headlights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Neil -
I think you have just done what's necessary to do on all but fairly new Xantia's.
The Lights circuit on the Xantia is crammed with potiential voltage droppers - running over fuses, junction box, several connectors & light swicthes.
Even the separate wirings for each lamp/glow can not prevent the problems.
I have to warn against using 100W bulbs -
As you may have experienced yourself - it did'nt really helped things - instead an even larger voltage drop was seen.
Now you have eliminated the voltage drop - there is large chance that the overwattage bulbs simply will melt down the lense [B)]
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
the way Alan recommends setting them up is best. My BX has it's lights aligned the way they were when I bought it (I've never checked them). However I did relay it's low beam and high beam and put 80/100watt globes in them. I do admit I was concered the reflectors would get stuffed due to the heat produced. My wife was driving big km's in the car after dark, and the lights were fantastic with the globes in them. Well a couple of years later, the cars lights are still exceptional and nothing bad has happened due to the high wattage globes. The BX's lights are nearly as good as my CX's, the CX has relayed inner spotlights, relayed high beam and relayed low beam. The inner spots are fitted with 100watt globes, and high beam has 60watt Xenon gas filled globes. It's lights are VERY good on both high beam and low beam.
I think you will find it comes down to:
-alignment
-Most importantly REFLECTOR CONDITION
-voltage drop to the globes
seeya,
Shane L.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">-Most importantly REFLECTOR CONDITION<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Mine are in poor condition and I am looking to replace them. Has anyone fitted lights from a newer Xantia to a 1994 like mine?
Do mark 2 lights fit a mark 1?
Neil
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Some cars just have poorly designed headlights which can never be improved no matter how hard you try. Early xantias are one of these cars: the lamps have a very small reflective area and a poorly designed glass and are just not very good.
Drive within their limits on dip and find and fit a good pair of relay controlled spotlamps to come on with main.
Theres nothing wrong with square or other odd-shaped lamps lamps provided they are designed properly:I for one certainly don't want to go back to the old round lucas prince-of-darkness type sealed beam units. I have had all sorts of cars over the years and one thing I do know is that most car lamps have vastly improved : at one time every accessory shop had racks and racks of auxiliary lighting, but not any more as the demand for it just isn't there now.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

There is no demand for additional lights because they look terrible on most modernish cars.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

My AX's lights are wonderfull and have always been very good - they are made by Cibie (are these standard?). They are even better with 80/100w lamps.
I once flashed a prat when he overtook me on double white lines at night and he slowed right down in protest. After 10 seconds of AX full beam (where you could see him squirming in his seat trying to avoid his rear view mirrors) he gave up and raced off. No one messes with the AX full beam...[}:)][:D]
The Xantia's lights aren't too bad on 55w high beam (except for a shadow in the middle where they should spot) but are pretty dull on 55w dip. They have a distinct 'v' in their dip pattern which I suppose is design but they fall far short of the AX's conventionally curved '\' pattern; pretty bad considering they are dual lamp units.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

High beam is not too bad now. You're right about the dim - its terrible.
Does anyone know if Mk 2 Xantia lights will fit my Mk1 please. I would change them if they fit.
Neil
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Mk2 lights won't fit, but Lucas aftermarket lights are said to be a lot better than the Valeo's on dipped beam.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

So all I need to do is find a Mk1 Xantia in a scrap yard that has had 2 new Lucas headlights fitted - ermm - sounds easy enough.
Neil
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Try a set of Philips Vision Plus bulbs - worked a treat on my ZX!
Ron
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've seen that you can get a hold of Xenon (Proper HID, not just blue halogen bulbs) upgrade kits aftermarket. I was wondering whether these kits would be any good or not i.e. is the upgrade kit going to improve my lights / be legal etc etc?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If the Xenon HID aftermarket kit resembles a standard H4 (or whatever standard) that goes in your headlamp now - there should not be problems - as the lense is designed for such point of light sources.
But I really doubt it - as these light sources relies on special HT voltage lumps.
It may be a matter of hands/eyes on a demo kit.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The kit would just replace the bulbs (the H1 in my case) and they come with a transformer and ballast thingumy.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sounds promising then.
What are the claimed light intensity increase ?
- and likewise the lo-side amperage consumption ?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Have you looked at the projected load on your wallet for these things, and the cost of the lamps if one goes down, if the relfectors are poor you will probably not see any meaningful improvement for the outlay.
Dave