Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Re: The joy of living in the countryside

Post by Gibbo2286 »

elma wrote:I'm well used to it having moved to the mountains 12 years ago. Just surprised that it's so harsh down here without the altitude. Waters defrosted now anyway and I stayed warm lugging 20 empty gas bottles back up to the cage. My predecessor was quite lazy and there's plenty to do here as a result.
Elma a brilliant name, I've never met a real Elma. I was christened with it when I joined the yha as I had an air rifle and gathered a lot of my own food.
I didn't know an Elma until I did some work on the family tree, we always knew her as Alma, then when searching couldn't find her, finally found her listed as Elinor, the m became in mis-transcribed from her birth records.
elma

Post by elma »

It's looking like no frost tonight, still leaving the tap dripping though.

I spent most of the afternoon lying down with a rare migraine so I'm doing a bit of caravan refurbishment presently. I don't think I'll tire until 3-4am having rested in the day.

I have got my work cut out for me but I live to work so it's really good. Kelvin comes out with me for most of the day which is lovely. Having surveyed the site I predict after 2 months graft there'll be little work left to do at which point I plan on restoring the Xantia and building Kelv an agility course. Managing my own time is excellent too, I seem to have far more of it for my interests. You'll find that I'm far more active on the forum now my spare time isn't so rare and overbooked. Well once my Internet's sorted anyway, it's a pita on the mobile.

I think I'll merge this into my blog in the morning. It started as just a little moan but now feels like it belongs in my blog.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Sometimes I get a peculiar headache (always just in one area). Whenever I have one of these, I found that a sweet cup of tea (one more sugar than normal) would sort it out within 15 minutes. Might be worth a try. People do not know how much energy the brain needs and consumes.
Peter.N.
Donor 2020

Post by Peter.N. »

I sympathise with your headache problem James, I have suffered from them nearly all of my life, they are generally caused by stress but sometimes stress that you are unaware of, if you can make yourself get involved with something really interesting that will often help it to subside.

Sounds as though you have lots to do there but sounds as though you are enjoying it. Hope the headache problem improves, it takes strong painkillers to shift mine but don't get hooked on them - from someone who knows. :oops:

Peter
elma

Post by elma »

Oh it's well gone, a complete one off. Probably down to whiskey on Christmas day and red wine the day after. My rh sinus does play up a bit, but it's done it for so long I'm quite able to cope.

I am truly enjoying it, when I have real internet I'll take some pictures and you'll see why.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:Probably down to whiskey on Christmas day and red wine the day after.
That would have put me in intensive care :rofl2:
elma wrote: when I have real internet I'll take some pictures and you'll see why.
Looking forward to those James :D
elma

Post by elma »

We're properly frozen today, even the dripping tap technique didn't help. Poor landscaping guys have had to come and tend to the saplings. They're trying to dig through high clay soil that's frozen, doesn't look as much fun as installing electric showers in heated caravans like I'm doing. Kelvs loving the frost, it seems to hold scents better so he's off tracking something or other.
Toilets a problem again can I convert them to ethylene glycol or oat for winter?
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

elma wrote: Toilets a problem again can I convert them to ethylene glycol or oat for winter?
Keep drinking the whisky and red wine, lots of it. Your output will be like anti-freeze..
Peter.N.
Donor 2020

Re: Elmas Xantia V6 and the joys of the countryside

Post by Peter.N. »

Doesn't look half bad for the price James, you obviously know them well enough to see what you are getting. I ran XMs for 15 years and got to be the same, you can get some bargains if you are prepared to do some work - and know the car well.

With the virtual absence of serviceable XMs I have turned my attention to 406 Hdi estates and picked up a couple in the last year, both almost identical, I paid £400 for the first which I have now covered about 12k in and £350 for the second which is also going well. Not quite got the Citroen ride but a good ride/handling combination and very reliable.

Hope you get yours all working OK

Peter
elma

Post by elma »

The cars prity good, it's full of many niggles rather than faults. The body will be its demise, maybe in about 5 years. I'm going to try to extend that as much as possible but am yet to fully explore the car. With no advisories on the mot maybe its actually better than I think.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

James, a good V6 will go on and on... It's possibly the least stressed Xantia of the lot and that makes a difference...
Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

Jim, the V6 is great, it is all the other s**t -kit that is stuffed in around it :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Jim, the V6 is great, it is all the other s**t -kit that is stuffed in around it :)
:lol:
elma

Post by elma »

Wouldn't be do bad if I could reach any of it. The xud9 seems compact in hindsight.
wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner »

There is no need for the body to die in 5 years if looked after?