Oponeo tyres - a warning!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re:

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

addo wrote:I nearly fainted at my local shop recently:

Tyre jockey to customer "Where's the wheel brace?"
(Customer indicates where it's stored.)
Tyre bloke refits wheels, nips up with the air gun, then lowers car, hand torques (and re-checks) every single wheel bolt. Returns wheel brace to inside car.

You wouldn't read about it, eh?
On in a million, that fitter, and I literally mean that. We all know how they normally do the job.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
old-un77
My Cars: Renault 14...now skyward
Renault 19.. skyward also..
'03 Xsara 1.8 Picasso in silver met his maker
'06 Desire, again in silver also gonn to metal heaven

Re: Oponeo tyres - a warning!

Post by old-un77 »

chances are,
The supplied wheel brace will never be man enough to release wheel nuts, after a Airgun wrench has tightened them.
many years ago when in the forklift game, was on my way to Orford Ness, and came across a stranded lady, flat tyre on a mini traveller,the spare was under a bootful of cakes/ confectioneries along with a allen key sized wheel brace....as it happened I had a 18 inch "strong arm " bar in my tool kit....she, on her own would never have managed to change that wheel.......with the supplied tool......Bob
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

old-un77 wrote:the spare was under a bootful of cakes/ confectioneries
I hope she rewarded you with plenty of the items restricting access to the spare wheel Bob :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
old-un77
My Cars: Renault 14...now skyward
Renault 19.. skyward also..
'03 Xsara 1.8 Picasso in silver met his maker
'06 Desire, again in silver also gonn to metal heaven

Post by old-un77 »

My lips are sealed.....as is the Orford Ness Coldwar complex!
LOL
Bob
neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Re:

Post by neil123 »

addo wrote:I think the tyre fitter is a champ. He "gotcha" by removing your chance of a full refund; a subtle way to say "F*** you, for not buying off me".

I might have thought that, but he a) doesn't sell tyres AND b) is a mate. He does a load of stuff on all of my cars, has done for years. Top bloke.

More and more places are happy just getting paid for the fitting.

The lesson I've learned is check and recheck!

The tyres were delivered wrapped in plastic shrinkwrap, in two pairs. He's retrieved the shrinkwrap this morning - its clear from the imprint of the tyre that the pairs of tyres were wrapped with the date codes facing inwards on all four - what a 'coincidence'!

I guess I should have unwrapped them while the courier was there, but really?

I could see the size, speed rating and all that - and they were hardly likely to have been broken in transit, unlike most parcels!

Ah well, onwards and upwards. I still won't buy from OPONEO again, and will always check the date codes before I even think about letting anyone sell me a tyre.

Not the end of the world, just another lost customer - I'm sure they have others!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

What the Germans say

Are all the tyres you sell new?

We exclusively offer new tyres fresh off the production line. Stocked goods older than 2 years are categorised as "DOT" goods and marked with the year of production. By referring to the DOT number at the tyre wall you can identify the calendar week as well as the year of production. Please note that correct storage can enhance the specific properties of the material, as non-immediate exposure to street traffic will allow the rubber mixture to harden over time. According to guidelines by the BRV (German national association for the tyre and vulcaniser trade) tyres are rated as ‘brand-new’ if stored correctly for up to 3 years and as ‘new’ if stored for up to 5 years.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

northern_mike wrote:
neil123 wrote:Actually, although I said I wouldn't reply to Mike again -

You're just wrong!

You said "So, they admit they sell tyres over 36 months old, which some of yours are, and will give you 10% off, or change them IF YOU HAVEN'T used them. Which you have... "

Which of four tyres made in the early part of 2011 do you regard as less than 36 months old? And where does the 'you've used them' bit come from? it isn't a quote from their site

"Oponeo.co.uk will not accept the return under the 14-day return policy or if the products were fitted (wheels to the car or tyres, tyres to wheels)"

I'm not really sure how much clearer that bit could be....

" In the case in which in spite of our efforts the tyres bought by our customers are older than 24 months, we give the customers choice. They decide whether we take back the tyre on our own expense or whether we give them proper discount. Its amount is 5% for tyres which the date of production is between 24-36 months and 10% for tyres which are older than 36 months"

Or that bit...

I'm sorry you feel like you've been had, but everything you are calling them dishonest about is written in plain English on their site.... They can't be blamed if you didn't read them can they?
http://www.onlineshoppingrights.co.uk/m ... pping.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems the online site is misleading to draw you in and purchase, did it say buy now in next 10 minutes or lose out with a countdown timer, some sites do this for the same reason to make you buy without checking the full facts. As a xantia owner I'm a shrewd ba****d, but Currys/Pc world still try and fork me over.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

If you buy anything from Currys/Pc world they wont accept it back if you've cut through the security tape or opened the packaging, but then if their damage to the item, what happens then, I was in that position on Tuesday. Rotten Sods (particular store)
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I suspect your basic consumer rights override such issues as goods delivered in damaged state, or contracts made where one party was not in a capacity to contract (ie, actively dissuaded from reading the full terms of engagement).
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Currys' terms & conditions are quite clear - faulty or damaged goods can be returned (or collection arranged) up to 21 days following delivery, quite apart from your legal rights. I'd give their head office a ring.
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

dnsey wrote:Currys' terms & conditions are quite clear - faulty or damaged goods can be returned (or collection arranged) up to 21 days following delivery, quite apart from your legal rights. I'd give their head office a ring.
Long story but the manager offered an exchange or replacement, but I had to go and collect as one wasn't available for delivery (none in store stock) for at least 2-4 weeks and nearest store was just under 20 miles. The Know how chap kept transferring himself to an internal number (he was trying to get through to customer services at KNOW HOW to get an "RA number", they wouldn't give him one (never told me reason why) they definitely "KNOW HOW" to fork things up
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi