Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

elma

Re: Elmas Xantia VSX

Post by elma »

I'm actually getting very absorbed by the knitting. So far only made a really bad hat, a bad hat and about 1/6 of a so far so good scarf. It's very enjoyable though even if some of my friends find it a bit odd. Enjoyed the eclipse a few nights ago as well, not being at work has some benefits.

The insurance has worked itself out for now, I can't count and it runs out on the 28th of this month. Luckily didn't SORN the car so can use it if I wish to. Quite happy with that as the odd short journey to the Beach or shop will do more good than harm. I'd be open to driving an auto for a little bit but not having one in the family it's not realistic. I've found a quote of £215 for Green for next year which doesn't seem terrible although I'm still trying to get below £200. These insurance companies are foolish, they'd make far more off of me at a fair price as I'd insure 4 cars and a motorhome maybe 5 cars. I'm really impressed with the one sided handbrake on Red. We live on a steep hill and I thought I'd find it in the bush it's pointed at by now.

I'm doing ok on the Cottage fund as well, I have about 2/3 of the funds raised. I've started seeing things as fractions of a days rent which has really helped me not to buy junk I don't really need. It's still available thankfully, must be hard to find someone to live in a field up a mountain. It's in the middle of these 2 pictures.
ImageImage
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh James, that's one remote cottage!!!

Good work on the knitting... I guess plenty of raw material in the vicinity of the cottage...
elma

Post by elma »

Disaster last night, slept on my face and broke my glasses. Repaired with micro bore, I kind of like it but I'm just off to order another pair, going to be at least 2 days rent.

Heres my hats too, first went wrong at the top as I didn't understand the pattern.
ImageImage
Second is better but shouldn't have that line or so many holes.

The scarf is my best work yet. It's getting unpicked each time I notice a mistake and is slowly progressing towards 6ft.

Jim, you hit the nail on the head about the wool. I made a spinning wheel a while back to spin the hemp I made the bicycle lugs with. Apparantly farmers get £1.50 to £2 for a bag of wool so I'm hoping a few come my way. Proper wool (not Acrylic mixture) isn't cheap at all. I can feel a loom coming on as well, no idea where the times coming from.

I'm sure this blog was meant to be about cars, maybe I'll knit some wing mirror warmers.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry to hear about the glasses James.... Hope they are soon sorted. Do you have a spare pair?
elma wrote:Jim, you hit the nail on the head about the wool. I made a spinning wheel a while back to spin the hemp I made the bicycle lugs with. Apparantly farmers get £1.50 to £2 for a bag of wool so I'm hoping a few come my way. Proper wool (not Acrylic mixture) isn't cheap at all. I can feel a loom coming on as well, no idea where the times coming from.
Brilliant! The start of a proper new pastime. Nothing wrong with a bit of pastime diversity.. Look at me, I'm into many things besides Citroens... Variety is the spice of life :wink: You will find time, take it from me :-D
elma wrote:I'm sure this blog was meant to be about cars, maybe I'll knit some wing mirror warmers.
No worries James, it's all good, interesting stuff and I often stray into my other pastimes and interesting life events in mine, often bits I've previously posted in Facebook...
Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

Can you knit me some Xantia seat covers, roof lining and a dash board cozy please :)

What a man does in his cottage to stay sane stays in his cottage,
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote: What a man does in his cottage to stay sane stays in his cottage,
Unless you're like me and post it on Facebook!!!!
elma

Post by elma »

Red finally got a proper drive yesterday. I thought I'd be nice so I topped up the tyres, oil and waters. Shouldn't have bothered because I didn't do it right at all. I got almost to the Beach and my coolant temperature was a hairs breadth from 100˚c. So I stuck my heaters on full, pulled over and popped the bonnet. No hot air came out of the heaters though so I was a bit concerned. On opening the bonnet the problem was clear, you're meant to twist the coolant cap after you put it back on. Fortunately I carry a couple of gallons of water for Dog, me and car so we got on our way quickly enough. Lucky escape really, I've been a disaster this week and a trip home on an RAC wagon would not have amused me.
Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

Sorry mate, you get to fly this till the next person comes along, I am glad to pass her on :)

Edit you sig:
Holder of the Nob-Head award/2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No fair Alasdair..

We've all been there and done things like that...

I know I have many times, in fact I make a habit of it...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

My Dad forgot to clip down the oil filler on a Dyane - only realised when the smell of hot oil permeated the cabin, by which time the engine and bay had received a liberal coating of rust preventer! Those not familiar with the 2 cylinder engine fitted to these cars need to know that it is a boxer engine, and with only 2 cylinders the crankcase volume varies significantly as it runs, so the oil filler cap is a pressure device that has a substantial clip on it. Leave it off and the oil is liberally blown everywhere!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

At least it kept the rust at bay Richard!!!
Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

RichardW wrote:My Dad forgot to clip down the oil filler on a Dyane - only realised when the smell of hot oil permeated the cabin, by which time the engine and bay had received a liberal coating of rust preventer! Those not familiar with the 2 cylinder engine fitted to these cars need to know that it is a boxer engine, and with only 2 cylinders the crankcase volume varies significantly as it runs, so the oil filler cap is a pressure device that has a substantial clip on it. Leave it off and the oil is liberally blown everywhere!
I am not allowed by regulations to back date the award....sorry Richard, you have to do a current cock-up to get Herr Albatross mit Rosa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote: I am not allowed by regulations to back date the award....sorry Richard, you have to do a current cock-up to get Herr Albatross mit Rosa
:rofl2:
elma

Post by elma »

Reds getting compliments now, a guy in a C5 exclusive came over and said what great cars Xantias are. His brother in France has one, I was a bit fuzzy at the time and can't remember really. It made me feel a bit ashamed of how dirty it is.

I'm down for my operation now in 1 week when the Surgeon isn't on holiday. Not sure if I mentioned it but I was previously booked in for it in 2 weeks when he is on holiday. Had fun going for my pre op interrogation as my lift turned up in his Elise rather than the pick up I expected, I love that thing it's just pure fun.

Basically means 3 weeks and counting until I'm sorted really, 5 weeks until work.
Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

That's a lot of hats and mittens !