Help with awful c5 suspension.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Help with awful c5 suspension.....

Post by Xaccers »

This bickering stops now.
It seems some people have missed where Matty said his is steel sprung and not hydraulic and therefore if you have not driven a steel sprung C5 you cannot comment on its handling.
A soft sprung car is not likely to handle anywhere near as well as the same car with hydraulic suspension.
As for research and test drive, unless you go for a prolonged drive, test drives normally only show blatantly obvious problems.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

OK...sorry I was harsh....for sure and that's my bad, I am sorry for that.

Just to clear a couple of things
I can read and DID understand its a steel sprung car
I HAVE driven a C5 1.6ltrD steel spring car recently (10 plate) for a week, a 250+ drive as well as my normal local ...it drove like any other steel sprung estate car but slightly softer. I did NOT effect the handling in my hands.
I have been driving my neighbour to Bath/Gloucester recently due to his illness 3 times a week.....In his brand New A6 Audi estate.....it drives like any other steel sprung estate car. Hard as nails suspension, however it does not effect the handling in my hands.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Xac wrote:
As for research and test drive, unless you go for a prolonged drive, test drives normally only show blatantly obvious problems.
I typed in "citroen C5 steel ride quality" into google, and it gave me enough information to realise that it's a soft old boat..

"The overwhelming impression is that you are driving a car that’s simply not designed to be pedalled with any speed or enthusiasm" - AutoExpress

"Oddly, the steel springs offer a more pliant ride than they hydropneumatic... " - Whatcar.

These were in the search results, not in links I clicked on....

I didn't see much difference between the steel sprung one or the hydropneumatic one back in 2011 when I drove both. Sadly Adriana decide the Berlingo was more her liking.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

AutoExpress also say......."Safe, secure and fast – that's the A6 Avant"....they FORGOT to say ..............hard as nails on anything other than the smoothest of roads and very unconformable to drive any distance due to that. To add to the problem, the stiff suspension and low profile tires un-nerves the front suspension on all but the best tarmac on corners causing the car to drift wide due to lack of grip

That's what I think about AutoExpress reviews................ [-o< :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Xac wrote:This bickering stops now.
It seems some people have missed where Matty said his is steel sprung and not hydraulic and therefore if you have not driven a steel sprung C5 you cannot comment on its handling.
A soft sprung car is not likely to handle anywhere near as well as the same car with hydraulic suspension.
Mine is steel sprung, not hydraulic ... so ... that means only I can speak about it ... :D ... kidding, of course ...
Mattyc1977

Post by Mattyc1977 »

I will also apologise for spitting my dummy out. Sorry guys. My alfa gt was far too hard ride, it was great on smooth roads but on normal roads it made your teeth chatter going over bumps. The C5 unfortunately for me though is the complete opposite. I didn't do my research on the C5 and that's my fault. It is a lovely car in All other respects but not just for me. I'm going to have a look at a volvo s40 sport se tomorrow to possibly part ex it for. I will make sure I take it for a good long test drive!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You might also want to (at least) consider a C5 with hydractive suspension. This is a system that allows for a comfortable ride when needed, but can be firmed up with the press of a button. Driving a conventionally sprung Citroen cannot have given you the real effect of a proper Citroen. A joke amongst doctors is that if you have a back problem, and vehicles could be prescribed, then you would get a prescription for a hydro-pneumatic Citroen. Hydractive suspension is the next stage up from hydro-pneumatic suspension.

There is a third option (if you can find one; there aren't many left) and that is a Xantia Activa. I have yet to experience one, but, as far as I am aware, there were (and still are) the only production saloon car with properly active suspension. Properly set up, they can corner at 0.94g, and only lean at 0.5 degrees. However, even they have the option of changing the ride comfort. The following link shows 2 currently up for sale;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 37#p396737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DEIT; Whatever car you end up getting, try to come along to one of the rallies this year. That way you should get to have a drive in some hydro-pneumatic Citroens, so you can experience what you are currently missing. You might find you hate it, but you might equally find you love it.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!