Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Elmas Xantia V6 and Musical Stuff

Post by CitroJim »

Agree that Simon is very definitely the person to answer all your questions James :D

I will say that coils always crack and it's not necessarily a sign of imminent failure. The coils do fail though (I've been stranded in the past by a failed coil) and to always have a spare is very well advised. I always used to carry one in the car with enough tools to swap it if needed.

elma

Post by elma »

That makes me think change them and keep an old one in the boot.
Seen as I can't inspect the rear one easily I think they are getting replaced now, don't like the idea of being stranded.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

James, there's only one coil - the rear bank cylinders fire on the 'wasted' spark' principle... The front bank coils are double-ended and fire both front and rear banks simultaneously...

What looks like a coil on the rear bank is just a dummy...

elma

Post by elma »

Thats fantastic, definately will replace it now but will leave it until phase 3/3 as the access is pretty good and I think other components are more in need.

elma

Post by elma »

I just found my first Citroen amongst my old stuff!
Own work
Own work

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Lovely!

elma

Post by elma »

Took Xantia to shops today just to give it a run. Its gearbox oil has arrived but not its funnel so I'm waiting for the postman tomorrow. He should have my fuel pressure reg too. Had a big bonfire today so cars covered in ash as well as the usual bird poo. Having chicken for tea as revenge.

Van is terrible at off roading. Had to take a new polytunnel into the fields today, van did not like at all. The steering wheel became an ornament and i was quite sure id get it stuck. Job done though and van back in the yard where it belongs. Good van.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

There are few things more terrifying off tarmac than commercial tyres!

Having said that, on slightly damp tarmac they're frightening enough...

elma

Post by elma »

So true, easily forgotten driving a Van as refined as the Boxxer. My old LDV was far more sketchy in the damp but the agricultural spec didn't hide that at all so it was quite expected. Possibly the pickup would be better suited to what I need here but I don't see the MD handing me the keys to his vehicle anytime soon. It's a Mitsibushi as well, not that thats a problem but I like having the Peugeot next to the Citroen it makes me smile that I've ended up with a PSA mini fleet. That Zx Volcane that's for sale currently would finish it off nicely as a cheap runaround but my eyes are always bigger than my wallet. I'd buy the Grey V6 for sale at the moment as well if I could and every Activa that ever came up for sale.

Why are commercial tyres so much less grippy than radials? I get that they need to be stronger but I don't understand why they can't have a grippier contact area. Considering the longevity of commercial tyres they could afford to knock a couple of years off of the life for better grip. I considered that softer rubber would deform too much under the weight but that doesn't make sense if you think about various cars and Vans rough axle weights.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

I think it's a combination of a far harder compound, usually less aggressive tread pattern and often far higher inflation pressure (even the ones on my little VW T25 ran at a standard pressure of 60psi, increasing to 75 if fully laden). Seem to recall the tyres on the car transporter at the garage (7.5 ton Man wagon) needed to be inflated to something like 120psi. Felt like they may as well be solid until you stuck at least two cars on the back! Besides your backside leaving the (suspended) seat over bumps, wheelspin on a damp road was entirely possible in the wet in anything up to 5th (out of 6) gear! If ever I encountered a vehicle that needed traction control - that was it.

Stick two or three cars on the back and it was fine though.

Terrifying but eye opening moment for me was the first time I tried to stop rapidly in a bus on a damp road. Locking all four wheels on something that weighs north of ten tonnes is not fun!

X618NSS, and heading down the hill to the Danestone turning circle when a cat materialised in front of me out from the hedge. Nice new, smooth greasy tarmac. Well ingrained in my memory! Though I did miss the cat.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

James, what you need to do is get hold of a tatty 1.9TD Xantia Estate and make a pick-up out of it ;)

That should be excellent for the cross-country work you need to do and far better than a van!

Making a Xantia pick-up would be a lovely project too...

elma

Post by elma »

That would be amazing Jim. If it was my farm and my cash you'd have inspired a project there. I know from livong up in the hills Xantia estate diesels are prity good on mud tyres.

Van has mud tyres, but not the sort for driving on mud. I think i found where my grip went. Ill drop pressures to 35 psi next time i go off road.
Own mud
Own mud
All wheels locked on a 10tonner! Not for the feint hearted, dont think I'd enjoy that much either. Congratulations for saving the cat, not fond of them but they don't deserve squishing.

elma

Post by elma »

Back to the coils for a moment.
Will replacing the old one potentially improve performance?
I dont know of they are routinely replaced or if i wait until it shows symptoms of failure.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 09:00
Back to the coils for a moment.
Will replacing the old one potentially improve performance?
I dont know of they are routinely replaced or if i wait until it shows symptoms of failure.

Not in my experience, they either work well or they don't... They normally fail with misfires and often only fail when hot. They can seem perfectly OK when cold and then misfire when hot...

That's what stranded me when I had one fail on the road...

elma

Post by elma »

Thats good news then, mine can wait until much later to be replaced.
I'll keep an eye on prices and grab one if I see a bargain at some point.