Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

elma

Re: Elmas Xantia V6 and the joys of the countryside

Post by elma »

So the short rubber hose in the middle seems to be leaking at the bottom, that looks fairly easy, well it's a tricky clip but a job I can do here.
.jpg
I'm not sure thats the only leak though because of where the most of the gunk is. Thats the bit I tried to describe earlier as the rear uppermost mounting bolt area.
IMG_20170314_112459.jpg
Does that tally with your suspicions at all Jim.

No big difference on this car doing the bounces I'm hoping LHM pressure is the culprit and this is the fix. Theres 2 smaller leaks still on I think the pressure regulator, but it may have been the front hydractive block. I haven't looked at that bit for months, it'll move up the list to be done when I've sorted the pump.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, that's the one James - the little stub hose at the end of the concertina pipe...

LHM is notorious for a little going a very long way when you are looking at leaks.. Only sure way is to clean all with great care and then watch the progress of ay leaks on clean surfaces...

Are you hearing big, loud clicks from the electrovalves James or soft fluffy ones?

elma

Post by elma »

Had to look, wish I hadn't.
IMG_20170314_113850.jpg
IMG_20170314_113901.jpg
I remember clunks being quite good.
I'm off to double check.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

V6 Pressure Regulators are shocking for leaking from there James.... Moreso than other Xantias...

I always put it down to heat...

I've not fixed one leaking like that as I've always let Pleiades dot he work but it is possible. There is guidance on here or Deanxm can advise...

elma

Post by elma »

Does click and does go into hard mode on both axels, a very noticeable difference.

It certainly doesn't ride Xantia soft so maybe I need centre spheres.

The fronts firmer than the rear in soft mode as well so I'm sure thats made it more noticeable.

I have some spare spheres in my container in Wales, plus a Pleides tool so hopefully theres 2 centre ones there.

The leak has built up fluid over time. When I got the car it was 2 or 3 little leaks that dribbled. I couldn't reach any of it to fix it and was short on time so it's built up for months.

As you said a good clean first then pinpoint it.

elma

Post by elma »

Can anyone confirm the internal diameter of my leaky pipe? From Service citroen I think it is 6.25mm but it is quite unclear and it looks like it should be bigger than that from what I can see.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

V6 pumps have a bigger one James... Either 8 or 10mm from memory... 10 I think...

I can check later this afternoon... Remind me ;)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

CitroJim wrote:V6 pumps have a bigger one James... Either 8 or 10mm from memory... 10 I think...
Just checked James... Good job I did.. it's 12.5mm. Go for 12mm ID and it'll be lovely and tight then...

elma

Post by elma »

Thankyou Jim, I'm going to order some pipe and 2 new clips right away.

Maybe tomorrow now, best I can find is i/d 12.7mm o/d 19.0mm. I hope that will fit, the vast majority of 12.7mm hoses are 20mm o/d.
Better measure tomorrow before jumping in.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The ID will be OK James... OD will likely be OK too with careful manipulation of the Jubilee clip...

elma

Post by elma »

Looks like it will fit to me as well. Got the vegetable peeler on standby just in case.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote: Got the vegetable peeler on standby just in case.
Just don't eat what you peel!

elma

Post by elma »

Still waiting for the pipe so not going to get that done this weekend.

I've booked the tracking for a week Monday.

Went looking for the aerial lead this morning, under the passenger carpet. Didn't find the lead but did find some water. Anyone got any idea where the aerial lead should be, I remember a connection under the passengers feet.
My puddle is coolant free so I assume it's leaked down the windscreen scuttle. I'll be taking out seats and carpet tomorrow in an attempt to dry it. I have building site dehumidifiers here so the drink should be fairly easy. Seen as matrix is on the to do list I guess a piece of gaffer tape will make a nice temporary seal.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

Prop up the plastic/foam section at the front/up, that foam gets very wet as well....................DO NOT break the plastic screen scuttle..they are NFP.....They do NOT like to be cold when bent, warming them with a hair dryer would be a safe technique.

elma

Post by elma »

I'm not going to disturb it yet, just tape it down until summer.

The foams prity soaked, I'm thinking carpets out. Been years since I took out a set but I don't remember it being a terrible job.

I might find my aerial connector with the carpets out too, I know it's under there somewhere and probably rusted as well now.