Tyre tread patterns

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: Tyre tread patterns

Post by qprdude »

Had P6000 on my V6 S type jag . No major problems, but without traction control on, the back end twitched a bit on kick down out of a roundabout. With the power available, I doubt if many tyres would stick.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

qprdude wrote:Had P6000 on my V6 S type jag . No major problems, but without traction control on, the back end twitched a bit on kick down out of a roundabout. With the power available, I doubt if many tyres would stick.

It's very odd how some tyres suit a particular type of car, and really don't suit another. They're known as ditchfinders in the MX5OC. I was just accelerating round a left hand bend on a moorland road in the rain, perhaps doing 60, as I had done (literally) over 1000 times before, and ended up sideways in a field, wrote the car off as it ripped the struts out their mountings when it dug into the grass.

Got another MX5, same year, wearing Avon ZV5s shortly after, and it was absolutely rock solid on the same bend in worse weather, yet some people complain the Avons are poor in the wet.
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

Northern_Mike wrote:
Fake Concern wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote:
That said, the Matadors were a whole hell of a lot better than the far more expensive P6000s I have on one car, which were positively lethal in the wet. So lethal, that I crashed without even doing anything stupid!
I had P6000s on my Volvo V70 T5, a powerful car & I always found it very chuckable with them, I have read other adverse comments about them, but that wasn't my experience.
I think P6000s are very sensitive to what they are fitted to, and how it's set up. I've also read that they're ok on C-Class Mercs and the older T-5. It seems that on heavy cars, they're a decent tyre. I had them on two MX-5s and they were great in the dry, but so bad in the wet that the £30 Autoguards I fitted to a Focus once to get it an MOT were way better.
The T5 was a 2002 model (not the square shaped one) certainly a heavy car though. Previously I had them on a Golf GTI Mk3 & they were the best tyres I had on that, but I think I put on 4 of them after one of the Goodyears it had on before went soft and out of shape, leading to very strange handling & roadholding.
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Personally, I would buy two new tyres and put them on the front, I would choose the best match on the rear and a spare.

I would never buy 2nd hand unseen and would never mix a tread pattern on an axle.

If the car is going to slip or spin I like to know how, unmatched tyres could unbalance the car and get "screwy" with the feel/feedback.

I put these on, very happy with wet grip especially ( I have needed it big time once , funny but it was a volvo V70 in a trilby hat that pulled out of a side road :) ) and dry is veryu good as well.
Noise is a little high on rough roads

Westlake SV308-XL
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

We had pirelli on the ex wife's ex pug 206 and they were abominable, to the point she span it in the wet, and it would not move in the snow. They got dumped for 4 Vredestein all weathers and transformed the car completely. If I were qprdude, I would swap the new tyre off the steel spare on to the alloy, get a matching federal new, and whack the 4/5mm one onto the steel spare. He is happy with their performance and wear on what is a big heavy car so why change? I would also put the new on the back, and when fronts are done move them forward and new on the back again. My c2 has goodyear efficient grip on the front and some unknown crap on the back and is very twitchy in the wet even though rears look new and goodyears about 1/2 worn. The c4 had goodyear efficient grips all round when on it's standard wheels and stuck to the road like glue.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
lankytim
My Cars:

Post by lankytim »

qprdude wrote:I have 4 tyres with the same tread pattern, but I will have to change one, or maybe two in the near future. Any problems with having different tread patterns on the same axle?
No, there's no problem at all. Just don't mix crossplies and radials!
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

Fake Concern wrote:@ SwissSPEC, I'm interested to know what you will get that are cheaper & better than Michelins as I have Pilot Sport 3 & rate them highly.
@qprdude I'd be inclined to buy one of whatever your preferred tyre is for now as with only 5mm left the others will need replacing soon & as the weather is improving (!) should be fine with one odd one.
I'm considering these http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop. ... p=R-231979" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CX GTI 2 Turbo (LHD) - Sorn
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

Northern_Mike wrote:
SwissSPEC wrote:. I also never buy budget tyres to save a few quid when a decent tyre stops you in a more predictable & safer way & when weather conditions are poor has more grip & less chance of aquaplaning. When i mean decent tyres, it doesn't necesserily mean that they are expensive one's, there is plenty of information on tyre performance on the web.
This paragraph doesn't make a lot of sense. I went for Matadors on the Berlingo, it's now got Continentals. The Continentals are quieter and better in the wet and have considerabl better grip characteristics.

