Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Elmas Xantia VSX

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent James... Do enjoy Swindon!

elma

Post by elma »

Had a day of slightly good weather today so the OSF wheelarch liner was removed. Looks like the coolant leaks from the water pump so no big deal. I've swapped the screen wash motor too but it doesn't work. Multimeter next time it's dry as the new pump is used/untested and could be duff.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I have the circuits of the washer system should you need them James....

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

elma wrote: I'm concerned about the starting as now I have swapped the battery, glowplugs and glowplugs relay it still starts roughly from cold with plenty of unburnt diesel. I think I'll try swapping the injectors over next.
Check the valve clearances - the exhausts are known to close up with mileage, and this affects cold compression and starting. You'd be annoyed if change the cambelt / water pump then you've got to go back again to strip the cam out....!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good call Richard, the XUD7 engine suffered terribly from this problem but the XUD9 never quite as much. Still very well worth checking...

James, if you find tight exhausts I have a spreadsheet to assist in calculating the new shim sizes needed to restore the correct clearances.

I wonder if shims are still available? If not then it'll be a case of robbing od heads and asking around... I still have a fair collection of shims I've recovered over the years...

elma

Post by elma »

It could well be that, I'm lucky to have 2 spare xud9s lying around so hopefully no cost attached. Weathers a little hurricaney today, no chance of car work.
The poor running only lasts around 5 mins. The engine was rebuilt 44k ago with new pistons so is worth getting in order. It does resist starting, sounds and feels like everything locks up then kind of scrapes to life on 2-3 cylinders. 5mins later it runs like a goodun. Old owner blamed the glowplugs, I think I'll prove they work when I get multimetering but I doubt they are at fault.
Regarding washer circuit there's no relay shown in the Haynes diagram. My plan is check for 12v at the motor, if present steal reds pump. If no volts get the stalk tested and swapped with red. I'll test the actual wiring for continuity if I don't get 12v when I check the motor.

Waterpumps become a longer term problem this morning. I have a £30 eBay voucher which I was planning on swapping for a waterpump seal, cambelt, thermostat seal and 5l coolant. Then reds new cambelt kit, waterpump and thermostat could be transferred. Of course the voucher isn't working so I'll have to do some work and pay the old fashioned way.
The Cottage is having similar issues, bathroom windows leaking so the ceilings growing fungus. The heater upstairs expired last night and I've managed to blow the lid off the immersion heater with the mighty back boiler. I do like renting though, one email and it all fixes itself. Why are Xantias not made this way?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

James, generally if it's the exhaust valves a bit tight then it only needs a whiff of heat and all is OK... Had this problem on a 205D (XUD7 NA engine) a few years ago and it was a terror to start in the cold with clouds of white smoke but the moment it fired and a bit of heat was available it was as right as rain...

So, if it's taking four or five minutes to run right it may not be this... Still very much worth checking as a quirk of the XUD is that the valve clearances are tightest when the engine is cold...

Are you sure the glowplugs are perfect? I ask because again I've had similar and the cause was glowplugs... Although they seemed to work and glow when tested they were not good in the engine. Also, if you were accidentally supplied with NA spec. Glowplugs then they will not work well in a TD and die very soon as they are not designed for post-heating...

elma

Post by elma »

Glowplugs do need double checking for a circuit fault. They worked perfectly in red though as did the relay so as long as they get the correct voltage at the plug I'm happy with them.
I've got a feeling it's injectors and or clearances. I don't have an injector socket but will borrow one asap. Clearances will also be checked asap.
Good news on the washers though, 12v found. I nearly drowned in mud finding it but it is there.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:Good news on the washers though, 12v found. I nearly drowned in mud finding it but it is there.
That's excellent news James :D At least you know a new motor will fix it now...

elma

Post by elma »

My friends heard green start and he said injectors immediately. I found that reassuring, shame about the special socket. I think I'll see if I can modify one for rapid progress.

Dvla have decided to blackmail me for £337 because they have photographic evidence of a sornd green xantia on the road. I've asked for the evidence because its on a trailer. This happened bringing it home through the Dartford tunnel as well, the old owner got a fine from the toll people. I must take the plates off of trailered cars from now on.

I should get a waterpump seal tomorrow so work can begin on that side of things. Fingers crossed, I'd like to swap the injectors first and see if I feel the need to check valves. I suspect it's quite choked up from Kent anyway, feels tight and steady to drive.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote: Dvla have decided to blackmail me for £337 because they have photographic evidence of a sornd green xantia on the road. I've asked for the evidence because its on a trailer. This happened bringing it home through the Dartford tunnel as well, the old owner got a fine from the toll people. I must take the plates off of trailered cars from now on.
That is really quite shocking James :shock: :twisted:

elma

Post by elma »

Sort of funny if a little frustrating, I have enough paperwork to handle anyway.

I've pulled all the wheels off and inspected everything today. Rear ends a peasant enough story. It has new discs and pads. The caliper are on straight although the OS one needs the 2 half's aligning more accurately. The ns brake pipe is bent and will clearly need replacing with the next set of discs, its mot happy though.

The front ends alright as well. All ball joints and bushes are satisfactory. The brakes have about 3-4mm of pad, wear is even on discs and pads. I'll put new pads on for peace of mind.

I also swapped the locking wheelnuts for normal ones. I've already spent over an hour looking for the key, will save me days in the long run.

Appears to be a cheap shopping list at the moment. I need a water pump seal, cambelt, coolant, thermostat, air filter, front pads and a rear wiper. Everything else I either have stashed or can pinch from red.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Looking good James :D

elma

Post by elma »

Well there's been an absolute lack of progress on the car since my last update. I've overdone it a bit so other than walking Kelv I'm doing the bare minimum until I'm properly rested. Feels a bit weird as my muscles all halfway back to normal but I've achieved it to quickly and I need a break. Swindon's been postponed a week, to my relief, and we've had it confirmed that we're working in Honda's engine factory.
It's gale force wind and minor flooding up here anyway so I doubt I'd get anything done. Red has to go for scrap as all my friends cars keep blocking the track. I've taken a lot of parts already but if anyone is after anything give me a shout. The mk1 cream leather interior is probably the best bit.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Not overdoing it is so important James. I'm still learning how not to overdo it and still getting it wrong from time to time...

Hence no great progress reports from me either...