C5 Radius Arm Bearing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Re: C5 Radius Arm Bearing

Post by citronut »

the caliper bolts are usually stuck solid through excess lock tight the full length of the bolt shank,
my local citroen dealer say they dont even bother trying to save the bolts or calipers on C5's, they just lop them off and fit all new,
as apparently it would cost a lot more with there hourly rate :? :shock: :roll: #-o

i would just purchase new bolts then with even gradual pressure, no jerking or bouncing on what ever length of scaffold tube :twisted: :-D you choose to use

they will either come out with lots of ( time i dug out and dusted this one off ) PERCY WHAT SIT or shear off, if the latter firstly you will have new bolts to hand, secondly you will have to drife the remains out of the caliper/s
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I got mine undone with a 3 foot flexy bar but they were tight. They need locktiting when you put them back or they come undone again.

Peter
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

I would agree with everything you said Malcolm, except on this occasion, as about 4 years ago I took off both rear calipers to clean the build up of corrosion between caliper and back plate. (I noticed it by accident really as when I put a wheel back on one side suddenly it was scraping on the caliper edge. I then noticed the angle of the caliper pushed out from the back plate and the white corrosion). After cleaning when reassembling I should have made a gasket between the parts but I think I just greased between and thought if it happens again in a few years and I still have the car I can easily redo it...I might have greased bolt thread but no more as I have never used thread lock...
I need to take the wheel off and have another look, if excess corrosion is forcing the bottom of the caliper out....could that be the reason for the bolt head seemingly melting into the caliper???
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i usually smear grease all up the bolt shank on reassembling,
try steady continuous force with a suitable length bar and no jerking,
as you have had them out before it could be the caliper has just jacked its self out one edge and grabbing the bolt,

it certainly appears from the factory they fill the cavity in the bolt through way of the caliper with lock tight,
the bolts are machined down in diameter most of the length of the shank, except a short section at head and thread ends
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi Jeff

Glad you got the job done. I recently did mine and like you it took much longer than planned because of the corrosion etc. I spent the week beforehand spraying all the nuts, bolts and suspension 'R' pin with plus gas to make sure it all came apart ok. My calipers were also at a funny angle due to corrosion. Luckily I was able to unbolt them clean off the corrosion and replace with new ones.
Again like you I had issues getting the rebuilt arm attached to the car. It involved me underneath the car andbench pressing the arm into postion assisted by 2 mates with hammers and drifts to line it up. Cost me 2 bottles of red for their efforts but still far cheaper than getting a main stealer I mean dealer to do the job.
I'm hoping I never need to do the front cos that looks very complicated and I've never split a ball joint in my life.

Well done again to you mate:-)

Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

Thanks Malcolm and everyone else for sharing helpful advice. Makes this forum the best...

Bandit - you are absolutely right...plus gas over a few days is definitely the right way to tackle this job.
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate