Simon's new Xantia V6 and Leaf blog

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Simon's new Xantia V6 and Peugeot Ion blog

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent work Simon =D> As a veteran of that job on a number of occasions now I can fell for you in all you did, including replacing a balljoint boot... It's a heck of a task I find to get that circlip back on!!!

You and I use the same method to open up the strut clamp on the hub except I use an Allen key!

Good on you Richard for all you did, including running back with the missing bracket! That is indeed well beyond the call of duty anywhere except in our community - I've done similar on many occasions... Excellent!

Where are you going on holiday Simon?

I wish you all an excellent time and may the weather be kind and the midges absent [-o<

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote:Excellent work Simon =D> As a veteran of that job on a number of occasions now I can fell for you in all you did, including replacing a balljoint boot... It's a heck of a task I find to get that circlip back on!!!
Yes - I knew I had the spare boot but I was terrified of putting a hole through it during the swap over as I know just how easy that is to do and that would have delayed the car a week to wait for another identical ball joint to steal another boot from... fortunately luck was on my side.
You and I use the same method to open up the strut clamp on the hub except I use an Allen key!
I've edited my post - it was actually a 3/8" drive 7mm allen bit not torx. I tried to use an allen key but I needed 7mm and my allen key set skips from 6 to 8! #-o However it did have a 3/8" drive 7mm allen bit and that turned out to be perfect and probably better than a normal allen key as it was both easier to hammer in and out and also didn't get in the way. :)
Good on you Richard for all you did, including running back with the missing bracket! That is indeed well beyond the call of duty anywhere except in our community - I've done similar on many occasions... Excellent!
Yes indeed, it was the ball joint from hell - there is no way I would have been able to do the job by myself - I think even if I had a giant vice and a welder I wouldn't have had the nerve to use as much heat and force as Richard on getting it out. :twisted:
Where are you going on holiday Simon?

I wish you all an excellent time and may the weather be kind and the midges absent [-o<

We're going up to a caravan park/campground in Dornoch - never been there before and it was booked by my other half on the spur of the moment so I hope she chose well. :lol:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I've just been looking at some pictures of Dornoch Simon, it looks a very beautiful and interesting place :) Just the job for a holiday...

The town itself looks to be pretty and there's some really stunning countryside around there, especially along the coast...

Take plenty of pictures ;)

lexi
Donor 2020

Post by lexi »

Grannies Heilan Hame by any chance? Hope you get hot sun or breezy conditions. The midges are oot! :lol:

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Post by daviemck2006 »

When you are in Dornoch head south again on the A9, before you get to the dornoch bridge turn left I to what was the a9 many years ago and you will come to the bridge I put on to the NC 500 thread. Go over that bridge and you will do t an unphotographed AA box at Ardgay. I missed it. Then turn right, alternative route to Inverness over the struie hill and get some lovely view points it comes out into the A9 at the Skiach services where you used to get a decent meal at a reasonable price, although I haven't been at it for years now.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

lexi wrote:Grannies Heilan Hame by any chance? Hope you get hot sun or breezy conditions. The midges are oot! :lol:

Well guessed, or is it the only caravan park in the town ? :)

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

After nearly a year I finally have balanced wheels on the Xanita. :-D

I took the car to Cooper Brothers in Newmains this morning - I was there for about 1 1/2 hours as they were quite busy, and it cost £32 but it was worth it. I wouldn't say that the balance was perfect but it is pretty darn close and is infinitely better than it was before. =D> The car is so much nicer to drive at speed now that it isn't trying to shake itself to bits. :lol:

So that's it basically ready for the trip away in two weeks. I did spot one other problem a few days ago - a small amount of weeping from the gearbox banjo joint, again. Enough that it was oily and dirty on the side of the gearbox and the driveshaft :evil: Ever since it went in for the hot flush (where they disconnected that joint to attach their machine) it has been difficult to get it completely sealed 100%.

Last year when it started leaking I fitted brand new OEM alloy washers and cleaned the faces as well as I can but the side of the gearbox was wet again. I cleaned it all up with detergent so I could identify any further leaking and then gingerly nipped the bolt up a little bit tighter. It's possible it was not tight enough as I'm a bit wary of over-tightening a special hollow bolt with no easy replacement! :shock:

The car had a good drive today while I was out checking the wheel balance and when I got home the banjo joint seemed to be dry so lets hope that little extra nip was what it needed. [-o<

daviemck2006
Donor 2020

Re: RE: Re: Simon's new Xantia V6 and Peugeot Ion blog

Post by daviemck2006 »

Mandrake wrote:
lexi wrote:Grannies Heilan Hame by any chance? Hope you get hot sun or breezy conditions. The midges are oot! [emoji38]

Well guessed, or is it the only caravan park in the town ? :)
Grannies is lovely. On a beautiful beach about 2 miles north of Dornoch. We used to have a caravan there permanently. Spent many happy weekends there. There are 2 more caravan sites in the area but they are very basic.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Great news on the wheels Simon!

