thoughts on quote.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Re: thoughts on quote.

Post by citronut »

Stickyfinger wrote:Main dealer, £700 squid parts quote on a fag packet, no report for MoT......smells like Peterhead to me (fishy)
i suspect the quoted price were for the parts and labour looking at the price list i posted above
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

My big concern is the "Main Dealer" and a scribbled parts list on a scrap of paper....that just does/should not sit comfortably with a "straight" job quote at a Main Dealer.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

boristhespie wrote: Incidentally they also said the clutch may be going so the kit for this is £700 odd.
i missed this on my first read, nere is price and part No. for that

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
00002052T6 CLUTCH KIT 172.22 GBP 206.66 GBP 206.66 GBP

so im 99% sure those prices are labour as well
Regards, malcolm.

boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Passed MOT with fraction of cost and work. There was NO record of MOT having been done. Lying b'st@rds.

My first thoughts were that the prices included labour but my wife was adaman . This said even with this they are still damn expensive.

I can only conclude that saw my wife coming and thought they'd make some easy moolah. Unethical.
C'est pas possible!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh well, all's well that ends well but my goodness that was a bad experience.

I trust you will be reporting the garage in question?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

There is a reason that it is better working in a main dealers with shiny painted floors and lighting. The pay and conditions are good and it is hi tech and clean. The coffee machines and well lit waiting places need paid for.
The conditions and packages for many employees needs to be covered, including management. The rental and fees on premises is big. The list goes on.
If you think all that that can be covered by charging what a grease shop with low overheads charges..........don't go there.
The servicing of these places is run on a sales basis. The price is whatever the customer will pay. That is the rule of any business. You sell the customer as much as you can...........not just what he needs. The lights in these places need to keep shining and people pay it. I have stood at counter while customers pay mouth watering bills. The stories of "what was done" is hilarious. Never send your wife with the car. My wife calls that "Womans prices"

It has always been thus.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

My mum served an apprenticeship as a car mechanic. I once was with her when a garage tried the "woman's prices" trick. She shot them down so hard she ended up getting the job done for little more than the price of the parts.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Lack of dealer paperwork and proper quote strikes me that there may be an employee doing things they shouldn't. I find my local dealer to be fine on most things, a little more than an indie but some jobs actually cheaper. Never outrageous prices.

Perhaps a letter to the dealer principal - dear.. surprised to get this quote handwritten at what seem to be excessive prices, no emission printout to support need for fuel cleaners etc etc .... give details. As you might expect I have gone elsewhere....yours etc.

They will either ignore it or go sort out what might be dodgy practice in their workshop. Sometimes the boss likes to be told because they don't know what's going on in every part of their business.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

boristhespie wrote:Passed MOT with fraction of cost and work. There was NO record of MOT having been done. Lying b'st@rds.
they may well of found all this by running a pre/MOT check, in a way this could be good as once they log onto VOSA's system, everything they put down is in stone from there on,

did any of there finding come up on the MOT you put it through?????, and out of interest what was the final cost
Regards, malcolm.

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

If it is handwritten it is more likely an estimate. If it does not say Quotation, then they can say it is an estimate. Swallow an estimate and you can get a bill for more.
Question an estimate and you may get a lower quote.

If you did not ask specifically for a quote, you can be given an estimate. I am sure you know all this Richard but it is amazing the people who don't.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2