xud cooling fan a bit too eager

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ralph
My Cars:

xud cooling fan a bit too eager

Post by ralph »

Put this on the Peugeot forum but it's a wee bit quiet over there. Anyway, since my other car's a Citroen, I'm going to try my luck here
If it's not one cooling problem, it's another...
One of the two fans on my 205 diesel is permenantly on. Runs at half speed when ignition switched on, full speed as soon as engine fired up.
Is my solution to replace the fan's relay switch in the black box of tricks near the battery?
I'm a bit clueless with electrics, I'm guessing the relay is a grey plastic connector which pulls apart in the middle.
Thanks in advance.[:D]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Ralph,
If you're a bit clueless with electrics, it might be better to get someone else to fault find this one...
However, are you sure it actually shifts into high speed, or does it just get a bit faster? The fan takes a lot of current, so will be noticeably faster when the engine is running (and hence alternator pushing the voltage to 14v) then when on the battery alone (especially if you've got the glowplugs switched on at the same time!). If it really does switch into high speed, you have got real problems, and will need to see someone who knows their way around auto-electrics as you have a cross over somewhere from the alternator to the fan.....!!!
I would start by disconnecting the switch at the radiator and seeing if this puts the fan off. If so then you just need a new switch - probably! If not think again.
A relay looks like a small cube (most car ones are about 1" - 2" tall and 1" square) with a cable connector on the bottom, usually with 4 or 5 wires connected to it. Not sure on a 205 where the fan relays are.
At least it's running all the time, and not not running, which is MUCH worse!!
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Thanks Richard, I'll have a look tonight – after I've repaired a wire from the battery's positive terminal to two hefty looking 25 amp fuses in a nearby fuse box which broke as I was prodding about.
The car's got to an age where just about every screw, nut and electrical connection is rusted or about to snap with metal fatigue. I'm beginning to fail to see why anybody would want to restore a classic car!
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

I'd go with Richard on this one - a continuously self-fanning XUD engine is a rare beast. I contrived it once myself while awaiting funds for a head gasket but entirely intentionally!
If you're getting things which break when you don't try to fix them, just imagine the fun you could have trying to actually fix it...... If the car has reached that breakaway age then maybe it might be best to leave it alone - or at least until it stops behaving that way.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

A new radiator fan switch solved the problem. I copped out, it was fixed by Citraulix, in Bingley, West Yorkshire. Charged £17.50 plus an hour's labour at £27.50. They also replaced a wiper washer motor in that time.