Fingers crossed the banjo is OK now... I may still have a few alloy washers... If I do you can have them....

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

So we're back from our holiday weekend up north and everything went fine on the car front. :-D

240 miles from Motherwell to Embo (near Dornoch) on Friday, then about 200 miles from Embo to John 'O Groats and back on Sunday (just to say we have been to the tip of Scotland :lol: ) and another 240 miles home again on Monday. So 680 miles all up.

The trip up I managed 31.8MPG fully loaded driving to the speed limit, so typically 60/70:

I was pretty happy with that but then on the trip to John 'O Groats and back I managed a new record for the Xantia V6:

33.8MPG - not bad. :-D Has anyone bested this on the V6, especially fully loaded ? I suspect its because I was driving with very little use of the brakes and at a constant 40-50mph due to being behind slow but steady traffic most of the way.

Here's the old girl really stretching her legs for the first time in many months:

She was an absolute joy to drive and didn't give a moments trouble on the way. (Comment to Jim - I haven't checked the banjo for further leaks since I got back, hopefully it didn't leak! :twisted: )

The ride is incredibly smooth and well composed compared to the bouncy little Ion, and there is hardly any wind noise even when you're well above the speed limit. (Overtaking, ahem) The steering is also incredibly precise and direct at high speeds compared to the somewhat indifferent electric power steering in the Ion which is nice and light at slow speeds but somewhat unpleasant and indirect at high speeds.

The only issue I noticed really was that I think I might have a shot engine mount somewhere. #-o This car has always had quite a lot of take up "slack" when you go from power to overrun at slow speeds in 1st gear, I know I've mentioned it before, and what I noticed over the weekend is that under hard high rpm acceleration there is quite a lot of "vibration" that almost feels like a shudder. For example full throttle 1st or second gear you'll feel it around 4000-6000 rpm, but under a lighter throttle or lower rpm you don't notice any shudder or vibration, where it is perfectly smooth.

I have noticed this vibration before and had wondered whether it's a torque reaction on worn lower arm bushes, but when I put two and two together with the take up slack I realise it's probably more likely to be an engine mounting allowing the engine to vibrate when under heavy load.

The only problem is that the easily visible top engine mounts looks fine to me! :? Has anyone else ever had an issue where a worn engine mount can cause a kind of shudder/vibration under hard acceleration at high rpm ?

When I put the car in drive then reverse with the hand brake on just at idle the engine does seem to tilt a long way, but it's not immediately obvious where the slack is... any ideas ? How many other mounts are there other than the mushroom one on the wing and the torque stabiliser bar ?

It is also due for an MOT around mid July (need to find the last test printout to find the exact date - or is there a way to find out online ?) and as far as I know it should pass without comment!

In other news the Ion has been booked in for its somewhat expensive yearly "service" on July 17th - Peugeot offer an extended 8 year battery warranty (which I think also covers the drive train EG motor and drive inverter as well) which only remains valid if you get the car serviced by them on its yearly schedule.

A bit of a scam if you ask me, making an extended warranty dependent on servicing of non related items, (how does servicing pollen filter, changing the brake fluid etc affect the longevity of the traction battery ??!) however there is 2 years left on this warranty and the car had been kept up to date on the servicing before I bought it (and thus still has a valid extended battery warranty) so I decided to bite the bullet and pay the £381 originally quoted when I bought the car.

However when I went to book it in today I was quoted only £258, which is still expensive IMHO but less than I was expecting. =D> Perhaps they had previously estimated some mileage related items would have been due but the actual mileage I've done since then and quoted them today hasn't been enough for those items to be due. Who knows. 8-[

They will need it for two days in a row because part of the servicing is a battery diagnostic where a Lexia is used to completely run the battery down to measure its working capacity and then charged up again before I can collect the car again - and full discharge and recharge at normal 3 pin plug rate would take the best part of a day. Fortunately they are giving me a "free" courtesy car for the two days so it's not too much of an inconvenience. :)

It will be interesting to see what work they actually do for the still hefty £258! I've managed to get hold of a copy of the i-Miev service schedule, below: (ignore the ticks - they are for the i-Miev owner who scanned this copy)

Larger: http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... dule_1.png

This will be a 6 year (and therefore 24 month) service so everything in the right hand column of the left table, and the mileage is 32k at the moment. I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to see if the applicable items listed on this service schedule add up to £258! :twisted:

As soon as next summers final battery warranty-enabling service is complete it won't be going back to Peugeot again... :wink:

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Due on the 9th August.

