complicated replacement keys! Xantia estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: complicated replacement keys! Xantia estate

Post by citroenxm »

No adam it hasnt..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Eroe, could you please post up a picture (or link to a webpage with a relevant picture) of the key in question. There are several possibilities as to your key, and it would help to give you the correct information.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Well, mine is a bit of a mystery.
The key is a rigid one, unlike either of the examples in the links above, but with a body of a second key screwed to it with a self tapping screw.
This second key has had the blade cut off with something like a hack-saw. I think it was probably originally like this:- http://www.key2lock.co.uk/Portal.aspx?page=94&prod=1034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But have no idea why this has been done. I suspect both plastic bits would have had chips in, though would be surprised if the intact key had a working chip after having a screw driven through it, which makes me think the chip being read by the car resides in the mutilated key.
I have bought a Lexia, which has been resisting my attempts to install it, though I have been too busy to give it my undivided attention, so it may well be my fault. I haven't got my security PIN, nor any blank keys, so I'm some way away from being able to introduce any new keys, but it IS on my to-do list!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Eroe

Post by Eroe »

Right, here we go chaps! Sorted!!
Got new key fob and blank blade - ebay 'topfobs' £12.68 free postage next day service.
Noticed lid/insert cover on one side of new blank - followed instruction that I found on another forum - see below.
Went to a decent honest garage who could use my key code to cut a blank (South Street Motors Wellington)
Matt cut my blank
I transferred the chip using the instructions below.
Door locks work
Car starts!!!
Matt charged £12 for cutting my blank, ebay £12 68 Total 24.68.
So thanks for your support and all your ideas - hope my experience might help some one else! :-D

"I went onto the FCF and asked why they wouldn't work in the ignition and I was told that I would need to have them coded to the car with a lexia if they had transponder chips inside the Key heads. if not I would never be able to start the car with my newly cut keys.
well I have managed to get around it now and thought that maybe the Xantia owners would like to know how.
My Xantia is a Mk2 1998 model with the RF remote key fob with the folding keys.
I looked at the key blade head and realised that I could take the side off of it, it was tricky to do but I managed with the fine edge of a modelling scalpel blade, once the side of the blade head was off I could see the transponder chip sited in a specially moulded part of the key head. I then checked the internal moulding of the newly cut key heads which fortunately turned out to be identical, I teased the chips from the old worn out keys and put them into the newly cut keys firstly marking them with a pencil so I knew which way round they went and which way up they should be, they are so small it could be very easy to drop them and loose which way around they go.
The new keys work absolutely fine in the ignition and the doors, key cutting at a normal high street cutters was a tenner for each key. Just thought it might be helpful to others as the availability of these repair kits becomes more and more scarce, I found plenty of people who would solder the new switches into place but they couldn't source the switches only the key blade and key fob the supplier above in Peterborough has the key fob two switches, key blade and battery all in this kit. minus the transponder chips which are in your old keys and easily transferable No coding of the new keys is necessary. almost forgot to mention that the new keys are solid brass, which is a lot better for the simplex ignition locks which have brass pins inside them the OEM keys were made of steel and in time the brass pins are worn by the steel key and the ignition lock collapses.
regards"
Eroe

Post by Eroe »

Hellraiser, sorry, have tried to post pics, but the forum format doesn't accept my photos. Tried uploading, but it says 'the image file you tried to attach is invalid' and I have no idea why!
Eroe

Post by Eroe »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
best I can do about pics. go to my pinterest site and see the 2 photos of both my fob and where the chip is in the head of the key, and how easy it is to swap.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Elaine, I would be inclined to get a second fobkey (like your original) so that if it fails (or you lose it) you have a spare. You will need to get one with the chip, and then arrange for somebody with a Lexia to introduce both keys to the car (any that aren't done are 'forgotten' by the car), so you will also need the security code. If you don't have this Citroen will get it for you for a fee (about £10), but you will need proof of ownership of the car. Fortunately it appears the chips can be re-used on Xantias; the C5 seems to lock the key to the car so it is a one time process.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

So you managed to do EXACTLEY what I had said you could do... earlyer in your topic..

I said the chip is easilly removed from the key blade at the top, assuming you were talking about the fold away blade and fob.

It is easy when you know how, no need for any expensive rip off re-coding subject to not having a Lexia..

Good Stuff!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto