suspension bushings & exhaust

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Re: suspension bushings & exhaust

Post by sparksie »

I love my air hammer!
Took it off, repositioned it, belted it back on, took it off again, repositioned it and pressed it on, slowly.
Very odd. It insists on twisting as it goes the last 3mm on to the arm, no matter how slow you go.
Got it a bit better than the other side, came home, stuck it back in the car and now I'm off for a run in it.
Tracking and exhaust will have to wait for another slot...
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Well, to be absolutely fair, there is some difference.
The tracking is now slightly out and she pulls ever so slightly, which she never used to do.
However, she still has pronounced "Mini steady-bar syndrome", which I pointed out to the tester and was informed it was the suspension moving about.
None of the four bushings I've just replaced was nearly bad enough to have accounted for the noise, but I was still hoping!
I'll have to bite the bullet and do the engine mountings, none of which seem bad either!
I was sure the bottom one, which tends to get covered in oil, would be the culprit, but even when urged in that direction, no comment was made about it after the test. I can't seem to make it move without driving, which is a bit of a pain, but when it does move, it feels as though the engine is about to fall out, such is the slack and the bang at the end of the travel!
I'm able to drive in a fashion that disguises it, of course, but it shouldn't be necessary!
Any pearls of wisdom, guys?
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Ok
Cit gave me her exhaust to fix, with no trouble at all. Clamp at the front of the box is a single 16mm (5/8") nut and undid easily.
Then the three rubbers, which come away from the body hangers with little difficulty and that's it.
I found a pin hole in the pipe, between the joint and box, which must be the leak he referred to. Funny there was no blow there when we searched for it over the pit.
In any event, it's nice to feel I fixed something that actually needed it!
I wiped the soot from the long seam and could find nothing wrong with it, so I left that and just welded up the pin hole. Setting up the MIG took longer than the welding.
Putting it back together was simplicity itself.
So far this car has been almost Japanese in the quality of fasteners used to hold the important stuff together. Everything is tight, but once shifted, undoes easily, often using just fingers. She hasn't eaten any of my digits yet, either, which is something of a surprise.
Not a proper Citroen at all, really :)
Now all that stands between Cit and her fresh cert is tracking!
I should be able to do that this evening.
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD