Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Elmas Xantia V6 and tails of Kelvin

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote: It struck me today as I walked up to it in the supermarket carpark that the excitement of owning this car isn't wearing off. I still walk over in a state of excitement, often talking to the car as I unlock it and get in. I'm surprised that I don't need to go and drive a normal car for a bit to remember how spoilt I am but I don't which I see as a good thing.

I know the feeling well James :D

It's even stronger with an Activa ;)

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

I just walk back to it looking under to see if it is leaking.......

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:I just walk back to it looking under to see if it is leaking.......

:rofl2: I do that too :)

I think we all do Alasdair... I even do it on the Pug of Love...

It's become an engrained habit now - and has been for as long as I've run hydraulic Citroens...

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

I never look under the Kia, nor have I with the AX when it visits :)

elma

Post by elma »

:rofl2:
I do that too even though I know mine is leaking.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Stickyfinger wrote:I just walk back to it looking under to see if it is leaking.......

Likewise...and I always know the answer is "yes" to EP90 from three places, engine oil and antifreeze. Though only the latter two actually produce regular drips, and will hopefully be resolved soon with a bunch of new hose clamps and rocker cover gasket.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I even check my bikes for leaks...

elma

Post by elma »

Nothing to say about the car today.

Thought I'd share this little project that's been going on for about 5-6 months.
Own work
Own work
Own work
Own work
It all started when I bought a cheapo fake telecaster for £1, that's a story in itself and took about 3 years. I was just going to put some ok pickups on it and play it but got carried away. The body has now been customised and contoured. It will be finished by lichtenberg burning some patterns onto the front.

It's having a mahogany neck and fretboard, found a nice piece in the stores. That little block is an offcut being used as a colour sample.

The scratch plate will be flowjet stainless steel as will the silver coated part of the bridge which a friend is milling out for me. I only bought the bridge for the brass bits and so my miller has a template. The rest of the hardware will be a mixture of SS and brass, with all screws in brass.

A friend of mine is responsible for all the woodwork, including fabricating the neck and fretboard. The deal we have is I will wind a set of pickups for his Stratocaster which he is also making in return for the woodwork.

The electrics are quite unique on this guitar. I'm winding my own pickups and using push button tone pots instead of a selector switch. I've chosen to use 3 pots. Arranged so that each pickup has a volume pot that is tapped to turn the pickup on or off. It will also have one tone pot, wired in the conventional telecaster manner but with the bonus of being a push switch as well which will swap the pickups between series and parallel wiring. I'm quite interested in the effect of having seperate volumes as telecasters drown out the neck pickup when both are on so hopefully I can balance them nicely.

There's a few other touches like mushroom shape strap mounts, again in stainless. The only part I'm struggling to find is a set of stainless or brass tuning pegs. I'd like the capstans and tuners stainless with the rest brass, very tall order really. My brother thinks he has a contact in America that can help but likely at the same cost as the rest of the guitar.

There's still a few things to decide like the type of frets and truss rod to use but I've a good idea where I'm going with those bits. Just some research to do before making a firm decision.

Amazingly this project has been totally poo pooed on the custom telecaster forum as it's not done with standard wiring or as an exact replica of a specific year and model of telecaster. I'm not sure why but I wish they were a bit more like fcf, the project would've been a lot easier with advice from like minded people.

I think it'll take about 6 more months to finish then project build an amp will be started.
Last edited by elma on 21 Apr 2017, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Leo Fender had to start somewhere. You are not trying to alter his work, just find your own interpretation of it.

elma

Post by elma »

Exactly, it's just a bit of fun that's being wired as I've always thought a guitar should be. It's cost under £100 so far and given me a lot of pleasure which was the entire point. I'll have a stunning, unique guitar built to fit and suit me when it's finished which I could never have afforded to buy.

I'd love an early Tele, especially with the ashtray bridge in the chalky pastel colours. They cost about as much as I earn in a year though so this is my modern Tele tribute and I'm sure Leo Fender would be pleased to see it if he were here.

This is what I started with.
Own Work
Own Work
IMG_20160912_072101.jpg (30.46 KiB) Viewed 29 times
It was an AXL with a rather bent neck and the worst electronics you could imagine.
It will probably have "Hobit" as the name on the headstock as it's the name most people know me by for some reason.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Lovely job James :D Now what you want to do is build yourself a nice valve amp with spring reverb and a speaker enclosure to go with it ;)

On those topics, as you well know, I can be of great assistance...

I will be following this guitar build with interest :D

In fact, I'm thinking I must get back into it...

I have a lovely Vintage Fender Strat in lake Placid Blue and a Fender Champ Amp sitting here being nothing more than an ornament at present, albeit a very lovely ornament!

elma

Post by elma »

Yes your guitar and amp are lovely, we had a good play on them when I stayed at yours if you remember. It was the main reason I felt the need to own a guitar again. I've always had a guitar since my teens but had to sell my last one a while ago to survive. Now I'm back on track I need another. I've got my eye out for a steel sprung acoustic as well in the local charity shops but so far only Nylon strung has turned up.

You've hit the nail on the head with the amp except I hadn't thought about reverb. I know a sound engineer who makes his own amps and pedals and I've been struck by the amazing sound he gets from a tiny amp. I intend to make something slightly larger than a shoebox, using valves and I expect it to be quite pokey. No research done yet though, it's next years project and I'll be in touch when the time comes. The Fender Amps, like yours, are absolutely stunning. I would actually buy a small one to use with the guitar whilst I'm building my own one should I find a bargain. Even if a little old one didn't turn up a more modern Roc Pro 1000 would be amazing and they seem to change hands for peanuts nowadays.

My amp will be slightly different as I want it free of 50Hz hum. It will be powered by a motorbike battery or similar and totally shielded using self adhesive copper sheet. The guitars electrics are being shielded in the same way and by the metal scratch plate.

mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Guitars are wonderful. I've recently started playing again after a 25 year break! Got lessons sorted, bought myself an Epihone Les Paul Special just like this..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0002C ... ref=plSrch

I got mine for £99 on one of their deals of the day :) It plays like a £600 guitar according to my teacher. My little £15 s/h Fender 10w amp does for me for now.

I'm no Clapton. I'm happy to be able to bash out the rhythm section of Highway to Hell or Sweet Home Alabama.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

elma

Post by elma »

Is your amp a frontman 15g? Just had a look on eBay when you mentioned £15 which I found almost unbelievable. Seems that model typically changes hands for about £30 so would be ideal to get me going while I build the amp.

These projects are not fast for me as I'm so busy. Hence something like that would be perfect to get me going for a year or so while I build my own. I don't have much space either so a little amp with a big sound is the requirement.

mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

It is indeed a 15g. I picked it up off eBay for £15 plus a fiver postage last year. It's a great little amp and sounds far more expensive than it really is.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk