2005 C5 weird rear wheel position query - pics added

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KevMayer
My Cars:

Re: 2005 C5 weird rear wheel position query - pics added

Post by KevMayer »

I've been underneath my C5 to replace a corroded/ruptured hydraulic suspension feed pipe to the rear suspension. A pig of a job, hadto remove fuel tank, exhaust, rear subframe and underbody protection covers. Plus disconnect/drain rear brake pipes.

For a while my rear subframe was on my garage floor while the car was outside on axle stands.

Anyway, my observation is that, when I came to re fit the rear subframe it occured to me that there are no reference points to make sure the wheels/subframe is fitted straight and true.

I fitted the four mounting bolts and got underneath with a torque wrench to tighten. I was in a unique position of being able to push/pull the subframe to see how far it would move on the bolts. It moves quite a lot, so much so that I could see that if the 4 mounting bolts were loose the subframe could be at an angle to easily give 5 to 10 mm difference in wheel position front to back. Possibly the subframe could move/twist slightly if you hit a nasty pothole (maybe).

So, with the C5 in this thread, you could try jacking up the rear onto axle stands, loosen the 4 subframe bolts slightly and then get underneath and try to push/pull until it's square. Then torque the bolts up to 85 lbft (as per Citroen Service Docs).

I've put everything back together on my C5 and just need to bleed the ABS block before I can take it for a test run (but, my Lexia 3 has stopped working. Needs a new activation code ???). It'll be interesting to see if it drives straight.

The last time I had the wheel alignment adjusted the garage reported that the toe in of the rear wheels was odd, like the subframe was out of alignment. They measured the rear 'thrust angle' and adjusted the front to compensate. I may have now straightened up the rear and so my fronts may need aligning to match.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Axa
My Cars: 2008 Renault Grand Espace 2.0dci Auto.
2006 Citroën C5 1.6hdi.

Post by Axa »

Did the garage not say more specifically what was odd about the toe in the rear? I don't remember the numbers, but I suspect our car have a bit to much toe in at the rear. But that can't be adjusted by anything else then by bending the beam by heat shrinking. Not sure its wort it as tyrewear are not to bad anyway..
2006 C5 1.6 HDi ( vin: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] )
2008 Grand Espace 2.0Dci Auto
Jovani
My Cars:

Post by Jovani »

Hello again. I apologize for the necessity of registration, but such is the policy of the forum. I will try anyway to show photographs.
Tools: 2h24 gedore of bolt and nut, 8 and 10 gedore to BRAKE DISC PROTECTOR, 10 and 11 hydraulic keys to BRAKE CALIPER DRAIN SCREW and Pipes, T55 bolt stabilizer bar, torque wrench, a set of screwdrivers, hammer, jack, pliers and rags free time at least 5 hours.
mileage at the moment was 94,000 km.

mileage at the moment was 210,000 km.
Damage to the fitting of rear brakes
Repair Kit:

I hope I was helpful, I apologize if there are errors - use google translate
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Excellent set of photo's. Should be a big help to anyone tackling this.
Has your car been in water deep enough to cover the axles? It looks as though water has penetrated the bearings and they have corroded away rather than worn down.
Jovani
My Cars:

Post by Jovani »

Car not swim in deep water , nothing other than normal operation . Factory bearings had very little grease. The first repair trampled them with plenty of black lithium grease OMV, which was , as seen in recent photos not a good idea. Now lubricated with a special water- repellent grease on copper base. Such an arrangement of the suspension is the same as the Xantia, XM, BX, C15 and the same problems - needed repairs in equals approximately 100,000 km .
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Good and interesting photos - thank you for posting them. Glad to see you are replacing the bearings :-D

Bring back the grease nipple !!
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Didn't someone here a looong time ago fit grease nipples to his (BX?) bearings?