Nothing fell off then after rebuilding the OSF corner!

That last pic is very atmospheric with the sun setting behind the clouds.

You do know of course that John O'Groats is not the most northerly point.... that is slightly further along at Dunnet Head. Another trip required??

I think to check the mount on the end of the torque link mount you need to remove it - I couldn't tell that the one on my HDi was shot by looking at it, only when I took it out and it fell apart. I can see that a soft mount would cause some 'tramp' under hard acceleration.

I'd ask for a breakdown of parts and hours to justify the cost, but a couple of hours labour, brake fluid and pollen filter probably adds up to £250....! Most of it TBH sounds like an MOT really.

Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote:
28 Jun 2017, 15:41
https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Due on the 9th August.
Ah, cheers for that. I can take it up to 4 weeks early without moving the anniversary date, correct ? I see the last two times I took it on the 15th and 20th of July.
Reason(s) for failure
Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content at idle excessive (7.3.D.4)
Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)
GRR! It really annoys me that this completely bogus failure goes on the permanent record of the car. There was nothing wrong with the emissions or the brake as those who read my blog may remember, and I took it back 2 days later for a pass... [-X
Nothing fell off then after rebuilding the OSF corner!
Nope! Everything seems fine there. :)
That last pic is very atmospheric with the sun setting behind the clouds.
Yes, I took it on purpose for that effect, although it doesn't look as impressive as it did first hand. That's an HDR version of the photo - the non-HDR version completely blew out the highlights into a big white blob. :twisted:
You do know of course that John O'Groats is not the most northerly point.... that is slightly further along at Dunnet Head. Another trip required??
Damn it! :rofl2: We did actually drive through Dunnet to get to Thurso but did not drive to Dunnet Head, where I see there is a lighthouse. Close enough I say! :lol:
I think to check the mount on the end of the torque link mount you need to remove it - I couldn't tell that the one on my HDi was shot by looking at it, only when I took it out and it fell apart. I can see that a soft mount would cause some 'tramp' under hard acceleration.
It's quite a serious vibration that seems to centre around 5000rpm, and although I've previously only really noticed it in 1st gear when you floor it, on this trip it was also happening around 50-70mph when you'd floor it to overtake and it would kick down to 2nd, and the same vibration was there under full throttle in 2nd, which suggests its engine speed related not road speed related, which would seem to rule out lower arm bushes and point the blame at engine mountings. :(
I'd ask for a breakdown of parts and hours to justify the cost, but a couple of hours labour, brake fluid and pollen filter probably adds up to £250....! Most of it TBH sounds like an MOT really.
Yeah, I can almost stomach £258 when you consider the cost of labour these days, (I'm too used to doing these things myself and excluding labour costs) but the originally quoted £381 was way over the top. This price definitely includes brake fluid change as that was specifically mentioned over the phone.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's excellent economy Simon :)

I once cracked 35mpg from a V6 but that was just after my first gearbox rebuild and I was driving the car very gently indeed on a trip to Somerset and back...

I never, ever got that close again...

All I can say is yours must be in absolutely fine fettle :)

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Simon, if you're not happy being forced to have the new car serviced by the manufacturers network, you might want to call the ombudsman and ask what your consumer rights are, as I'm sure it's possible to use an independant service as long as the schedules are adhered to and OE parts used (records a must!).

I attended my sister's purchase (around 2010 I think) of a new car from Vauxhall and challenged their assertion "as long it is serviced by us" before she signed the paperwork and the salesman reluctantly admitted she can use other services.

" If your car has been serviced by an independent
service/repair outlet, make sure you keep records
of all work completed (including detailed invoices
of the work and any parts used, plus the brand
and specification of the oil and filters used) and
ensure that the service and/or repair is completed
according to the manufacturer’s requirements."

https://www.themotorombudsman.org/wp-co ... r_Code.pdf

elma

Post by elma »

My best MPG is just below 30 on a good run, also laden. I think it will improve slightly with the oil change etc as it's a little overdue. 34 is impressive though and a little beyond my expectations for mine.

That is a lovely picture and a very posh caravan, double glazing, apexed roof and real guttering with a down pipe! Sheer Luxury compared to my little house on wheels.