Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

elma

Re: Elmas Xantia V6 and the joys of the countryside

Post by elma »

It's already 3/4 gone, the exterior doesn't look bad but all the wheelarches, nooks and crannies are full of 20 years of dirt. The panels above the rear wheelarches feel a lot thinner than they should and flex a lite more than normal when touched.

I need to get it in the air and do a proper assessment but I don't think I got this one early enough to save the body. I do hope I'm wrong though and passing the mot without advisories is promising.

Peter.N.
Donor 2020

Post by Peter.N. »

Unfortunately they go in places that you can't see, my last one went rotten around the windscreen, I didn't know until I went to have a new one fitted for the MOT. The amount of work required was more than I could afford (I'm not much good at welding thin metal) so sadly it had to go.

If you have the ability and equipment to DIY or the money to be able to throw at it that's fine but sadly mine had to go, the chap that bought it from me was going to refurbish it, he started but then found there was to much rust so he broke it for spares.

I very much miss my XMs, I ran hydropnumatic Citroens for about 30 years, but I have bought a couple of 406s for a lot less than the cost of repairs to my last one. I very pleased that some of you are keeping them alive.

Peter

elma

Post by elma »

That's exactly how it is. I'm here with a barn for 6 months so if I can afford a welder it's got a decent chance. The rear door shut that had gone ended up not as bad as I thought, maybe I'll get lucky.

I'll post pictures later of the door shut, I'm off to London to stay with a friend who has broadband in his house and actual running water! I'm being ripped off to the tune of £1 per 50mb on my mobile now I'm over my allowance. Need to nip that in the bud, my welder budgets dissipating into the internet.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:Wouldn't be do bad if I could reach any of it. The xud9 seems compact in hindsight.

Accessibility is surprisingly good once you get into it James... Some aspects make the XUD look very tight and inaccessible indeed.

Thing is, the ES9 was designed from scratch with accessibility in mind whereas the XUD has evolved with all the issues such an evolution invariably brings...

elma

Post by elma »

I thought it was time for a little update even though I have little to say. Xantia is getting favourable reports, not having any cold related issues whatsoever. Another tub of Forte stop leak is on order as I'm worried about the ever decreasing concentration of antifreeze. It's returning to me mid February, date to be confirmed. I'm ever so excited as the Scenic really doesn't like the roads round here which are mostly mud covered single track. It can't really take the weight of tools either and if I go out further than into town generally I'm off to one of the companies rental properties to do repairs so the Xantia will make a far better vehicle for me.

I'll be waving goodbye to the Scenic a few weeks after the Xantia returns. I don't need two cars at all and I'm doing so few personal miles now that I can easily afford the V6. Work pays mileage on the basis of what it costs so I could run an F1 car and it would still be ok. I just want to keep it 3-4 weeks so I can give the Xantia a good going over without worrying about stranding myself. Afterwards I plan on doing the track rod end and front pads on the Scenic then it shall be ready for its new owner whoever that may be.

Caravans improving day by day, my toilet works properly now. I had one of the plumbers come and swap the waste pipe from 25mm to 100mm as it should be. Makes such a difference being able to flush it properly even if it is a urine only toilet. We've been really cold this week, to the extent that I couldn't sleep. I got fed up of it yesterday and bought an electric blanket which enabled me to get a good nights sleep last night. Always thought they were for strange people but now I have one I'm totally hooked. I have a water pump arriving tomorrow to bring the shower pressure up to acceptable and also some 12v leds for the Kitchen.

Kelvins having a great time as he's got a kong on a rope, he just brings it to me while I'm working and I hurl it into the fields. Endless fun if you are a Dog. He's got a vet appointment on Monday which will probably result in surgery to remove a lump thats fluid filled and didn't respond to antibiotics. He had a bit of infection as well but thats all cleared up now. Bit worried as he's 13 now and I hate the idea of him having surgery but it's got to be done. He hasn't noticed there is a problem at all, just focussed fully on his Kong, the fire and my dinner.

So actually I had a fair bit to say, normal blogging should be resumed when I get the Xantia back.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent James... Good to see all is looking good :)

It'll be good to have the Xantia back where it belongs - with you!

elma

Post by elma »

Not feeling amazing this morning.
I've never known cold like this, even when I lived 360m up Snowdon.
My duvet was so cold last night it negated all the warmth from the electric blanket underneath.
Have to go find a super thick down filled duvet today and insulate under the floor which is just 10mm thick scant timbers.
I will make this place warm.

Peter.N.
Donor 2020

Post by Peter.N. »

Well done James, you're making progress. On the subject of cold, we have always had an electric blanket, couldn't sleep without one, the bedroom needs to be heated to about 20C as well, but then anything below 25C is cold to me unless I am working.

