xantia back end collapse

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: xantia back end collapse

Post by Xaccers »

Jackson, just stick it on high, get an axle stand under the back so you're protected if it drops and take a look at the dog bone. You may be able to just pop it back on, or as someone's said, wrap some wire like a paper clip around the ends to keep it on, but for goodness sake get to a dealer tomorrow and order a replacement.
The rear will be hard because it will not be able to adjust to the correct height as there is no ling (the dogbone) between the anti-roll bar and the height corrector linkages.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

yep i will do ill just have to take it steady
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Now my bloody interior mirror drop off can't fix it back on plush there's a really bad crack where the mirror was
Manged to drive to work the back end went to so I pumped it back up agine guess where this car was from before the bloke who I bought the car off Medway Citroen can't believe I got stung twice wish I kept the red one bet Medway knew bout the fans not working and the creck in the windscreen underneath the mirror
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

If you put it on high the back end will go to high setting. It will stay there until the lever is set to the low position.

If you put the lever in the low position the back of the car will drop down yo low setting until the lever is set to the high position.

If you move the lever back to the normal driving position from high and the back is up it will stay there
If you move the lever back to the normal position from low and the back is down it will stay there.

I really can't recommend driving any distance with the car in either the fully high or fully low setting for both the sake of the vehicle and you safety.
This could be a relatively easy fix like it was for me, BUT (and I can't stress this enough) do make sure the car is properly supported and cannot crush you if it suddenly drops to the low setting when you are underneath.
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

ive got it in to bullwinkls tomo they going to give me a car. I was taking it in anyway to see about the fans. If another big thing goes wrong with it its going
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

jacksun1987 wrote:ive got it in to bullwinkls tomo they going to give me a car. I was taking it in anyway to see about the fans. If another big thing goes wrong with it its going
Hah! I remember that feeling!
I didn't follow through and I'm glad I didn't.
This is possibly the last model of car to have any character/charisma anywhere in this ever advancing world.
Yes, they're a bit rough in places, under developed, or poorly engineered, or made from questionable quality materials at times.
But, for a Citroen, they're amazingly good. Yet they retain plenty of individuality, are becoming scarce and are a serious joy to be in when working properly.
I usually use SWMBO's Mitsubishi for the school run, but when I bring Cit she attracts a lot of attention, especially if I start her up after a wait.
The way she stretches her legs before we drive off draws a crowd of inquisitive children and some of their parents.
The best thing to do, I've found, is to approach any task as though it's going to be completely different to anything you've done before, Citroens excepted, and then you'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy the Xantia is to work on.
Probably good to learn how to do stuff yourself too. These "dog bones" are really simple things that could be dealt with by anybody who trusts themselves to fill the washer bottle!
I haven't had to touch mine, but am fairly confident it'll take longer to support the car than to change the dog-bone once it's secure!
Don't be conned...
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes, changing the wheel is harder and takes more time.
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Yes I still like the car drives superb on its day just the red one I had never let me down I got in front of it it was only door locks what was wrong with the red one
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

I agree Sparksie.. once jacksun has ironed out all the problems she'll most likely be a pleasure to own.
And, speaking from experience, it does take longer to support the car than to change the dogbone.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

Sorted found out about the fans I need new motors in them where can I buy some does anyone have some fan motors on here it's for a hdi with air con exclusive t reg
jacksun1987

Post by jacksun1987 »

I dont know if its just me. But it seems to drive a bit better then before. Seems more solid