Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

elma

Re: Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Post by elma »

Brilliant, for the extra £2 I'm almost certainly using the one I don't have to chop.
Anyone had a Meyle water pump before? I rate their suspension components well but I've never seen a water pump of theirs.
Theres pennies in it, Valeo and chop the lug off or Meyle and it fits straight on.
I'll order the parts I'm certain on tomorrow, I meant to today but I got side tracked all the way to London.

I've actually only just got back from my little day out. M25 was packed and slow on the way down but I still made it on time. New company office is setup ready for all the officey people next week. Almost made up the lost hours but feeling crap for it so having a late start tomorrow. The journey home was amazing, big storm and the sky lit up nicely all the way back. Lots of flooded bits and drowned cars, a Range Rover was my favourite to see lifeless in a puddle. The water didn't look deep enough to drown it so I guess they were going rather fast. M3 was shut everywhere I tried to get onto it so mostly drove on what seemed like unlit backroads compared to the mornings ride.

Spotted a few interesting cars on the way. I saw my first Diesel Tesla, diesel because it was on the back of an AA wagon. I saw a Peugeot RCZ as well, lovely looking thing but I don't get why it's got one of those rear spoilers that pops up over a certain speed, totally ruins the nice curvy shape. I'd have one in an instant just based on looks though, really liked it a lot better in the flesh than in pictures.
van ordinaire
Donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire »

For all their off-road pedigree & prowess, Rangies don't actually like getting wet.

Must admit the green Cherokee would die if I hit a puddle at the wrong angle/speed (absence of undertray may be a factor) - on the other hand I did have to drive round a Rangie on a snowbound Dartmoor road which seemed to have difficulty making progress - with at least 4 people pushing it, although I suspect that was driver error (which is why I didn't stop).

Isn't the M3 permanently shut, at some point (or points)?
elma

Post by elma »

Yes, usually at night its shut between junctions 2a and 4 however last night the whole thing seemed to be closed. At the junctions there were no diversions so even with a paper map the route got trucky.
elma

Post by elma »

Oh dear, Xantia will be slightly delayed now as I had to buy a new drill today.
It's quite a beast, at 135Nm Max Torque it is more powerful than some cars, 17Nm more powerful than Simons favourite Peugeot!
Even more amazingly it manages this using an 18v battery.
I'm not displeased as I've wanted this drill for ages and I'm up against girders that my mini 12v drill just hasn't got the guts for even though it's equal in power to most 18v drills.
Shame about the Xantia though, I was within a hairs breadth of getting all the bits.
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

I do have to admit that one of my favourite - very infantile - games in the Skoda was to find the deepest possible (within reason!) puddle, that everyone else is treating as though it's lava and will make their car explode if they touch it - and then go through it full rally style.

Rear engine car with the undertray in place, and an air intake at waist height means they are near impossible to drown so long as your ignition system is in good order.

Have on occasion done the same with the Lada... looking at a current Range Rover the other day...the Lada has more ground clearance!
elma

Post by elma »

This amazed me.
Own work
Own work
The bird follows us around but now it follows Kelv as well!
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

We've got a robin here that follows me around outside, and when I've been digging in the vegetable beds has twice so far landed on my head briefly on its way to snag something tasty I'd unearthed. Scared the pants off me the first time that happened.

Of course since then I've also attracted the attention of a group of no less than five young magpies...I may be doomed. Doomed, but at least it will be fun to watch, as they are hilarious little menaces to watch messing about. One of them for instance seems to take great satisfaction in collecting all of the bits of trimmed cable ties I've missed when tidying up, and stacking them neatly just to the right of the garage door. Why, I haven't the foggiest idea...

They get used to you, and pretty quickly figure out if you're a threat or not.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

All of the corvid family are intelligent, and weird!
elma

Post by elma »

Did a little shopping this afternoon. Just this lot to go now then I can get fixing.

Cv joint grease, ebay, £7
Parrafin 10L webstore, £15.00
Tensioner?, Ebay, £60
Teng 3/8 and 1/4 Torque wrench, ffx, £88
Inlet Manifold Gasket, Citroen, £10.00
TDC Gauge, ebay, £26.50
LHM Pump Seals, citroen, £25?

I should be able to get 40% off the torque wrenches, will see tomorrow. I'm probably not going to order the tensioner at the moment. I'm still unaware which type is already fitted. If its the old type I'll order one as I disassemble. I added the tdc gauge just for peace of mind.

My usb kit arrived on Saturday. On the face of it I'm impressed. The unit is smaller than expected, has plenty of cable and seems well made enough to fit and forget. It is installed into the coin holders but I couldnt find an appropriate switched live. I was hoping there would be one in the center console but as there is not I shall probably borrow some power from the fag lighter later in the week.
Last edited by elma on 23 Jul 2017, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I'm sure you can get the Teng kit for less than that James.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent James :D Not far from you now ;)
elma

Post by elma »

myglaren wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 22:12
I'm sure you can get the Teng kit for less than that James.

It doesnt even have to be teng. I just need torque wrenches which will do 5Nm to 50Nm. As long as the qualitys decent I'll be happy. The tengs only torque going clockwise so another brand would be preferred but all the half decent stuff is 2x prices.
CitroJim wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 08:03
Excellent James :D Not far from you now ;)
Thats great, you'll be cycling the new forest in no time.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:
24 Jul 2017, 08:07

Thats great, you'll be cycling the new forest in no time.

In about two hours I expect!!!
elma

Post by elma »

I rang Citroen Southampton today to order a few bits, they were very helpful.
They have on the way for me the seals for the LHM pump and the gaskets for the inlet manifold, well 2 of them anyway.
I have seen the two that are NFP for sale from third parties so will order a pair of those too.
I'm aware that I may not need them but would rather have them in stock before disassembly just in case.

I think I need to add silicon grease to my list and remove the TDC gauge.
Having spoken to Jim yesterday I clearly don't need one and I now have a reasonable understanding of the part of the job I couldn't get my head around.
I also checked and I can get the Teng wrenches at 60% of the asking price which helps no end.
Just a few last bits to go and then work shall commence.
I have a vet appointment this evening so I'll find out if I have much chance of managing to order the last bits this week when I hear the bill.
elma

Post by elma »

elma wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 21:58
I've had the whole headlamp out for a good inspection. Time won't allow further investigation, even checking the charging voltage. The garage can do their magic and sort it out for me. I've been hit with a whirlwind of broken stuff here at the moment and anything not dangerous is bottom of the list.

Turns out I fixed the Boxer headlamp.
It must have been a poor connection at the headlamp itself.
Since I removed and reinstalled the unit it hasn't blown any more bulbs.

Still waiting to get the ply, screen and door repaired.
Also still waiting for the indicator bulb.

All good really though, the van is reliable and useable.
I may clean it today as I'm waiting for a hydraulic repair on a JCB and theres not all that much to be getting on with until the JCBs happy again.