used to any great extent...
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Today wasn't really intended to be a "car day" but inevitably for me, ended up tinkering with them a bit.

Went out to Halfrauds to get a new brake cable for the C5 (it went "ping" halfway down a 10% gradient, that was interesting...) and found some paint that's a close enough match to do some touching in with. Also got some spray grease for another application, and gave both the throttle and clutch cables a good dosing at each end. Seems to have instantly cured my sometimes notchy clutch. I also noticed that there was a huge amount of free play in the throttle cable, so adjusted that. I wondered if I would notice any difference as a result of that, so went for a spin. Did I ever notice a difference...Not only does it have far more power available, the urgency with which it is delivered has been hugely increased.

I find myself seriously doubting that car is actually producing its rated 90bhp.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Zelandeth wrote: I find myself seriously doubting that car is actually producing its rated 90bhp.
If the pump has been gently tweaked, it'll be producing a bit more Zel..

Amazed that Halfords stock spares for the C5... :roll:
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote: Amazed that Halfords stock spares for the C5... :roll:
I'm unsure of your tongue is in your cheek or not there Jim. I'm sure Zel is talking about his Sinclair C5 and he's been to bikehut to get a suitable bicycle brake cable for it..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Heh, yes the C5 is of the Sinclair variety. Wouldn't ever get much in the way of car stuff from Halfrauds. Tools possibly excepted as I've only good things to say about their Advanced and Professional range (just wait till they are on sale if you can). Okay they're not Franklin or Snap-On gear, but they do what they say on the tin and I've yet to break any.

Was just a generic bike brake cable I was after. Ended up with a cheap disc brake kit too (smooshed packaging so reduced to a tenner) which I'm going to see if I can retrofit on the Sinclair. Access at the back is tricky due to the positioning of the axle carrier and standard brake drum, so front is the likely target. Would just need to figure out bracketry and some sort of load spreader I think. Shouldn't really be too hard.

Is there any way to tell if the mixture setting on the Xantia's fuel pump has been tweaked? Remember on my old Corsa 1.5TD there was a wax plug on the adjuster which had to be dug out before I tweaked it. Combining extra fuel with a straight through exhaust, big air filter and an intercooler off something else resulted in an alarming driving experience which had far more torque than traction in the first three gears - or all five in the wet. After about a week I returned the pump setting to nearly standard, lesson learned! Think that was the last time I really mucked around with things like that. It kept the intercooler though and the home made exhaust (which was barely any louder than the stock one).

Just curious really, really feels more than 90bhp/144 lb ft availiable now. Felt about what I would have expected prior to adjusting the cable, now really has much more urgency to it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Zel's Fleet Blog (Xantia, 107 and

Post by CitroJim »

Northern_Mike wrote:
CitroJim wrote: Amazed that Halfords stock spares for the C5... :roll:
I'm unsure of your tongue is in your cheek or not there Jim.
Yep, tongue firmly in cheek :)
citronut

Post by citronut »

they had a bunch of C5 lovers ( Sinclair C5 club ) on the love of cars last night, riding/driving/peddling like mad :yikes:
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Rear brake on the Sinclair sorted out and working as well as it ever does. Greased and adjusted the wheel bearing as well which has got rid of the nasty grumbling noise and helped (a bit) to stop the brake snatching at low speeds. It's a known flaw due to the geometry of the drum/shoes and it's just something you have to live with.

Work has commenced on retrofitting a disc brake to the front, hopefully get it finished tomorrow. Pretty it will not be, but if it improves stopping ability I'll take that!

Xantia had its roof attacked today with the pressure washer and the little rotary nozzle I have for it (the jet spins in it resulting in a cone of rapidly rotating water - great for cleaning brick driveways etc), thinking that might work better than the static jet. Suffice to say I was right! Looked more like I was using a media blaster save for the fact the base coat was untouched. Roof was clearcoat free within ten minutes save for a few areas it has been touched up before. Weather permitting I might try to get a bit of spraying done tomorrow. Will stick some photos up in the morning.

...I will be finding bits of clearcoat for *months* I reckon. It went everywhere!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'm really interested to see how your clearcoat replacement goes Zel!

I'm still finding bits in mine now!
citronut

Post by citronut »

a few years back i was looking into soda blasting,

apparently you can take the surface back as much or as little as you require, i found a video of someone stripping an MGB back to bare metal, without removing any of the fixtures and fittings, trims, handles, bumpers or the glass and rubbery bits,

can find that vid clip but here is a different one

with no damage to any of these,

not that you would in reality leave all these bits on with a bare metal re/spray
Last edited by citronut on 12 May 2015, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.