New Xantia Owner With a few Questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: New Xantia Owner With a few Questions

Post by citroenxm »

As the car is in service LOW and the system pressure is released BEFORE you remove any spheres - swap spheres then start the engine for about 10 seconds! This is the suspension auto bleed session, then tighten the 12mm bleed screw on the regulator back up, put the car on top setting, remove front wheel, and bleed as said above.

TIP: Check the bleed nipple releases easilly enough, they can be tight, or even the rusted away so a spanner wont work! If needs be remove the hand brake cable first, the nipple is below the hand brake cable !!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When you come to replace the light bulbs, get about 40 (I cannot remember the bulb type, other than it is capless), and replace all the dashboard lights at the same time. As it can take over an hour to get the instrument panel out (depending on whether the steering wheel needs to be removed!), it makes sense to do them all. You don't want to repeat the process 6 months later. The two for the heater controls are different (again, I cannot remember the type, but on Gracie they were capped with a very short cap, otherwise they wouldn't fit in).

I believe that, if there is one, the spare tyre is part of the MoT test, but if there isn't one it isn't a fail (as some current cars use cans of tyre sealant instead of a spare wheel).

You can get Hydraflush from GSF (well, I could last year). Citroen don't carry it anymore (the C5 used LDS, not LHM). The bleeding process is covered by the link in my previous post, and it does work properly. If the bleed nipples are a bit crusty, subject them to a daily shot of Plus Gas (for a week) before attempting to move them, otherwise they might shear off. I would then remove them and smear copper grease onto the threads.

It could very well be worth getting a Lexia session done. It can pick up on almost any fault (when used by an expert), and run various tests. This link will get you to the map of forum Lexia owners who are willing to help out;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you were to pop up the last 8 digits of your VIN up, people who know how to could then let you know what your Xantia had fitted when she came out of the factory. If you also were to pop your general location in your signature, members local to you might be willing to drive over to help.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Theres NO POINT dooing a Lexia on this car.

Its a Series 1, LX, with fully mechanical Fuel system and NO ABS. So a Lexia session will not benefit you AT ALL..

Series one AND series two heater lamps are both identical, short Cap, and shorter bulbs then the dash bulbs,

HOWEVER, I have found a way of putiing longer dash bulbs in, its a bit crude but works..

Steering wheel will NEED to come off to get the cowlings off to get the panel infront of the instrument out...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

According to the following post, you might not need to remove the steering wheel to get the instrument panel out (2512Steve);

http://fcf.shalish.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

James!

Series one cars you HAVE to take the wheel off, to get the cowling off that obscured TWO of the front panel screws..

You cant get the Cowling off with the wheel on... Series one Fact!

EDIT: That Lower steering colum is a bit of a FAFF, Ive done this before now and then Ripped the Indicator stalk apart!!

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have NO experience of Series 1 Xantias, but when I did a Google search for the dashboard light bulb types that post came up, hence why I linked it in. On my previous Xantia (a Series 2) I followed the Haynes BoL (later edition), and it had not been updated to instructions that didn't need to remove the steering wheel, so I know how much fun that is!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Yea, Series Two Xantias, 98 onwards dont need the wheel off, BUT they DO need the radio out to get at the screws for the far side of the full panel as it went one piece..

One step forward in one area, two back in another... Stupid.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
WaldoMcBaldo

Post by WaldoMcBaldo »

So I'm starting to get used to my quirky Xantia now. I swear I discover more problems with it every morning I drive it to work. I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned out the filter housing (As it was silted up at the bottom and even had some shiny magnetic bits in the silt. Fuel filter was pretty grubby as well.) and since then I get less smoke and less of a juddery start up. It still happens but much less than it did. I had the positive battery terminal snap on the me other day. I needed to be somewhere fast so I rigged up a very dodgy setup to get me a decent contact. I'm not proud of it and I figure it may be causing my latest problem, as now the damn thing doesn't like starting either hot or cold. It cranks over quickly but just won't fire!

I also have to occasionally tap the temperature gauge to make it work. I was crying with laughter the first time it happened as this is exactly as I'd pictured Citroen ownership :rofl2:

Yes that is the battery cable clamped between a bolt and washer. The cable was too fat to go through one end and too short to split and go through both. It was all I had to hand at the time :oops:

http://postimg.org/image/6kdmzivi3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After reading the overheating battery cable problem page I was wondering if it's possible to trace the positive cable back to it's sources and completely replace it with new cable? I know there's a lead to the alternator and one to the fusebox (Which are ring connectors?) but where does the big fat one go and is it possible to replace it. Same with the negative cables. One to ground and where does the other go?
1996 Xantia 1.9td LX
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

The positive lead fat one goes directly to the starter motor.. its there where it's joined to a smaller thinner cable which goes the the alternator. . The two small wires that at come out of the he positive terminal goes to the fuse box just behind the battery..

The negative is setup the same way. One fat cable goes directly to the top of the gearbox with a large ring terminal. Remove the air cleaner house.. but you also need to remove the plastic cable/hose guide.. which is a fiddle. The other negative goes straight to the negative board under the battery.. or if in time to the right of the battery..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
WaldoMcBaldo

Post by WaldoMcBaldo »

I'll have a go tomorrow and try and trace them all back to where they start then. If I can get rough measurements using string I can order some nice new ones and get to fitting them ASAP
1996 Xantia 1.9td LX