Replacing of BOSCH diesel pump in Xantia 1,9TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Replacing of BOSCH diesel pump in Xantia 1,9TD

Post by Peter.N. »

I always tension mine so that you can twist the belt 90 degrees with a good bit of effort, it not all that precision, it will get slacker with use anyway.

The crankshaft can be locked by inserting a metal rod in the hole behind the starter through the backplate into the flywheel, if you bent a piece of rod about 6mm diameter into a starting handle shape you should be able to slide it along behind the starter into the hole, rotating the engine with a large spanner or socket on the flywheel pully, if not take the starter off.

Peter
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Is it the same with an automatic Peter?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I would think there would be provision to lock it, probably a recess in the torque converter, or you wouldn't be able to change the cam belt.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Jan, follow exactly what the Haynes manual says and you'll be fine :-D That manual will include your engine...

To lock the crankshaft on an automatic you'll need to remove the starter motor and lock the flywheel by means of a flywheel locking piece - basically a bracket with cogs on it that engage with the ring-gear...

Something like this from ebay...

DO NOT try to lock the flywheel using the timing hole. That will lead to disaster...

Be prepared for the crank pulley bolt to be tight. You will need a good 22mm socket and a long breaker bar.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry. :oops:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:Sorry. :oops:
For what Peter? Absolutely nothing to be sorry about at all as far as I can see :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

My inexperience with auto's - never had one in my life. :?

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:My inexperience with auto's - never had one in my life. :?
Peter, you've missed out. Go and treat yourself to one right away and see how wonderful they are :-D
Jim

Albireo
My Cars: Citroen DS CX XM ZX Jumper

Post by Albireo »

CitroJim wrote:Jan, follow exactly what the Haynes manual says and you'll be fine :-D
I'm worried that the timing belt is tensioned too tightly. When I did it on my XM, you could hear a "whining noise, which disappeared when the tension was released slightly. A special tool is needed, to measure the belt tension on XM.
(But, I did it with "feeling", by rotating the belt 90 degrees, and it has not been any problem.)
On this Xantia, the tensioner tool is already mounted in the car? (nice)

Maybe, because I unbuckled the belt a little more, meant that the belt was pushed out on the belt wheels?
Why I do not replace the water pump this time, is that it is not that old (maybe a year and 20000km)
It is an original water pump from Citroen, and a new "cheap" might be inferior than the one already sitting there.
The timing belt is probably designed so it never will change its length (I think so)
CitroJim wrote:To lock the crankshaft on an automatic you'll need to remove the starter motor and lock the flywheel by means of a flywheel locking piece - basically a bracket with cogs on it that engage with the ring-gear...
Something like this from ebay...
Interesting tool, possible that it works to lock the starter wreath under the engine, behind the small access door that is there?
Will check if the locking tool is available within a reasonable time to Sweden
Otherwise may I weld something..

Everyone should have thanks for all the support you give me.

//Jan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jan,

What XM is that you have? I have had a few XMs in the past. A TCT Auto and an ES9 V6 :-D

If your XM is a TCT then they have a manually adjusted tensioner that does indeed need a SEEM gauge to set correctly. I know what you mean exactly about the whine if too tight. I have done the same on my Activa (TCT Engine) when setting tension by ear.

The XUD tensioner on your Xantia is automatic in operation and impossible to set too tightly if yu follow the instructions in the Haynes manual so you have no worries.

Indeed, if you have the "half moon" access door at the bottom of the flywheel then indeed yes, it may be possible to use the locking tool there and that will save the job of removing the starter motor. It depends if there is enough room between the ring gear (wreath) and the gearbox casing...

Jan, always very happy to help. It is what forums are for!
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I once had that whining noise and assumed the belt was to tight and it was, used the half turn method ever since and never had a problem.

Apologies about misleading information regarding locking the crankshaft but something I have never experienced on an auto.

I don't bother with locking the crankshaft myself, I carefully mark the position of it on the plate behind it and carefully check to make sure that it hasn't moved after fitting the belt - been OK so far.

Jim.

You know my thought on auto's, change gear at far to high revs, soak up a lot of energy and if it goes wrong writes the car off. :shock: :( I suppose if you have to drive in a city or town I can understand it but I would rather move. :wink:

Peter