Help with awful c5 suspension.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Help with awful c5 suspension.....

Post by vborovic »

I felt the same way on my previous Xsara, when I fitted Uniroyal tyres compared to the previous really no-name ones that were on ... felt like the wheels were made out of sponge ... I can understand what difference would be comparing the Alfa to the Citroen, and like I've already said, french cars in general are soft, but Citroen has taken that to a whole another level ... :D ... You can consider something like this (depending on your budget) (in german, you can use Google Translate for english):

http://www.musketiershop.com/?site=prod ... &show=info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mattyc1977

Post by Mattyc1977 »

Thank vborovic. I'm presuming the car will be Ok with been lowered 35mm then? I wasn't bothered about lowering it as such, just firming it up a bit but they look quite good and because there is a specific part it must be a semi frequent request.
Mattyc1977

Post by Mattyc1977 »

Found something similar on eBay..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PI-Citroen-C5 ... 6080306%26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But 40mm lower. I will look like a gangster!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

OK..I drive a Citroen C5 Estate....soft "hydro" suspension
Kia....s**t little wheels and stiff
AH 3000....hard as rock....

What is the problem here ? why is it "hard to get used to" when you change ? The C5 handles just as well as any other car in its class....maybe learn to drive the car ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:
What is the problem here ? why is it "hard to get used to" when you change ? The C5 handles just as well as any other car in its class....maybe learn to drive the car ?
I do kind of agree with you. If I drove my hydropneumatic C5 in the same way I drove my Puma, Cougar, Impreza, Civic Type-R or whatever else I'd have over the years that was rock hard, I'd be sick as a dog...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Mattyc1977

Post by Mattyc1977 »

If you do a search on citroen and motion sickness on Google, it brings back over a million responses, if I had known this before I purchased it, I wouldn't have done so. I also should have taken a more comprehensive test drive to get a proper feel for the car but I will not be told to learn to drive the car correctly by someone who drives a kia! As it happens, my c5 doesn't have hydropneumatic suspension, just standard metal suspension and maybe that is why it drives like jelly as it's just too soft. I think the best thing is probably to get rid of the car tbh. I can get stiffer, lower replacement shocks cheaply for £120 but probably will cost £300 in labour to change and I don't like the car that much!
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

@ matty - no offense mate, but you should've tested the car more before buying, or gather more information ... this seems like you went out to buy bread, and instead of the regular one, you bough a different one ... I can speak for myself, I was buying the car for 2 years (gathering info, watching videos, a lot of reading), maybe more, was fixed on getting the C-Crosser, and switched to the C5 Tourer, maybe a month before I bough it ... when I went to see the car, and sat for the first time in the latest generation C5, that was it ... and I didn't make a mistake in anything, everything was almost tailored for myself ...

It is understandable that you maybe didn't have time for all that, and that's ok, but the car can't take the blame for it to being too comfortable (subjective opinion) ... :) ...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Mattyc1977 wrote:If you do a search on citroen and motion sickness on Google, it brings back over a million responses, if I had known this before I purchased it, I wouldn't have done so. I also should have taken a more comprehensive test drive to get a proper feel for the car but I will not be told to learn to drive the car correctly by someone who drives a kia!
Maybe you should have read the part where Stickyfinger also states he has a C5 and had had those and Xantias for years. He's probably got a decent idea on how to drive them.

You're blaming the car, when it's your fault for not doing any research on it before buying it. I mean, what exactly did you expect going from a small Alfa coupe (a sporty car) to an executive barge with a reputation for having great ride quailty and soft suspension?

Go ahead and change some bits., £120? You're having a laugh. Try £220-250 for springs alone. You'll need decent dampers too, or the ride will be "worse", not better. You can add on another £200 for those. Then an hours labour per corner... so you're looking at £6-700 all in, to ruin the car's USP and lose yet more money when you sell it or trade it in.

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

but I will not be told to learn to drive the car correctly by someone who drives a kia!
Its my mothers Car....and She is 83 and has just re-past her driving test last year and that included a medical/eye test....could you ?...anyway....ITS GREAT when it snows as it just scampers over the top of the ice !

May be you will listen to some guy who has a 3 Lt AH 3000.....one who has a full RAC race ticket.......

maybe learn to drive the car the way the car is designed to work....I drive a oilier VERY differently than a Petrol, don't you ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Mattyc1977

Post by Mattyc1977 »

Wow.... Helpful kind bunch here...... I got a much better response from my alfa forum than this forum..... None on there said I told you so or learn to drive the car, they just offered help and solutions.....
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Change the car for the motion sickness reason. My sister in law can't travel in the back of my c5s.
I suffer from travel sickness, even on a boat on a flat lake.
I don't recognise the handling issues though. It may be me not understanding but my c5 with hydro is great. Maybe something wrong with the car?
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Mattyc1977 wrote:Wow.... Helpful kind bunch here...... I got a much better response from my alfa forum than this forum..... None on there said I told you so or learn to drive the car, they just offered help and solutions.....
Well you're free to go back to the Alfa forum aren't you? Don't let the virtual door hit you on the way out....

You came here slagging off a car that likely has nothing wrong with it, which you bought in a panic after doing precisely no research about it. When you get told how it is, you get the hump and saying things such as "I will not be told how to drive by someone who drives a Kia". Why? Do you know everything? It appears so..

I can't recall a single post on here complaing that any C5 or Xantia has too soft a ride. I wonder why that is? Perhaps it's your driving after all..

Do enlighten us, please, with the wondrous solutions they came up with on the FIAT forum.

Last edited by Northern_Mike on 24 Jan 2014, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote: May be you will listen to some guy who has a 3 Lt AH 3000.....one who has a full RAC race ticket.......
Damn. I've only got a non-race National B for hillclimbing.

Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Mattyc1977 wrote:Wow.... Helpful kind bunch here...... I got a much better response from my alfa forum than this forum..... None on there said I told you so or learn to drive the car, they just offered help and solutions.....
Don't be too put off Matty, this is generally quite a friendly forum. Just that one or two stronger viewpoints have been made. No experience of the C5 myself, but did someone mention tyres? What type are you running, in case anyone wants to make a useful comment?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Mattyc1977

Post by Mattyc1977 »

Xantidote wrote:
Don't be too put off Matty, this is generally quite a friendly forum. Just that one or two stronger viewpoints have been made. No experience of the C5 myself, but did someone mention tyres? What type are you running, in case anyone wants to make a useful comment?
Thanks for your help. I have 4 Mitchelin tyres on which were on when I got the car, all have good tread, they look quite new.
If I'm honest, I have persuaded myself to change the car now, I just need to persuade the wife it's a good idea!