Whatsthisthen?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Whatsthisthen?

Post by CitroJim »

Wow :-D Finally, I got one...

It was the bulkhead and the tiny bit of bonnet that gave it away...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I thought I had it close enough to just recognise the rover v8!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The section on the Insurance form for "has this vehicle been modified in any way?" must take a few pages to fill in :!:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:The section on the Insurance form for "has this vehicle been modified in any way?" must take a few pages to fill in :!:
:rofl2: :rofl2: That'll be right enough!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote:
NewcastleFalcon wrote:The section on the Insurance form for "has this vehicle been modified in any way?" must take a few pages to fill in :!:
:rofl2: :rofl2: That'll be right enough!
It would probably be best to answer "Very little is original".
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Not so much a whatsthisthen, more a "Name that Setee"

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

But is it as comfy as a real DS?
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

That is truly ugly, has no related proportion, high one side low the other and in Vomit brown "leatherette" against Blue ?....looks like they just emptied a skip at that came out.
Very poor work IMO
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Agreed :twisted:
Jim

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

You'd think they could have reproduced the nice comfy DS seats with the fluted cushions.
NewcastleFalcon

Came across this when I discovered the article on the Vintage Car rally at the Honister Slate Mine.

Looks nice and undigital , any ideas what iis it, and how it works :?:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:any ideas what iis it, and how it works :?:
Yes. It is the sight-glass to monitor the operation of the drip-feed total-loss lubrication system for the engine...

It was a popular system back in the 20s, especially on motorbikes. A pump would pump it up from a tank and the oil would solowly drip to lubricate the big ends and mains. Oil mist from the leakage past then would do the cylinders...

Instructions on adjusting it was to be able to observe a slight blue haze in the exhaust when under full power.. Too much oil would foul the plugs and too little would cause the engine to 'nip-up' (i.e. partially seize) under heavy load.

All a bit trial and error really...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Definite prize for you there Jim, the "Maiil Online" article just described it as an oil-pressure guage. I take it the knurled wheel is the "adjuster" but what appears in the glass if all is well-a steady drip of oil?, or if some catastrophe is about to happen? -no drip of oil.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, that's right Neil, just a steady drip of oil. No drips mean the oil tank is empty or the pump is broke but the end result will be the same!!!

The adjustment is needed and regularly too as the drip rate is very viscosity dependent and this changes with what oil is in use and the temperature... It need tweaking emery journey and even during... Hence why it's on the dash in a car and on a motorbike, on top of the petrol tank

My lathe has the same lubrication system although in that case the sight-classes are also the oil reservoirs. When the lathe is in use there's a little lever to flick them into operation and then you can observe the drips.. I go for one about every 30 seconds...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Over on the I-Spy Classic Cars thread, the Rover P6 came up, and its assortment of rather nicely named-colours.....almond, apricot, avocado, paprika and tobacco leaf. Another of the colours was Spanish olive. So what comes up when you put "Spanish Olive cars" into google.....

This:-

I'm sure Addo will get it straight away, and I've not been too careful with the image info, and the badge is in full view. Never come across it before

its a Spanish Olive.....what?

Regards Neil

Ps 999 points for a genuine on the road spot of one of these. :!:
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey