Xantia drifting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Re: Xantia drifting

Post by isisalar »

Yes Peter, having driven on the new Tyres for a while now it's obvious that the symptoms it's had ever since I got it, a bit of a shimmy at low speed, which I'd put down to tracking, odd vibrations at higher speed, which I'd put down to balance, plus the wandering, tramlining and pulling to the right where all down to the tyres.
The alarming thing was the way the behavior of the fronts changed when they went on the back. I can only think that they must have been swapped diagonally thus reversing the rotation and this had further weakened the sidewalls, I was feeling quite nervous.
On the vibrations subject:-
In 1982 I had a brand new VW Scirocco 1.6gti, as a company demonstrator and I ran it for a year and about 7000 miles. Randomly, the drive to the front wheels would get slightly 'lumpy' gradually getting worse and worse until the car was practically undriveable and would then appear to repair itself and run as smooth as silk. The best way I could describe it to the service manager was to say 'it feels like the drive is coming through in lumps'. I had that car in and out of the workshop, let the service manager run it for a while and always 'no fault found' I could feel it very, very slightly at all times no one else could and eventually the car was sold on the problem still unresolved.
About a year later I was told that at 17,000 miles one of the CV joints had failed completely.
Mystery solved and made me appreciate how frustrating it must be to have an intermittent fault that can't be replicated. One advantage of lexia's etc.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xantia drifting

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

isisalar wrote:About a year later I was told that at 17,000 miles one of the CV joints had failed completely.
Mystery solved and made me appreciate how frustrating it must be to have an intermittent fault that can't be replicated. One advantage of lexia's etc.
The problem with a purely mechanical intermittent fault is that even a Lexia would be hard put to find it (or even acknowledge it existed!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!