We built a conservatory about 5 or 6 years ago, best investment we have made, it faces south east, I was sitting out there yesterday and it was 26C and with the sun shining on me as well I was to hot, a very unusual situation. Not only does it keep me warm but if you open the door to the lounge (when the sun is shining) it keeps that and the kitchen warm as well, must save quite a lot in heating. I picked about half a pound of tomatoes from the plants that have been there all year last week - delicious!

My wife doesn't have the same problem as me so when we had the C5 and one of the XMs with dual zone heating it suited us fine, the 406 doesn't so she has the window open while I sit there with the heater on full belt.

Peter

elma

Post by elma »

My caravan holds 20-25 deg c with the heater and fire on which is nice.
It's only at night with the fire off it all goes wrong, last night I had Ice inside the windows and it was awful.
I'm still by the fire in a puffa coat warming up before I go out to work.
I'm only really concerned about the bedroom as thats where I am when the fires off.
I think 100mm Kingspan under the floor should be a good first step and also a sheet of perspex bonded over the window creating an almost double glazing effect.
I already have 2 electric radiators in the bedroom but the seem to do naff all, I expect if I took them away I'd notice though.
I'll get that lot done today and I've just ordered a 15 tog feather duvet cover. Hopefully that will be enough or I shall be installing one of the underfloor heating kits from the stores next.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Build a greenhouse around it!

elma

Post by elma »

I like that, I could grow veg all year round. Have to be a plastic one, dog and I are far to clumsy for glass.

Next big problem is water supply freezing. It comes up from a 40m well in a 75?mm pipe to the water tank. Then down to the caravans in 75mm which tapers to 25mm to supply the caravans. The 25mm definitely freeze solid as I can feel when trying to flex as does the tank. Not sure how I'm going to manage this yet, more lagging will help but not solve and I cannot fit heaters as it's drinking water and I don't fancy legionella etc.

I wonder if I can fit an agitator or circulating pump in the tank and turn our closed supply into a loop back to the tank on a pump as a solution. It's a lot of work and expense for a maybe, better get the plumber on the phone.

Peter.N.
Donor 2020

Post by Peter.N. »

That would suit me fine. 8-)

Peter

elma

Post by elma »

So we buried the water pipes and now it's too blooming warm with my tog15 down filled duvet. I stupidly gave the thin one to the dog so I need another new one. Speaking of dog he's rather pleased with himself tonight as he had a Rump Steak and an Aracuna egg (blue one). It was a reward for scaring off some dodgy van men that came snooping down here and got all nasty when asked to leave. Kelvin did the loyal dog thing (teeth, heckles and saliva) as soon as voices were raised and they backed off rapidly.

I have finally been reunited with my Xantia as well, it's so nice to have back and the Scenics gone. I don't fancy another Mk2 Scenic, they do the job but are not loveable like the Mk1. Xantias all the way for me, well until we don't have engines anyway. Theres no other car I get the same pleasure from except for motorhomes and they aren't actually cars.

I don't have any of my car tools here yet, they are due in a month so it's a little bit frustrating that I cannot get the car steering and braking correctly just yet. The headliners got worse as well so I suppose I can tackle one little issue without tools. The LHM leaks are still there too and I'm not sure if the coolants leaking or I can just smell what leaked previously as it's not using water anymore but it still smells like it is. I've had a bit of a personal crisis lately so the Xantia project is just what I need to soothe my mind.

I really love this car and am very excited about the prospect of getting it whipped back into shape. The rust is not as bad as I remembered and I think it's well worth the effort. I need my jet wash back as well, the cars filthy and I feel ashamed. I saw a nice looking red Xantia going in the other direction today and I didn't wave because I didn't want to draw attention to my brown and blue one. It's never going to be a show winner, far too many dents and scratches but it is a real beauty and I love it's V6 growl.

I'll have the ability to post pics again soon and will be showing you all around the car. For now I cannot as the satellite broadband I am using is pricey on the upload. I'm being given an iPad with a ridiculous amount of data for personal use by the boss though as I whinge a lot about the internet and I've worked so hard I seem to be getting lots of little rewards including a little house with a log burner!

When I do get my picture upload ability I'll show you all what 12 lorrys of trees and shrubs looks like too. The company bought a garden centre and sent it here. It's amazing, so many birds and butterflies have taken up residence amongst the new garden. It's become part of my job to look after it all which is a nice change from construction work. I find it very rewarding.

Anyway I'm off for a little joyride, nothing crazy because I don't trust the steering and brakes yet. Just waft down to the petrol station and go for a little burble down some roads I haven't explored yet. I love exploring new places so moving here wasn't a bad idea.

Oh if anyones selling a V6 with mot please let me know. The guy I lent the Xantia is after one now =D> . I went to look at a 406Coupe for him but it clearly had a blown head gasket so wasn't bought. I'll be putting a wanted ad up soon but no harm mentioning it here for now.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

James, excellent to see you back and a great update :)

elma

Post by elma »

It's really good to be back, I just wish it had been a shorter break as I have 8 pages of posts to catch up on. It was only 7 when I went to bed this morning, can't complain that the forums busy though.