Spring compressor recommendation

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Spring compressor recommendation

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh :shock: Shocked at the condition of those top bearings Richard... Must have felt like the steering was full of 'three'pny bits'* :lol:

So, even non-hydraulic Citroens have strut top problems then :roll:

* Pre-decimal 3d (old pence) coin, known as a three'pny bit, having many sides. A bit like a 20 or 50p coin but with about three times the sides. A push-bike was said to 'three'pny bit' if the headstock bearings were too tight, maladjusted or otherwise below par. The steering would be full of steps rather than smooth and easy.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It was certainly noisy.... :lol: It's only 6.5 years old / 73k miles. It must be hard on them - we had new springs in our Xsara Picasso, but I don't remember the garage putting in new bearings.

It's still not right in the steering department though :? There's a sort of weird kick back / wobble in the steering. Can't quite put my finger on it, nor figure out if it occurs when changing steering angle or just when moving. I'm leaning towards it being only when moving, although it can be apparent at low speeds - which suggests tyres or CV joint? If it's the rack, then I suspect it will be chop in time :evil:
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

RichardW wrote:It was certainly noisy.... :lol: It's only 6.5 years old / 73k miles. It must be hard on them - we had new springs in our Xsara Picasso, but I don't remember the garage putting in new bearings.

It's still not right in the steering department though :? There's a sort of weird kick back / wobble in the steering. Can't quite put my finger on it, nor figure out if it occurs when changing steering angle or just when moving. I'm leaning towards it being only when moving, although it can be apparent at low speeds - which suggests tyres or CV joint? If it's the rack, then I suspect it will be chop in time :evil:
we used to have like a twang that you could feel through the steering on my daughters Synergie, till fitting new top mount bearings
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years