Nice places to stop off at.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

van ordinaire
donor 2017

Re: Nice places to stop off at.....

Post by van ordinaire » 24 Nov 2018, 14:37

Only TWO days!!!!!!!

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon » 23 Mar 2019, 21:53

Thornton Le Dale North Yorkshire a few miles on from Pickering on the Scarborough road. Very picturesque and home to Mathewsons Classic Auctions.
geograph-4619289-by-Christine-Matthews.jpg
geograph stamped image
Regards Neil

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 23 Mar 2019, 22:24

One of my favourite places although I have only been once, about eight years ago, in 56 years.
Used to be there once a month during early teens.

NewcastleFalcon

Reading Services?

Post by NewcastleFalcon » 12 Jun 2019, 08:12

....nice place to stop off at in May each year anyway if you have an interest in one of the disappearing sounds of the British Countryside, and unlikely ever to be heard in Berkeley Square again.

Yes I was surprised when Reading Services Featured on Springwatch recently with this..

Gary Moore: In search of the Nightingale

Not surprising when you know that the nearby Theale and Burghfield Gravel Pits support 100 pairs of Nightingales, one of the most important populations in the UK.
I came across this to find out more, and find that part of the site is under threat from nearby plans for Housing Development.

https://britishbirds.co.uk/article/bb-e ... ng-system/

"In 2016, a planning application was made for 225 new homes, of which 24 were to be ‘can float’ homes along one shore of Main Pit, while the remainder were to form a conventional housing estate on land in the northwest corner of the site. At first sight this seems an odd place for such a development. Quite apart from its importance for wildlife, the site lies in a flood plain, and access to Reading, the nearest major town, is via one of two single-track bridges. The scheme was rejected by the local planning authority at the first stage of the process under the Local Plan for identifying suitable sites for residential development. However, Prudential Assurance paid over £3 million for the site in 2006,.....
Regards Neil