This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mbryn1

Re: 406

Post by Mbryn1 »

Ok thank you I just want one to try before I pay out for a new one have you ever had this problem
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Not yet, but I have read of it on the forum. There are far more experienced members who have encountered this problem, and it is almost always the lift pump that generates the filings. I have read the warnings about the fuel filter on an HDi engine, with the need to ensure nothing could get into the HP pump. It almost needs a surgical level of cleanliness. When I have replaced the filter I have made sure to clean the housing using J cloths (and not paper towels) to make sure nothing heads off to the HP pump.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Mbryn1

Post by Mbryn1 »

I'm thinking about inline filters when I get this sorted to stop any leftover crap coming in yo pump
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You shouldn't need to. If the filter housing is of the same design as on a Xantia it is (provided care is taken) virtually impossible for any crud to get past the filter and into the HP pump.

I have done some digging, and found that the HDi engine has a pressure of 1350bar on the fuel rail! That equates to 19845PSI!;

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/miscellaneous/hdi/hdi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Just to clarify a few misunderstandings on the Bosch Cr/cp1 pump.
Quite a considerable amount of fuel is pumped into the hp pump via the main fuel filter by the in tank pump. Most of this fuel is used to cool and lubricate the pump and is returned to the tank. Swarf generated by the high pressure pump is sent to the tank and can be subsequently carried by diesel as it is pumped back through the filter and back to the high pressure pump again. The fuel is constantly being circulated while the engine is running. In addition there is also a bleed from the filter which is returned to the tank.
The high pressure regulator controls the pressure by allowing varying amounts of fuel to return from the high pressure outlet to the tank. The filter on the hp regulator is purely to protect the valve seat in the regulator itself. Should the seat be contaminated then you can get the hard started fault. Not all regulators have a filter fitted. This is not a problem for the pump as the fuel is being returned to the tank.
The swarf from the hp pump is usually very fine and silver in colour. Most mortals need a magnifying glass to see it on the filter on the regulator. Particles from the breakup of the commutation on the low pressure pump are more copper or brass coloured and are larger.
This topic has been covered on several threads on both the Citroën and Peugeot fora.
Mbryn1

Post by Mbryn1 »

Cleaned regulator car runs perfect no run on no cut out no limp mode how do I get this swarf out the system
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Cleaning the regulator seldom lasts long. The filter is too fine to clean properly. As far as I remember it filters particles less than 5microns. Blockage of the regulator filter is almost certain to happier on all engines eventually. Changing the fuel filter when due and keeping everything spotless whilst doing it helps prolong the lifespan. Some cars do over 300000km without problems. Others half of that. The early low pressure pumps were prone to failure. Later ones seem to be much better. If the low pressure pump is breaking up it will need to be changed. When changing the pump suck all the remaining diesel out of the tank. Disconnect the fuel lines that go between the engine and the tank and blow them out with an airline. When changing the fuel filter remove the pipes and plug them using the kit supplied with the filter. Drain the filter using the drain on the bottom. Then remove the filter and thoroughly clean the filter housing paying special attention to the centre post..
Mbryn1

Post by Mbryn1 »

I just cut the filter off lol goes like a new one