MOT coming up. Fluid change?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: MOT coming up. Fluid change?

Post by Northern_Mike »

Only had vapour lock on a 2cv with a stuck caliper, which gave me a fright when the pedal went to the floor coming up on a queue of traffic. Had much brake fade from various pads getting too hot.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

To change the fluid and bleed the brakes fully and properly on the X7 you need to..... and you'll never guess this bit :-D ....... plug it into a Lexia - Diagbox. Oh what a surprise :?

Various quotes and snippage from DocBackup:

"1. Tooling
A bleed unit approved by the manufacturer.
1 Diagnostic tool."

"Vehicles fitted with ABS/ESP have a system containing 2 brake circuits :
The primary brake circuit which is the main circuit pressurised directly by the brake pedal
The secondary brake circuit inside the hydraulic block"

"6. Bleed the secondary brake circuit
Bleeding of the secondary braking circuit is done with a diagnostic tool.
CAUTION : This procedure is only carried out if the primary brake circuit has been bled.
N.B. : The bleed is carried out with the engine off and requires two operators (Ignition on ).
Connect the bleeding apparatus on the brake fluid reservoir (1).
Bleed the secondary brake circuit (Refer to the procedure of the diagnostic tool .
At the end of the bleed programme, check and top up, if necessary, the brake fluid level.
Check the brake pedal travel (no extension), otherwise repeat the bleeding procedure."

.......so i'm guessing your £50 would only get as far as bleeding the primary circuit.

cheers,
Robin
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Cheers for that Robin. I can ask the question now with a little more knowledge of the procedure. I suppose the secondary circuit would still have old fluid in it then?
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

qprdude wrote:I suppose the secondary circuit would still have old fluid in it then?
Yes, but it reads as though 'the secondary circuit' is actually contained within the hydraulic block, so I can't imagine it contains huge quantities of brake fluid.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Oh well, the car failed on a "gaitor clip" (I assume on the steering or drive shaft boot) and a Shock Absorber.
Unfortunately, they didn't have the shocker in stock so I'm home 80 miles away in a loaner. Back up tomorrow when they have fitted the new shocker. All done under warranty and the C4 1.6 HDI was full of fuel so no real cost except my time. Took a long time to get there this morning as an accident had closed the A96 and we had to turn back then take a major detour through the hills and back roads. Not a lot of fun, as it was through whisky distillery country and we got stuck behind booze tankers and massive log transporters.
The C4 loaner is OK but basic. The engine looks like a toy! Getting brilliant MPG though but I won't be swapping the C5 any time soon.
I kept wanting to change to 6th gear as the revs are quite high, but there ain't one, and where my 6th is in the C5 is reverse on the C4 (Oops)
Rick.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Shock absorber?

This is a C5 you are talking about :?:
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Yes, a confused and disturbed C5 owner. Never even questioned it. Only saw the girl in reception after they had phoned and spoke to swimbo as I was busy. Unfortunately, they are now closed so I shall phone tomorrow.
I've kind of convinced myself that the receptionist is a bit of a wally . I'm thinking the mechanic might have said it has a hydraulic leak on the suspension, and trying to be clever she has translated that to something she has heard about shockers leaking. I did wonder why a Citroen garage wouldn't have such a part in stock, but it never clicked. #-o #-o #-o #-o
Rick.

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Doesn't really matter if it's getting done under warranty.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

That's true Davie. I suspect it might be a sphere. Bloody performance this morning. Some bird smashed her fiesta a couple of miles south of Keith. The old bill turned us back all the way to Huntly, then to Dufftown, Rothes and back to Elgin. I was 20 minutes late getting to Inverness, having left Inverurie with enough time to be at least 40 minutes early (had hoped to get some brekkie first. I didn't really want the loan car but glad I took it in the end. The alternative was a hotel in Inverness for the night. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Rick.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Be glad it's under warranty.... the 'shocker' will be one of the front suspension struts which seem to prone to leaking - but the real shocker is that they are about £230. Plus fitting!!!
Richard W
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Phew. As a matter of interest Richard, would that be anything to do with a bit of a bang when I go over "sleeping Policemen". It happens on the return as I come off the bump, rather than going on to it. IE not on compression of the strut but on the release as it were?
Rick.

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Wait a minute guys. My Vel has Esp/Abs everything. I bled the lot through with Eeezibleed when overhauling brakes. I even cut a pipe to make a flare but kept MC topped up

You only need to use diagnostics with mine if you get a burst pipe ie lose fluid and get air into abs block when ign is on.
I must have got almost all the fluid changed out? Except the abs block itself maybe.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Got the car back yesterday after another 160 round trip. Arrived a wee bit late due to a broken down car on the A96 causing massive tailbacks. Workshop was closed and receptionist wasn't up to speed on what had been done. Paid the MOT fee, grabbed the paperwork and headed home.
When I read the paperwork, there was no mention of the suspension fault/repair which meant no MOT fail cert and no advisories.
Even though the suspension was fixed FOC, I thought there would be a reciept/bill with the work carried out and a Warranty/FOC figure in the price column.
Anyway, I have Emailed them and asked what was done.
A quick look under the bonnet more or less confirms that it was indeed a suspension strut.
Not being familiar with the parts, I can see a new top, nice and shiny black, with a new nipple on top but what would seem to be the original Sphere. Would any experts care to tell me if this would indicate a new front offside suspension strut having been fitted?

Re the fluid change. No difference to the brakes, as indicated by others. In fact, after driving the 1.6 HDI C4 for a couple of days, my C5 brakes seem sluggish. That said, the C4 brakes were dangerously harsh in my opinion, especially at slow speeds in traffic. Perhaps they need getting used to after the big heavy C5. Even feathering carefully nearly put SWMBO through the windscreen a couple of times!
Rick.

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Typical A96! We are away to brave it, not in a white c5. I know your strut has been replaced under warranty, would it be worth asking it struts should be replaced in pairs and therfore they should do the other side as well? As part of the same warranty claim of course! Might save you a few quid when the other side is gone next year. Apart from that it's nice to see someone getting on ok with a garage for a change. If ever mine needs a citroen garage I shall go to Inverness.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Not sure if leaking struts warrant changing both sides really. Not like steel springs, although I don't see why springs should be changed as a pair either. They are subject to different loads throughout their life span . That said, I had a look at a website that quoted £380 for a new strut, plus fitting. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: . I'm just glad to get the leaking one done. I have another years warranty, and it includes stuff picked up at MOT and service, so I might just sneak a service in before next July.
I don't generally recommend anything, especially garages, but in all honesty, Ness motors have been the best company I have ever dealt with in 40+ years of car owning.

When I was there, I had a seat in the new DS5 top of the range jobbie. The whole car is simply fantastic. Slightly Range Rover shaped but much more stylish. Three sun roofs, drivers, passengers and rear seat all independently operated. Centre console and dash just about as clear and well planned as possible, and it would be an absolute joy to zip down the motorway. I had to get out eventually, as I was beginning to drool on the soft leather and hide seats.
I'm a Champagne kind of geezer. Pity I only have a beer budget.
Rick.