Xantia wont start, Need New ECU

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aneesh84
My Cars:

Re: Xantia wont start

Post by aneesh84 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Make sure, if you do decide to buy a Lexia, that it has a higher version of DiagBox than 5.29. The Chinese clones have had some of their firmware blacklisted, and can only work with versions up to 5.29.

You must also make sure that the O/S of the computer you are going to use is 32bit, or can have a decent 32bit Virtual Machine with clean access to the USB systems. This is because Lexia is a very old piece of software, and cannot function in a 64bit environment.

Diagbox is a smart piece of software, and will, when the need arises, call up the Lexia or Planet Peugeot software.

And what is PP2000 used for ?

Does this seem appropriate?

http://www.custojusto.pt/lisboa/pecas-c ... ox-3764906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Xantia Estate 1999 2.0 HDI 110
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

That seems a long the right lines, though my Spanish is better than my Portuguese. You could probably get one from Easydiagnostics.co.uk sent out to you which will be a known good one, - that is, if you don't mind it working in English, though I think you can install the software in other languages.

http://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk/#/shop ... ce/8000814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's actually slightly cheaper (I work the Portguese one out to be £106 GBP) but you'd have to pay postage on top.

I have nothing to do with Easydiagnostics, I know plenty of people have used them and been satisfied with the products and help received.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I also have one from Easy Diagnostics, and when I mentioned that I was a forum member they didn't charge me P&P. I cannot say if they would do the same for shipping outside of the UK.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I do believe mine came from Easydiagnostics too, when it was new. I am the second or third custodian of it. I can't get it to connect to Bertie or the C5 for some reason though, I wanted to do a scan on Bertie.
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

I went to the Dealer again today and according to them they already tried with the Lexia and my ECU has a problem.

There was a dealer shop near theirs selling a "Unblocked" ECU for 600 Euros. I think its a rip off.

I desperately need your advise. Is it possible to program a old ECU from another scrapped car and use it in mine?
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

aneesh84 wrote:I went to the Dealer again today and according to them they already tried with the Lexia and my ECU has a problem.

There was a dealer shop near theirs selling a "Unblocked" ECU for 600 Euros. I think its a rip off.

I desperately need your advise. Is it possible to program a old ECU from another scrapped car and use it in mine?
If you could find the same model of car, and get the engine ECU, the CPH, the ignition lock, the keys, and the door handles, it would be a pretty simple job to swap them all over with no reprogramming needed. I'm not sure how feasible that is for you...
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

northern_mike wrote:
aneesh84 wrote:I went to the Dealer again today and according to them they already tried with the Lexia and my ECU has a problem.

If you could find the same model of car, and get the engine ECU, the CPH, the ignition lock, the keys, and the door handles, it would be a pretty simple job to swap them all over with no reprogramming needed. I'm not sure how feasible that is for you...
Why does it need a new ignition lock? just the antenna of the other car fitted to my car lock wont do?

And what about with just the ECU from another car? Can it be programmed with a lexia?
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
aneesh84
My Cars:

Re: Xantia wont start, Need New ECU

Post by aneesh84 »

superloopy wrote:Nope. As i understand it you either need the original pairing of cph and ecu OR, as you've tried, an unlocked ecu although i think that this option affects the alarm state of the car (anyone confirm?). A lexia will come in useful and given that price of 600euro for an unlocked ecu i would chance buying a lexia and giving it a go before shelling out for an unlocked ecu.
I have finally decided on buying an unlocked ECU from the UK. With shipping it will cost me less than 100 euros.

Can you confirm that if the ECU has a lot of registered alert alarms, like non-communication with CPH, that are not cleared can it lead to the ECU stopping to work?
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a very good price for an unlocked ECU. Is that on an exchange basis?

No, generally, stored faults in an ECU should not stop it working. It might cause it to use default parameters for some functions but that should be all.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

No. Not exchange.

It is MLB services UK
http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/mlb-service-u ... 7675.l2559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They will unlock the ECU for 20 pounds, and the same ECU as mine is available for 29 pounds here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-406-E ... 3399b22032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

CitroJim wrote:
No, generally, stored faults in an ECU should not stop it working. It might cause it to use default parameters for some functions but that should be all.
Well then I doubt that the Lexia shoudl help. My old ECU was already unlocked so it couldnt have been an immobiliser problem. And since my car worked on another unlocked ECU, my ECU must be defective.
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

How do you know your original ecu was already unlocked?

Maybe, as Jim mentioned afew posts ago, your ecu and cph had got themselves in a bit of a state whereby the immobiliser wasnt functioning correctly allowing it to beep for the 30secs and now its fully 'unpaired'.
Because it was like that since 2 years since i bought the car. Even with the ECU out, I checked the car beeps for 30 seconds and then stops. So thats what the CPH does when it cant communicate with the ECU. So I believe it was always unpaired.
For that price i'd go for the unlocked ecu and live with the beeping forever!
Its just for 30 seconds! But if it annoys me too much i can pull out the speaker behind the indicators! :-P

But .. a tidier solution would be to try and pair your existing units so dont bin that old ecu :wink: just in case you ever get a lexia in future.
I plan to get a lexia and play around with the old ecu. If i get it working i'll have a backup. Also if i get a lexia i wont have to every go to that dealership again! But something i'll leave for my free time. :-)

Does that price include reprogramming the ecu?
It includes unlocking the ecu, not reprogramming. Once it is unlocked, you just put it in any car and start it. no need for any programming! You should have considered this option when your car was waiting for 2 years. :-)
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

I got the other ECU. The car seems to be starting for 1 second and then turning off. This doesnt happen with the old ECU. Could it be any other issue?

Also I just noticed that the RPM needle was stuck on the other side of the gauge (the extreme red side). I didnt see when that happened.
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The second problem is caused by a low battery.

It is very common and there's a few threads on here on the methods that can be used to resolve it...

The first issue really needs a Lexia read to see if that offers any clues...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

CitroJim wrote:The second problem is caused by a low battery.

It is very common and there's a few threads on here on the methods that can be used to resolve it...

The first issue really needs a Lexia read to see if that offers any clues...

Yes my battery was completely flat the first time I tested with a new ECU. Then I used my friend's car to jump start.

I will be ordering a lexia now.
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh