xantia+brake fluid in LHM tank

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dek1965

xantia+brake fluid in LHM tank

Post by dek1965 »

looks like i have put 250ml of brake fluid in the lhm tank, what effect will this have?
should i flush it out with hydraflush or will a small amount like that not matter?
davey
My Cars:

Post by davey »

If the car has not been started and the brake fluid has not been circulated throughout the system disconnect all the lhm tank hoses, remove it and drain. Ideal opportunity to clean mesh filters and tank anyway. Refit and refill.
dek1965

Post by dek1965 »

car has been run for a couple of weeks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

" car has been run for a couple of weeks "
- which means a thorough cleaning of the system is needed ASAP.
Use the special Citroen cleaning fluid Hydracleanse - instead of the normal LHM oil - then run it for at least 1Kmile in the car - better 3Kmiles.
It's NOT just replacing the fluid in the container - it's a complete fluid replacing job :
http://citroenz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27
The important thing to remember is that any contaminated fluid left in pipes/hoses/cylinders are diluted - twice - as you end up shifting out the hydracleanse with LHM again.
Please don't take shortcuts - as it may cost you an arm & leg [B)]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'd be inclined to go one step further.
Put a couple of litres of thin (say SAE10) mineral engine oil into the system & bleed it thoroughly through via the brake bleeders & anywhere else that has a bleeder screw.
If necessary, do this again before putting the cleaner in as Anders says. Drain it & then when the flush is in there, bleed the engine oil out until the Hydraflush starts to come through. This way you should shift most of the hydraulic poison and at worst dilute what's left with something more compatible with the seals etc.
Do it as soon as possible because don't lose sight of the fact that the LHM has some slight lubricating properties whereas I don't think normal hydraulic fluid does and hence may set off some excessive wear.
Alan S