ZX Model ID's. help needed.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

humpy

Post by humpy »

>>Somehow Pug got masses of street cred from their 205 rustbucket.
Sorry, have you ever seen a 205 after D reg that has not had crash damage that has any rust on it at all? I have never, and I've owned, had friends that have owned, and seen plenty.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Dave,
You make some very valid point about ZX rear wheel steer. As you will no doubt recall, the "rear steer" of the Zx was one of the marketing factors when the car was launched in 1991 UK. The rear steer relies on 2 rather weak rubber metal mounts, and then 2 rather more substantial "steering mounts", all of which, as you say can can corrode way over the passage of time.
Having said that, a Zx with 4 new (Genuine) mounts can be real pleasure to drive right on the limit. We all know that a ZX is basically a 205 GTi underneath, with the added attraction of rear steer mounts. Comments like "ultimate understeer" are a bit of a laugh for me; a really well set up ZX with decent tyres and sound rear mounts will never understeer at the limit, it will flick the arse round like a 1.9 205 GTi quicker than you would ever expect. The difference is that the ZX can be then controlled on and off the throttle to straighten things up (if you have the nerve). Most 205 1.9's tended to end up in a ditch.
Turbo D owners like me face those agonising seconds when you wait for the turbo to come on song to pull the back of the car straight again when you are wrestling with the wheel to straighten up like a bloke with his hands in a basket of snakes! [:D]
I first drove a ZX 1.9i Volcane at launch in 1991 and took the thing round the Hunton Bridge roundabout in Watford really quick. As the car ran wide I backed off the throttle to straighten up. Bad mistake. It flicked the back out. It was then that I learnt about controlling a ZX on the throttle. Moment of panic. [:I] 180 degree spin, oops.[:(]
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon Canfer</i>

JamesUK - Regarding the Aura spec, I can only guess that the Aura you went to see was really a "Reflex"! I had a '92 Aura and it had power steering and alloys. Power steering essential on any diesel in my opinion!
Launch models were (in ascending order) Reflex, Avantage, Aura, Volcane. Reflex nice and basic with a lovely red trim on the dash!! Later "facelift" cars (look for the different bonnet grille) were Dimension and SX. SX had the Volcane-type air dam, keypad immobiliser. These cars had airbag and side impact bars (which seem to me to add quite a bit of weight!)
The Peugeot "connection" arises because as I understand it Peugeot and Citroen are the same company, part of the PSA group. So to save costs they use the same "floorpan" on many cars. The ZX has many, many parts common with the 306. Just checkout the 306 and ZX suspension and engine parts from GSF! But compare the used prices 306 to ZX and you'll see which is the better used buy. Somehow Pug got masses of street cred from their 205 rustbucket.
Just my happeny-worth...
Simon
1998 ZX SX TD
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
ZX SX... now why did they do that? sounds silly!
The ZX-306 price difference is quite amazing, but you have to admit the 3 door 306 is a good looking car!... I'd love a DTurbo!
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Simon.. Fairly recently I was going to buy a 1994 "Aura" for a lady friend (she was paying!!) from an "Auto trader" add. Car was white, fogs, ally's, black rubber door stoppers, bumpers etc etc.. Sure looked like an "Aura" in all 5 photos... When they drove the car up to the showrooms ready for me to view, they discovered it had NO power steering!! and very kindly informed my over the phone, saved me a long drive..
Many thanks though for all the info.. Helps me a lot with my search. [:)]
Hi Jon, Quote:-
"I first drove a ZX 1.9i Volcane at launch in 1991 and took the thing round the Hunton Bridge roundabout in Watford really quick. As the car ran wide I backed off the throttle to straighten up. Bad mistake. It flicked the back out. It was then that I learnt about controlling a ZX on the throttle. Moment of panic. [:I] 180 degree spin, oops. [:(!] " Unquote:-
Lol, I know the feeling and I was expecting something to happen! it reminded me of the old v 12 daimler - jags that had virtually no rear wheel traction in the rain! All sharp bends were an adventure. [:o)] but it taught you good throttle control....
I think my rear.s.fingy must be in good shape as my car responds exactly as you described, (snakes and all sometimes) [:I] lol.. But now I got used to it I love it.. [^] If you got the bottle to keep your foot down and stay cool, the car corners really well.. great fun.. But I have never had any hint of understeer.. Maybe thats a sign of something needing attention?
Cheers, and thanks for all the help and advice.
James...
PS. Arry.. I am off to York tomorrow afternoon, to see a man from "Ebay" re the Volcane interior, more on that later I hope...
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

JamesUK: The non-PAS Aura wasn't a 1.4 petrol by any chance was it? I wouldn't be surprised if early ones missed out on PAS but I think they soon all got it.
Simon
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Simon. .. Nope was deff a 1.9D auto, cant remember for sure but may have been a TD, it was advertised for weeks on "Auto Trader" complete with photo's. People only want "a car like mine" because its a diesel with an automatic gearbox, and they seem to be very rare. Most older petrol autos only seem capable of 20 ish mpg... I ave 40 mpg in mine.. [:o)] [:D]
Interesting facts discovered while changing my car interior today.. The lad doing it has the same car as me except his is manual, we found that you could open-close the lecky windows on both cars with the car keys in your pocket??? they are NOT supposed to do that!! lol.. and the boot on my car has no visable (we looked inside) means of opening other than with a key? his opens-locks with the central locking?? same year, same model, same number plate letter? lol..
Be interesting to 'catagorise' my car now? It has a volcane interior, seats, door trims, and steering wheel, with Cit 14 inch ally's, plus the front fog lamps I had fitted.. [:I] is it now a Vol-tage? or a Vol-Aura-tage? [:o)] lmho..
James...
PS. I saw a lil Black 3 dr "Furio" at the garage today.. hmm [:p] nice!!!![8)] But it was petrol, manual. sob sob [:(]