C4 Picasso under bonnet fusebox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Re: C4 Picasso under bonnet fusebox

Post by Xantippa »

9675877980 is about 50€ at http://www.citroen-accessories.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just ordered one for my C5 X7 which has got some gremlins in electrical system.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Cheers lighty. Here's the earlier one - the connectors look the same, but the arrangement of fuses at the bottom behind the yellow connector is different, and there are visible differences in the components at the other end. Who knows if it will work??? :lol:

Lighty's one for comparison

Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Had a look at it today - it's definitely the earlier (and therefore expensive!) one fitted. Took all the connectors off, and gave them a spray up and on and off a couple of times. Slight bit of oxidation on F1 (which has been implicated in some failures) so I scraped that off, also took out the fuse linked to the blue wire Wheeler mentioned above - there was some white furring on this, so cleaned that off too. Will see how it goes this week, but knowing my luck it will need a new board, and the cheaper, later, one will be no good :roll:
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Still getting brake warning, so it looks like new board time.... Depollution fault came up yesterday too - checked with Lexia, and there was only the same EGR faults as before (which are about invalid signal from the position indicator, which suggests it's part of the same issue). No idea why it decided that the faults warranted the EML now, when they didn't before :lol:
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Did some work on it today, and learnt a few things...

1. Changing the board is pretty easy - it's slightly more difficult on the C4 Pic as it is tucked under the scuttle panel. There is enough room to get 4 of the 5 connectors off, then spring the clips and lift the board up (with the maxi fuse board attached underneath). There is then room to get the nut off the main power post (just got it with a std 13mm socket, a deep reach one would be better). Then you can spring the clips for the maxi board (outboard one is easiest from underneath as access is pretty limited).

2. A board which looks superficially identical, but has a different part number doesn't work (which Lighty kindly sent me ages ago :oops: ). Everything except the wipers worked, but when Lexia'd it reported "wrong vehicle" or similar. Handbrake fault came up as soon as I moved it, and stayed on even after a couple of re-starts.

3. After changing back to the old board, the fault is now seemingly permanent :cry: which rather leads me to think that it's not the board at fault, but a wiring fault which has got worse with disturbing the wiring. No idea where to start looking for that though..... might even have to fork out for some wiring diagrams on service.citroen :lol:

Edit: meant to say, if anyone's got any bright ideas, I'd be pleased to hear them!!
Richard W
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Have you looked at the blue wire I mentioned earlier ? to access the bit where they normally rot you need to remove the battery & battery box.
Are you getting communication with the ABS/ESP ecu & the handbrake ecu ? any fault codes in either of these ?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Not looked at that wire - will do next weekend. We've not had any cutting out, so I had sort of dismissed it, but as it's a known issue.... ABS ECU reports P1208 "Communication with engine ECU Data invalid" or something - remote fault, so I take that to mean that it's not in the ECU itself. There are also occasional faults from the EGR valve position signal not agreeing, not sure if it's linked or not - but that tends to only come on very occasionally, and only after the handbrake warning comes up first - so I'm assuming it's linked. If I manage to fix the handbrake fault will see if that goes away.
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Some interesting pics here: http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/forum ... ost_172026

Failure in that section of the loom would tally with it being worse after I had pushed the wiring about. Battery out at the weekend and have a poke about back there.... :lol:
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Got to it yesterday, battery out, and exposed the loom. No obviously failed wires :? three were looking a bit suspect on the insulation, so I spliced them, but they looked OK inside. Warning initially off, but it did come on after a re-start, so that's not it... it seems to be better, and as I had the wires disconnected at the fuse box, I'm wondering if it might be a fault close to there (or even inside the box - although the replacement I tried gave a permanent fault, this may simply have been because it was the wrong one, and didn't have the correct internals....). Going to try wiggling the wires with the engine running to see if I can provoke the fault. If not, then might have to bite the bullet for a new fuse box. It could be the EGR valve I suppose which has been reported elsewhere - but even with the battery out I couldn't even SEE the thing on this engine :roll: ABS pump / ECU is mounted low down in the NS inner wing - looks to be inaccessible without removing the bumper.... Might have to cough up for an hour on service.citroen to get some wiring diagrams out!
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

ABS pump accessible if the wing liner is removed. No evidence of corrosion on the connector, so it's not that either. It gets a bit upset if you unplug it with the battery still on #-o Seems to have recovered now though :lol: I've discovered that the warning seems to come up if you switch on and go straight to crank - if you wait a second or so at the on position, no warning. Think I will have to do the fuse box next month and see where that takes it.
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I appear to have fixed it for all practical purposes.... :mrgreen:

Since re-making the wires and unplugging the ABS controller, there have been no instances of the light coming on in normal use, and no de-pollution faults either. Have made it come on deliberately once (by switching straight to crank), and SWMBO said it came on once at start up as well (probably under same circumstances). I can live with that!
Richard W
Benscab123
My Cars: 2010 C4 grand Picasso 1.6 hdi
2008 Renault grand scenic 1.9d

Post by Benscab123 »

Seems I’m having exactly the same problem with mine. I don’t have the technical knowledge to deal with this myself and I can’t afford to pay someone endless amounts of cash to go fishing around in there anymore. This car has cost me more to keep on the toad than it cost to buy 6 months ago. Time to say adios Citroen !
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Ultimately the fault with this one was the EGR valve.... there's a genius bit of programming where the EGR fault disables the handbrake, but doesn't put the EML on. I think you changed the EGR on yours though?
Richard W
Benscab123
My Cars: 2010 C4 grand Picasso 1.6 hdi
2008 Renault grand scenic 1.9d

Post by Benscab123 »

Yes I did change it, and the eml is on