Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Re: Elmas Xantia VSX

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

kunifer is made from Copper, Nickel and Iron, hence the name (CU, NI, FE, for the element table names). I cannot advise on the best to use, as I have not had the pleasure of doing pipework.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 03 Feb 2015, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.

citronut

Post by citronut »

so which flare tool did you purchase in the end???

elma

Post by elma »

Its just like the franklin one you roccommended, in 4.75mm.

I got it second hand off a mecanic I know because he'd upgraded and this was sat around. He said much the same about the teng type being less decent.

lexi
Donor 2020

Post by lexi »

Yes Kunifer or Cupro Nickel is best. Not much more expensive than copper and far better.
I made sure my old Land Rovers were all re done in Cupro Nickel. When advertising them to sell, the Germans were always keen to buy. However, the first thing they asked was if there were copper pipes on the brakes. These are illegal in Germany.

elma

Post by elma »

Is the brake pipe thread m10 x 1.0mm? I can get the m10 bit off the internet quite certainly but no more info, of course I've left the old pipe at my parents.

elma

Post by elma »

the brake pipe and fittings are finally here. I'll be off to fit them tomorrow and book the MOT. Couldn't come sooner, going bonkers without the car.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good stuff Elma, hope the weather is kind to you and all goes absolutely perfectly :-D

lexi
Donor 2020

Post by lexi »

Practice a few flares first........and don't forget nut on pipe before you flare it. :lol:

elma

Post by elma »

Will do, tools with car right now so no practise just yet. Got the garage again so no worries about the weather really.

elma

Post by elma »

The pipes been replaced for a couple of days now. I haven't had a chance to get the rear calipers changed over yet due to moving house. I practised a few flares as advised and made up a prity good pipe first time, but then went and ruined it by trying to attach it to the car and realised I'd forgotten to put the nut on before I flared the car. I've been trying to sort out the nsr lock mech this afternoon, it does its job but just grinds if the central locking tries to lock or unlock it. I've got the doorcard and insulation off but can't quite work out what's going on. Tomorrow I'll get to the bottom of that, replace the rear callipers and book the mot. There's a few tidying jobs left as well and hopefully I'll have time for them, priority is mot though so if it gets dark they'll have to wait.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Elma, I think we've all done that... Made a lovely flare without the nut in place #-o

elma

Post by elma »

I really enjoyed using the tool so I didn't mind very much.

Today has been productive I have finished arsing about with the front of the car and refitted all the wheel arch liners etc. I managed to clean the lhm filters and replace the tank seal which was chucking out LHM totally forgot to lube the steering UJ but I'm sure I can reach round the liners. I had a quick mini bleed of the front brakes and went for a short (off road) test ride. Steering is heavy, brakes are rubbish, exhaust smoke is thick and front suspension is hard but nothing fell off. I parked it back in the garage the other way around and I have managed to change one and a half rear calipers, the n/s is done and the o/s is ready to fit. I found my camera too which has been sulking in a bag in the corner since the move so I'll be taking pics as I go again now. The callipers were shockingly tight so I was amazed to get them out without snapping the bolt, this 240v impact wrench is awesome.

Had a bit of a panic after the test run as the join between the new brake pipe and old was leaking. I disassembled it and it only leaks because the fitting is cheap and rubbish so I have overtightened it and the leak has gone. It will be replaced next time the flaring gear comes out as it's bound to fail at some point. Finding the leak made me decide that my Xantia is rubbish and I was a hairs breadth from recycling it into baked bean tins, all better now though.

I think I may have affected the front ride height doing the bottom arms. I did unclip the height corrector but being silly I undid the anti roll bar from its clamp. When I put it back there were marks showing where it should go and I used them but I think it's out anyway, the ride was hard like when I first got the car as well. So final jobs for tomorrow (again) fit the rear calliper, turn the diesel pump down until the exhaust smoke is reasonable, lube the steering shaft uj, bleed all 4 brakes and reset the ride height.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Coming along nicely Elma :-D

elma

Post by elma »

Well its all finally paid off because I passed the mot. I've had 2 tyres fitted and 4 wheel alignment as well. I didn't get a single advisory and tester was complimentary about the car. I really like this garage, he's given me the full printout on brakes and emissions plus a before and after for the alignment. He's only adjusted toe and tracking but it was £25 and I like my printout. The car did best where I thought it would do worst, the emissions test. 1% was measured so it was "fast pass" and no further emissions checks. The tester was surprised, as was I, he said for the cars age that is rare. I guess I've got the pump settings about right other than the idle speed.
I've still got a massive list of things I want to do to the car but just one at a time now. First is a clean, its ok but needs a shine. I'll take my pictures while I clean, I haven't kept a good record of the work done this time so I need to file all the receipts and photos. Today though I'm off for a drive. :)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Elma, that's absolutely wonderful :-D A smashing result and well done =D> All your hard work has really paid off and now you can start enjoying the car...