Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

elma

Re: Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Post by elma »

Thanks Jim, please bring it down I'll probably take that long to get all the other parts together anyway.

I had a good look today while I changed the pressure regulator. My rocker covers all seem to be leaking and I can't tell at the rear where the main leak is coming from but I can see that it is landing on the drivers side of the exhaust heat shield mainly. Are rocker cover gaskets available from Citroen or is it another sealant gasket? I'm tempted to change them and see if it still leaks before rushing into the cambelt etc.

I can smell petrol and suspect the little rubber hose that goes to the pressure regulator is knackered. I have a piece of new hose somewhere I will dig out and fit today hopefully. It really didn't want to come off so I damaged the end a bit. I'm going to leave the car for a while and see if the smell goes away but I expect it won't.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Will do James :) I'll pop it in with the stuff I'll soon be packing ready... I'll put it with my essential bike spares/tools and then I definitely won't forget it!

No gaskets, just silicone sealant except on the very top cover where there's a kind of everlasting elastomer bead kind of thing... Again, smear it with sealant to reseal it...

Rubber (and plastic) really suffers on the V6 due to the heat. It really does not like being disturbed...

elma

Post by elma »

I didn't have much luck with the xantia today after the pressure regulator. I tried to remove the front cambelt cover to view my tensioner. It didn't want to came off. 2 of the bolts didnt seem to back out all the way so I'm not sure if I need to wiggle more or undo the engine mount. Reading through old threads it seems covering the radiator with a board is a good idea as the v6 will drop forwards rather than backwards like an xud.

I went chasing leaks next. The smell of fuel dissapeared so I suppose was just spillage. My spare hose was to large so I ordered more for peace of mind. I started cleaning round the front rocker covers next. I have resealed the very front one. Inside it is rather carbon fouled so ill get some parrafin and clean everything out.

I stopped here as I could see I need to do the lower joints weather they are leaking or not so everything can be cleaned. More sealing rocker covers would just be making extra work. I'd snapped a plastic hose as well, Jims comment about heat making them brottle is very true. Fortunately I did have hose that fitted and was able to repair it.

Finally I noticed one of the lhm pipe repairs was leaking. It's because one of the clips is bent. I adjusted it several times but just caused it to get much worse. Lhm now gushes out with the engine on. I have a pack of correct size clips but they've gone walkies. I expect to see them later in the week.

Ill get a couple of inlet manifold gaskets this week. I really fancy taking it off and having a good look next weekend. The more I look around the engine the more at ease I feel about sorting everything out. Its very daunting at first compared to an xud but as bits come off it doesnt seem so bad. As usual with new stuff I'll just go slow, look, read and ask lots before I get stuck in. I do feel a bit apptehensive bit I've not worked out in my head yet exactly what I'm going to do. By the time I'm doing it i should have a well thought out plan.

elma

Post by elma »

The elusive hose clips have been found. I no longer leak lhm from the tank hose. Everything else is as it was, it will be for a few weeks now until I've raised a big box of parts.
I have found my spare strut tops, unsure weather to fit them now or wait until I have spare droplinks. Will probably wait and hit the front brakes at the same time.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

You will get there mate.....
What are you going to use to lock the Cam pulleys and crank when you do your belt ?

elma

Post by elma »

8mm machine screws or drillbits probably. I havent got that far yet. I'm hoping to do a dry run this weekend so I can gear up proprly.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

James, I can lend you the tool for moving the cams to adjust the verniers...

elma

Post by elma »

Please Jim.
I havent read the pdfs yet so I dont actually know what that is :oops:
Much learning to do.

elma

Post by elma »

My spark plugs and leads have arrived.
I got the twin electrode bosch ones and leads I cant pronounce.

I'm wondering if its worth buying in camshaft oil seals seen as the cams are coming out.
Any other suggestions for bits to replace while everythimg is apart? Im quite keen on taking my time and only taking it all apart once this year.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

James....

L - E - A - D - S That's how it's pronounced ;)

I've never seen leaky camshaft oil seals and they should be good to reuse but whilst you're there... To be honest, if they look dry I'd not...

One caveat - to swap them you'll need to remove the cam vernier pulley hubs and they can be *very* tight. If you do decide to change the seals then pull the hubs off before removing the cam ladders and cams...

elma

Post by elma »

:rofl2:
Mine are Bougicord, makes me think bogey. Same brand as already fitted which seem fine if a little inflexible. I got them for £20 and I'd rather have new ones at that price.

Can seals can stay put then unless leaking. Usually when i ignore advice stuff goes wrong.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, seals can stay put James :)

As far as I know, Bougicord are OEM.

elma

Post by elma »

Great news x2

elma

Post by elma »

I was just passed by a mototbike wearing the numberplate:
CU11NNT
Cracked me up, DVLA recently recalled:
J1HAD
for being too offensive.
I don't think they are particularly on the ball.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Amazed they ever released those two numbers James :shock: