Activa struggling to start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Re: Activa struggling to start

Post by KP »

What you want for an activa is to make up some railway sleeper sections to go under each wheel that are the same height and the use the hydro ramps to lift the wheel up to stick them under :)

Job done and stable enough as well. Could even use some great big nuts and bolts counter sunk into the wood top and bottom to keep them together and even a little handle into them ;)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote:What you want for an activa is to make up some railway sleeper sections to go under each wheel that are the same height and the use the hydro ramps to lift the wheel up to stick them under :)
Exactly and precisely Will :-D

I'd love for someone to make me a set of railway sleeper ramps as I just can't work in wood and don't have the tools either..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

DickieG wrote:I'd have thought anything but those ramps for that job Jim, they have the variable factor built into them as you have separate hydraulic rams whereas traditional ramps can be compared/measured and won't really vary under load.
I don't see a problem - according to Mike they have a safety locking brace that flips around to support the ramp when fully extended - so you pump it right up, flip the locking braces around, let it down slightly so the weight comes to rest on the locking braces not the rams - the height of both ramps should now be identical and not change.

To be fair I can't see said locking braces in the picture but if Mike says its possible to completely disconnect the hydraulic jack unit after the braces are engaged I'll take his word for it... :lol:

Perhaps a close up photo demonstrating the locking braces in action is in order...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Mandrake wrote:
DickieG wrote:I'd have thought anything but those ramps for that job Jim, they have the variable factor built into them as you have separate hydraulic rams whereas traditional ramps can be compared/measured and won't really vary under load.
I don't see a problem - according to Mike they have a safety locking brace that flips around to support the ramp when fully extended - so you pump it right up, flip the locking braces around, let it down slightly so the weight comes to rest on the locking braces not the rams - the height of both ramps should now be identical and not change.
But unlike traditional solid ramps you have moving parts which means a degree of flex even though when locked the hydraulics are no longer part of the equation, plus the flex can't easily be measured by putting the ramps side by side as the degree of flex will vary dependant upon the load placed on them.

If you've ever had the misfortune to get involved in adjusting the sideways balance on an Activa to get it level the job is tiresome to say the least and then potentially adding in thought of there being any potential flex in a ramp fill's me with horror.

Ignoring the above debate, at the cost of £400 I'm at a bit of a loss as to the benefit of these ramps compared with solid ones as unless your car is so very low you can't drive it up a ramp (quite rare with ramp extenders) and having viewed the video the time it takes to raise the car using the hydraulic pump I could be well into the job using solid ramps rather than still pumping the ram, they're a nice thought but having sat and thought about the cost v benefit argument I can't see £400 of value in them.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: Activa struggling to start

Post by Northern_Mike »

DickieG wrote:
Ignoring the above debate, at the cost of £400 I'm at a bit of a loss as to the benefit of these ramps compared with solid ones
I find myself agreeing with you there Richard. I've not come across a job yet that I've needed ramps for that I've not been able to use the solid ramps I got for free off Freecycle for.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk