Oponeo tyres - a warning!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: Oponeo tyres - a warning!

Post by Northern_Mike »

neil123 wrote:Actually, although I said I wouldn't reply to Mike again -

You're just wrong!

You said "So, they admit they sell tyres over 36 months old, which some of yours are, and will give you 10% off, or change them IF YOU HAVEN'T used them. Which you have... "

Which of four tyres made in the early part of 2011 do you regard as less than 36 months old? And where does the 'you've used them' bit come from? it isn't a quote from their site

"Oponeo.co.uk will not accept the return under the 14-day return policy or if the products were fitted (wheels to the car or tyres, tyres to wheels)"

I'm not really sure how much clearer that bit could be....

" In the case in which in spite of our efforts the tyres bought by our customers are older than 24 months, we give the customers choice. They decide whether we take back the tyre on our own expense or whether we give them proper discount. Its amount is 5% for tyres which the date of production is between 24-36 months and 10% for tyres which are older than 36 months"

Or that bit...

I'm sorry you feel like you've been had, but everything you are calling them dishonest about is written in plain English on their site.... They can't be blamed if you didn't read them can they?
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

neil123 wrote:Mike - you said 'which some of yours are' - presumably meaning some , you think, aren't?

I think you're the one who is having reading problems. Read your own post.

You making stuff up as you go along, Huh?

See ya. No more replies to you!
What you mean is "oh dear, I should have read the FAQ and checked the products when they were delivered"...
neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

No Mike - the 14 day returns period is to comply with the Distance Selling Regulations (cooling off period) in other words if someone just changes their mind.

It doesn't and can't cover misdescription or the supply of unsatisfactory goods.

You are taking two separate paragraphs and reading them as though they are one.

If a company's own website says 'we don't sell tyres more than 18 months from date of production' on the home page as a reason for buying, why should I have to read further to discover they don't actually mean that?

Absolute con as far as I'm concerned. You disagree, fine, but don't misquote from the site to 'prove' I'm wrong - I ain't.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Well, all I'd like to say is thanks to Neil, for putting us on our guard, which was the reason he posted. I guess every now and then, we receive goods (tyres or whatever) that's not quite as we expected. In this case, they are winter tyres, so I guess minimal opportunity for the supplier to ensure stock turnover once spring arrives, but doesn't explain why they weren't sold for winter 2013.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Cheers Martin.

That was indeed my reason for posting - no doubt all will have a view one way or the other.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

neil123 wrote:No Mike - the 14 day returns period is to comply with the Distance Selling Regulations (cooling off period) in other words if someone just changes their mind.

It doesn't and can't cover misdescription or the supply of unsatisfactory goods.

You are taking two separate paragraphs and reading them as though they are one.
No, I'm not, and I haven't misquoted anything.

One paragraph clearly states that occasionally, older tyres slip through and get sold. It states you can return them, or have a discount.

The other paragraph, unrelated, and standard T&Cs states that if you've fitted the tyres, you can't return them. That's standard in any tyre company T&C.

Here, you didn't inspect the goods on arrival, and had them fitted.

This isn't the company's fault. There's nothing unsatisfactory and no misdescription anywhere. There may be something misleading on their website front page, but legally, they've got it all covered. They say quite clearly they'll take them back or give you a part discount if they're over a certain age. They say quite clearly in their T&Cs that they won't refund fitted tyres.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Xantidote wrote:Well, all I'd like to say is thanks to Neil, for putting us on our guard, which was the reason he posted. I guess every now and then, we receive goods (tyres or whatever) that's not quite as we expected. In this case, they are winter tyres, so I guess minimal opportunity for the supplier to ensure stock turnover once spring arrives, but doesn't explain why they weren't sold for winter 2013.
Yes, I'd better tell you never to buy a cooker from Currys because they're a bunch of shysters who deliver cookers that have been dropped...then install them without telling you. Don't ever buy from them!! I'll be putting this info all over the web..
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Well to be honest, I wouldn't buy anything from Curry's either.

Long story!

But - onwards and upwards. I shant buy from Oponeo again, and will check the dates of tyres when delivered. I accept it would have been better to do that, but it infuriates me that the company clearly couldn't care less.

Their choice - and now ours. Either way.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Ok impartial 3rd party here. I looked at the website, if you click the 5 reasons to buy from us it does clearly say "We do not sell tyres older than 18 months from their date of production." There is no mention on the front/homepage of tyre age.

If you then check the F and Q tab the information that was pasted into this thread is there, word for word, at the bottom of the page as it is the last post.

Personally I'm no legal expert but my feelings are as follows.

The links that a customer will possibly read are both one click away and contradictory. However on the home page it says all tyres we sell are brand new, now BRAND New is different to new. New means unused and first hand, brand new means just made. I personally would not consider a tyre brand new if it were over a year old. I guess there is a level of opinion here though (and thats if you agree with me).

In this case the customer had read the 1st link, stating that tyres are under 18months old and also the front page stating they are brand new. Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 goods must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. I believe the goods are not as described, based on age.

I'm not sure when the tyres were delivered or if they have been driven on but if not you have the right to a full refund, if they have you have the right to a reduction on the purchase price, or your money back, minus an amount for the usage you've had of the goods (called recision.) As this is what they offer on the website I don't see you getting any new tyres. they are well aware of the law. I would take the 10% refund, press for 20% due to the inconsistent website, and not use them again. There looks to be an argument in your favour, but for the hassle I wouldn't bother if it were my tyres. The most I feel you are likely to achieve is to get the website made more honest by reporting to trading standards that it is misleading and dishonest. This isn't going to get you 6 month old tyres though.

Now this has been brought to my attention I won't be using them until the website is clearer. Granted the tyres I bought only came out this year so the other 2 can't be old when I get them. I don't like being mislead though and I think that Openeos site seems to have been written with a mind to avoiding legal responsibilities in an underhand manner.
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Yep, I think that's a pretty fair summary.

Take the discount, life's too short.

Never deal with them again.

Report misleading website to TS.

Spread the word widely - this is one of about 50 sites I've posted it on, so far.

Cheers.

Neil
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I think the tyre fitter is a champ. He "gotcha" by removing your chance of a full refund; a subtle way to say "F*** you, for not buying off me".
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:I think the tyre fitter is a champ. He "gotcha" by removing your chance of a full refund; a subtle way to say "F*** you, for not buying off me".
There is that too... my local tyre fitter will always beat any online price by a couple of quid if I ask, same tyre, same spec, fitted and balanced. The Toyos that went on the Berlingo were £52 each fitted. I could have got them for £47 delivered.. but a tenner for fitting. I buy them off him, he lost £3 on his £55 price. Everyone's happy.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I try to support the local mob too, as you say it's F&B plus tyre scrappage in their price vs 100% on-costs for the internet sale.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I support my local mob and as a result they will repair a puncture for me and my family for free if it's repairable along with other little actions that give a warm feeling that you have done the right thing dealing with them...

Plus they get to know you and your needs...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I nearly fainted at my local shop recently:

Tyre jockey to customer "Where's the wheel brace?"
(Customer indicates where it's stored.)
Tyre bloke refits wheels, nips up with the air gun, then lowers car, hand torques (and re-checks) every single wheel bolt. Returns wheel brace to inside car.

You wouldn't read about it, eh?