Tax disc changes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

old-un77
My Cars: Renault 14...now skyward
Renault 19.. skyward also..
'03 Xsara 1.8 Picasso in silver met his maker
'06 Desire, again in silver also gonn to metal heaven

Re: Tax disc changes

Post by old-un77 »

how soon can the new keeper tax the car?

suppose I bought a car in the third week, could I drive it home? and tax it from the start of the next month?

with my current car there would be a number plate change as well.....so I guess if I was going to sell MY car(or dispose of it) I'd have to change the plates beforehand and get the cert thingy..first.....

bob
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

As far as i can make out if you buy a car and not going to tax it straight away then you need to declare SORN from the day you buy it. I think the only way round it is to ask the seller nicely to date the v5 on the last day of the month. How legal that would be I don't have a clue!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

daviemck2006 wrote:I think the only way round it is to ask the seller nicely to date the v5 on the last day of the month. How legal that would be I don't have a clue!
you would need to be crazy to post date the V5, I would never dream of doing that unless I knew the person I was selling it to really well. It's you that would start getting the grief for parking tickets/speed cameras/bus lane cameras/ram raids etc.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Begs the question then, ? how do you get a car home legally ? (if the seller hits the button as you drive off round the corner )
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
old-un77
My Cars: Renault 14...now skyward
Renault 19.. skyward also..
'03 Xsara 1.8 Picasso in silver met his maker
'06 Desire, again in silver also gonn to metal heaven

Post by old-un77 »

but you don't have to do it online.....dated from purchase, sorned?/sold...you can use old reliable? snail mail then its down to the buyer to get sorted....??according to the dvla site, as I read it, it can take 5-6 days to get into the data base.......

Bob
Citroen154
My Cars:

Post by Citroen154 »

My opinion is that they have just made the system more complicated.

If you buy a secondhand car now privately, you can't even drive it home legally until you have taxed it, but if you ring up the Insurance company and change your cover over, that cover won't show up straight away on the system.

The government have released figures for how much they will save by not issuing Tax discs and finding non taxed vehicles, but they could have saved even more had they just put a small amount on fuel.
Controversial I know, but in that way, no-one could avoid it and the people using the roads/polluting the most would pay the most.
How can the system be fair, when certain fleet cars are now tax free, but they could be doing 40-50000 miles per year, whereas a little old couple who live out in the sticks and need a 4x4, but only do about 2000 miles per year have to pay upwards of £235 per year? I know which vehicle is using the most of the Green Brigade's resources and polluting the atmosphere the most ( Not withstanding Cats and DPFs)