anti-pollution system failure citroen c5 2009

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: anti-pollution system failure citroen c5 2009

Post by RichardW »

The trouble with the 1.6 HDi fuel filter is that is a) ridiculously expensive (only available as a complete unit - £80 or so from Citroen :shock: ) and b) very inaccessible (although it's not bad once you've got the air pipes off to change the air filter). Lighty recommends changing them every other service (ie more often the the official interval) to prevent just this sort of problem. Got one to fit to my 307 today....
Richard W
Peterdb
My Cars:

Post by Peterdb »

Even that Richard, doesn't mean to forget about maintenance!!!
If a car owner no matter what car it is keep regulair maintenance according the schedule (or if needed more frequently) the problems that can acure to a car or the engine will be far less, so not only Dan but I guess we all should take care about this maintenance schedule.
So even it is a pain in the a..... the filter should be renewed in time regarding the cost as if don't the total cost for having this event as Dan had will be more expensive and for us to help him giving wrong directions and keeping our time busy what could have been used for other matters.
I know this is off-topic but still it should be said
having a good day,
best regards,
Peter den Breejen.
C5 Break 2,0 Hdif (DW 10BTED4 FAB) Aut (ATM AM6B) Ligne PR, 2007, Organummer: 10655 CJ, KM: 410.000, gris aluminium
previous cars: citroen 2CV, Simca 1100 TI, CX 2000, CX Pallas, XM, C5 and as hobby Nissan Patrol.
citroenc5mad

Post by citroenc5mad »

As regards to the maintenance schedule it has full service history!!!
I serviced it about 2 months ago now, I was given the wrong advice then about the fuel filter as this what lead to the problem as I wanted to change said filter but was advised not to so didn't. I did change all filters, oil air, cabin/pollen which everone you want to call it. I also purchased the correct oil recommended by Citroen.
I service regiously @ every 6k, the next 1 I am taking it to a trust worthy garage, and will get them to carry out a full/complete service of everything, have been using said garage for years not the garge I got the car from.

I know what your saying about belts etc, I check mine every week maybe 2-3 times as I do a lot off miles in my beast and try to keep in best health. The belts that can be seen as for cambelt getting it changed shortly, would like to know how I can check the health of this belt tho, so what I need to remove to have a gander and obser the belt, if anyone knows please mention it.

£80 from Citroen I normally use gsf £30 for fuel filter, and for my parts, nice local, but they did try and give me the wrong oil filter tho so always check before leaving for the correct filter. Done this a couple of times.

Dan
Peterdb
My Cars:

Post by Peterdb »

Dan, with all respect, I guess that you did buy the lady from the garage you went to.
The full service history that they did give you , better check on what interval the filters where done, especialy the fuel filter!!
Then check according the history when they changed the belts, this recommendet changing you find back in the service / instruction book from this car.
I'm driving a 2 ltr HDIF so I'm not sure what the interval of your car will be but on mine I cannot see the condition of the so called cambelt unless I open up the top of the cover and that is not an easy job, I only do that when changing the belt.
The other belt as you say can be seen with the help of a mirrow keeping under the belt when turning the engine with the gear in 3 or 4 and move the car by hand, on mine cannot do as it is an automatic gear but I can see only visual the state, no small damages on the sides of the belt etc.
For the rest you have to look into the instruction book that belongs to the car and the service history when they changed the last time your belts.
To have every 6K service done to the car (and not by a Citroen dealer) I have my daubts that they check all, not just oil and water!!
But at the other hand Dan, you can do a lot yourself if you have some knowledge about engines and specially the Citroen engine.
Read books about it, there are on line good lecture about it what gives you a better view and understanding how technic inside your lady is working.
Wish you luck and hope you don't have anymore problems with her, I drive Citroen for the last 40 years and will not change, maybe I'm to old for it but I like the way the car in total is built up and until now I did drive with this one nearly 400.000 km without big problems.
Ok sometimes you have problems unexpected like cable connections "broken" (see my previous problem here) but for the rest no big issues.
What you have to learn is that Citroen did built cars especially the C5 that can happen that as a sudden the car stops or a signal in the display that needs attention but it can all be solved, quicker as you think. Having a LEXIA myself did help me many times and that investment of around £80 has been recovered long time ago.
Reading on this website also will learn you when you run into a problem or at least you can read how others did solve it before having expensive repairs done in a garage even a dealer.
Good luck again and hope you solve it all.
having a good day,
best regards,
Peter den Breejen.
C5 Break 2,0 Hdif (DW 10BTED4 FAB) Aut (ATM AM6B) Ligne PR, 2007, Organummer: 10655 CJ, KM: 410.000, gris aluminium
previous cars: citroen 2CV, Simca 1100 TI, CX 2000, CX Pallas, XM, C5 and as hobby Nissan Patrol.
citroenc5mad

Post by citroenc5mad »

I brought my last 2 Citroens from a dealer where I live and I take them to a garage where I used to go before I love to cambridgeshire. I'm the same I don't think I will change from them either now I've been driving them for 3-4 yrs now and love them.
With respects to the cambelt, for my engine I believe it states 150,000 miles or every ten years, I don't know how todo this so I pay a garage for the privalidge, but I do everything else my self, oils water etc.
I would give it ago but if I get it wrong it will upset the beast.
My car has only just covered 64,000 miles so the fuel filter was due, but like I said bad advice given and I bite me in the ass but you live and learn.