That said, the Matadors were a whole hell of a lot better than the far more expensive P6000s I have on one car, which were positively lethal in the wet. So lethal, that I crashed without even doing anything stupid!

Uniroyal Rain Experts are a very good tyre, and they are pretty cheap too - at least in the sizes I need them. about £47 each fitted and Balanced for the Berlingo, that'll do for me.
Which bit doesn't make sense? Price isn't a factor when i purchase tyres, their performance is & there are plenty of tyre manufacturers who make extremely good tyres for sensible money. I personally have never had a set of michelin's on any car & found them to be all that great, and have always been pleased when they've worn out so i could replace them with something better & normally a lot cheaper in price as well. I quite like vredestein, superb in the wet & pretty good in the dry as well. Also had good results with Goodyear summer tyres & currently have some excellent Goodyear ultragrip 8 winter tyres fitted to one of my other cars, absolutely brilliant in the snow & sodden roads :)

Tyres can be very subjective with mixed results for the same type depending upon what car they've been fitted to, i've also got experience of runflats as well. I usually look at the various tyre review sites & make a judgment call on what to choose rather than any particular brand loyalty etc...some will only ever drive on michelin's, nothing wrong with that, but they are mega expensive & don't come out as well as others in the tyre tests, i'm not saying their rubbish, but why pay 30-50% more for tyres which aren't as good? But if you've alway's had them & like them, i won't argue even if i think you're mad for paying those prices :wink:
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

OK, now I have a confession to make....................................................I'm an idiot. :^o :-**
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

Stickyfinger wrote:Personally, I would buy two new tyres and put them on the front, I would choose the best match on the rear and a spare.
If you prefer oversteer to understeer perhaps :?: I personally find understeer much easier to sort out & more predictable, call me boring :rofl2:
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

If you're driving fast enough on the road to get unpredictable oversteer, then your rear tyres are worn out, or you're driving like a tit, whatever the conditions.
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

I never realised you could get predictable oversteer with a front wheel drive car ;) Anyway, everyone can choose where to fit new tyres, seems strange when most manufacturers do suggest to get them fitted to the rear rather than the front & yet most do fit them to the front, heyho....
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

SwissSPEC wrote:I never realised you could get predictable oversteer with a front wheel drive car ;)
Of course you can :?
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

SwissSPEC wrote:If you prefer oversteer to understeer perhaps :?: I personally find understeer much easier to sort out & more predictable, call me boring
You prefer the increased stopping distances in the wet with the worn tyres on the front ? As you say - Hey-ho, everyone can choose where to fit their tyres :)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

bobins wrote:
SwissSPEC wrote:If you prefer oversteer to understeer perhaps :?: I personally find understeer much easier to sort out & more predictable, call me boring
You prefer the increased stopping distances in the wet with the worn tyres on the front ? As you say - Hey-ho, everyone can choose where to fit their tyres :)
People seem obsessed with the idea that the new tyres must go on the rear because they tyre companies say so. I believe almost *all* modern tyres are acceptable for road use, and it doesn't really make a lot of difference as long as they're not less than about 3mm of wear. My mum, despite my protestations, puts the cheapest tyres possible on her cars, and has never, in 40 years driving, had any sort of accident at all.

I prefer my better tyres on the front because they do more there. Which tyres hit the standing water on a motorway first? Do you want worn tyres, which won't clear that water as well to hit if first, with a higher risk of aquaplaning? A lack of grip compared to the rear in an emergency stop , wet or dry? I know I don't. The simple fact of the matter is that anyone who loses the back end of a FWD car on legal modern tyres, in the UK, with our speed limits and our road conditions, is driving like a tit. I would wager that 99.999% of accidents where this has happened are down to driver idiocy. I know it was in my case when I wrapped my first Xantia up. That had 4 almost new Michelins on it. Didn't stop me spinning it on a country road, smashing through a stone wall and dropping 6ft into a field in the middle of the night..

Anyone in a small light car on P6000s has an excuse, because they're rubbish in any scenario in the wet.

It's easy to get predictable oversteer in any car, FWD, RWD or 4WD!