Xantia Slip ring again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: Xantia Slip ring again

Post by Northern_Mike »

I'll have to wait until it's light. The car's still on ramps, but I dropped it to service low to make it look less intimidating to the neighbours! If someone could post the service citroen diagram I'd look myself. I have an account but I'd rather not pay just for one diagram that will probably baffle me.

I'm a little worried no one knows where it goes! Chris570 reckons it goes up to the front of the subframe, then into the "tray" to the front of the car, and that it could be cut where it goes into the tray and a short piece replaced back to the K-piece. It would be good to confirm that is the case, and whether or not the subframe needs to be dropped a bit to get it out.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

RichardW wrote:Image

Item 12? Pipe either goes to the HC or the AS valve (3 or 4) - I can't see any reason why it has to go over the top of the subframe - just go via the shortest route. I think this is the pipe that Chris is having trouble with on his as well http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=47780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is item 3, the pipe that comes from item 12, Richard, many thanks for the diagram. It does, as Chris says in his thread, appear to disappear up into the subframe towards the nearside. If the diagram is correct, In the name of all that's (-expletive removed-) -able, I can't see why the hell it does!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's Citroen, init.... :P
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

whoooops
when i looked at that drawing on service citroen,
i had a mental block

as my pea brain told me it were the front and rear cicuit all in one drawing :? :roll: :wink:

now you have pointed out to me Richard it is as clear as mud

here are the three pipes ( 3, 4 AND 5 ) at coupler No. 12

5270 E3
HYDRAULIC TUBE
DIAM 3,5 L=271

5270 E2
HYDRAULIC TUBE
DIAM 3,5 L=201

5270 E4
HYDRAULIC TUBE
DIAM 3,5 L= 440
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Northern_Mike wrote:I'll have to wait until it's light. The car's still on ramps, but I dropped it to service low to make it look less intimidating to the neighbours! If someone could post the service citroen diagram I'd look myself. I have an account but I'd rather not pay just for one diagram that will probably baffle me.

I'm a little worried no one knows where it goes! Chris570 reckons it goes up to the front of the subframe, then into the "tray" to the front of the car, and that it could be cut where it goes into the tray and a short piece replaced back to the K-piece. It would be good to confirm that is the case, and whether or not the subframe needs to be dropped a bit to get it out.
This is from looking at the activa subframe in my garage, it could be different but I don't think it is. The angle and positioning of the pipe an K piece is identical.

Without a torch and getting on the floor I can't see where the other pipes go (so I know what it does)
If it's the main pressure line I would have thought (although am prepared to be corrected) it would go straight into the anti sink valve so my logic says it's the T that goes to the doseur. If of course it's the main feed it shouldn't be too bad to change the line front to back.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Don't you blokes sleeve and braze lines?
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I can't see where it goes. I think it'll be on the bay before the day is out. If all the knowledgeable lot don't know where it goes we're a bit stuffed and I really don't want to turn up at Citronut's to take advantage of his kind offer and find it's an all dayer of a job where 2/3rds of the car has to be dismantled.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Revised thought.... I had a nagging doubt about the pipe size on the angle leg of that splitter - it looks like 4.5mm to me? Now, the only 4.5mm line is the one to the AS sphere, so that would imply the splitter we are looking at is actually no 11 - and there is a pipe not shown on the drawing. The drawing for brake piping for Hydractive at the rear shows the brake supply line coming off the HC, but non Hyd and Activa show it coming from a splitter, so I am inclined to believe the Hyd drawing is wrong, and the line we are looking at is in fact the brake feed line - which is why it goes over the top of the subframe. The diagram (if it is to be believed :-D ) shows it going to the connector bank on the firewall under the LHM tank - there is a separate pipe shown from this connector to the doseur. Length given as 3768mm. So, looks like Chris is right (access to the real thing always helps!). Depending on the tool Malc has, it may well be possible to flare the pipe under the car and just fit a new section over the rear subframe- but you would need a female-female joiner to make it work. Or braze it as Addo suggests....don't know if that is allowed on UK MOT though....?
Richard W
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I'll go and make a video (probably complete with blue language) under there in a while. I'm sure it's item 12 and pipe 3. Well, it is if the diagram is right.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Annoyingly I have just over 5m of pipe arrived, cut into two 2m something bits.. one is already flared with ends on, the other isn't but I have the ends

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Had Jim on the case too. He confirms Chris is right. The pipe goes up along the top of the subframe then into the tray to the front of the car. Subframe needs to be dropped.

Still want a go Malcolm?

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

He's busy drying out used teabags, as mentioned earlier.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Just had a root under there, it's definitely as Jim and Chris say. Managed to trace it all the way across the top of the subframe , didn't bother to work out which one in the tray it is. Might be doable without dropping the subframe if the pipe is cut in the tray and the old pipe forcefully removed. Annoyingly only the 2" at the rotten visible end is actually rotten. The rest of the pipe is like new.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

addo wrote:He's busy drying out used teabags, as mentioned earlier.
I've got some on low heat in the tumble drier to take down to him.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Part of the secret is pressing them flat to restore the original creases in the bag.