V6 cam belt replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Re: V6 cam belt replacement

Post by Stempy »

Best I ever got was 30mpg with the Xantia on a long run, but I had fiddled with it somewhat. Mind you it was a tad more feisty than the C5, not that the C5 is slow, but possibly it has different gear ratio's.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Maybe the Xantia is a bit lighter and I'd not be surprised if it was not a little more aerodynamic too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

The technical blurb cites lower fuel consumption under identical driving conditions and an improvement of one litre per 100 km in the standard combined cycle for the later V6.

I think Simon should be looking for a C5 to replace his Xantia. Just think of the hours of fun he would have sorting one out :) I bet you could even pick up a V6 C5 cheaper than a V6 Xantia...

Lexia ponce

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You mean something like this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C5-Ex ... 3f38b5b731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't post up the other 4 found, as the cheapest was over £1,000.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stempy wrote: I think Simon should be looking for a C5 to replace his Xantia.
Good thought =D> You can get to grips with bizarre multiplex faults then Simon :wink:

Being honest Stempy, how do you find the C5 V6 compares to the Xantia V6?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I've had the C5 for a year now and it is beginning to grow on me. It is basically a tricked up Xantia with many similarities to the old bus, but I kind of liked the more raw feel of the Xantia over the refinement of the C5, and I think the Xantia is better looking. I reckon in a drag the Xantia would win even though it is down on power.

The electronics are infuriating but nice to have (when they work) in a poncey sort of way, though looking rather dated now. Shame they are so unstable, but it gives it that certain Frenchness I suppose. Je ne sais quoi I think is the expression, and would be a good motto for the car.

I'm sure the Xantia suspension was a bit more supple also, but that may be down to the C5 needing some attention in that department as it would appear to be on its original 12 year old spheres and LDS, although still under 30k miles. An LDS change is one of the next jobs on the list.

I'm not sure whether the 'normal' brakes are a forward or backward step. Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. I feel the old system was more powerful but with less feel.

Both are lovely to drive though, especially over distance and the smoothness of that engine takes some beating.

Lexia ponce

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stempy, that's most interesting :) On that basis I'm holding onto my Xantia V6!
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Stempy wrote:
I'm not sure whether the 'normal' brakes are a forward or backward step. Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. I feel the old system was more powerful but with less feel.

Both are lovely to drive though, especially over distance and the smoothness of that engine takes some beating.
Can't say that I have had much in the way of electronics problems - the rear nearside window can't be closed from the driver's controls but that's about it.

Re: the brakes. The C4 has a trick up it's sleeve. Try (on a completely deserted motorway) doing an emergency stop from around a hundred miles an hour.
I guarantee that you will be impressed. I was!

My eldest son drove mine a while back. At the time he had a Volvo S60 2.4 and he reckoned the C5 brakes were way better than the Volvo.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well as mentioned previously there are a few jobs on the list to get it up to scratch, front pads and maybe discs is one of them. Discs aren't too worn but might change them with matching pads anyway along with the fluid and regrease of the calipers which will probably improve things somewhat.

Lexia ponce