Basics on C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Basics on C5

Post by Peter.N. »

The main reason I like Citroen is because of the hydropnumatic suspension, in an age when most cars feel as though they have square wheels the ride is really luxurious, they are also usually very spacious. The earlier ones were much better though, the CX for instance had superb steering and suspension and was as different as chalk and cheese to the average car of the time, they were a huge car that handled like a Mini.

They are a bit of a compromise though, they don't handle as well as some conventionally sprung cars, I also have a Peugeot 406 which has the same running gear but conventional suspension, the handling is much sharper and it gives you a feeling of confidence that you don't get in the Citroen, the ride is not to bad but if I want to cosset myself I drive the C5.

Both of my cars have done around 200,000 miles but the Peugeot has been more reliable, that may just of course be down to the model, the 406 was a very good car.

Peter
danielsydney
My Cars:

Post by danielsydney »

Is there anything I need to be careful of in the Series 1 C5 range?
C3 Automatic.
"la vie est belle"
"c'est elle que J'aime"
www.tvcitroen.com
www.renaulttv.co.uk
www.pubstv.com
"arive en France"
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

They are less complicated than the later ones so a Series 1 is and will continue to be my preference. The 2.0. Hdi manual is normally a super reliable engine and box, the cars themselves don't seem to suffer from any stock faults, even head gaskets that only used to last about 150k on the XUD seem to have an indefinite life on the Hdi although they can go so its worth checking. I would have no problem buying a high miler, 200k+ providing the rear suspension arms are OK.

There have been some very good buys on ebay recently, relatively low mileage estates for around the £500-600 mark, you might get a hatch even cheaper. Go for the 2.0. hdi its much more economical than the 2.2. I you fancy a petrol one you should be able to get it for next to nothing.

Peter

P.S. Only just noticed you were in Australia - prices may vary. :-D
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

danielsydney wrote:Is there anything I need to be careful of in the Series 1 C5 range?
That's like saying "Do Rottweilers bite?"

Most don't, and are very good dogs.

The occasional one will ruin you and send you crazy.

Get a good, earlier simple MK1 or MK1 facelift (post 2005) and you'll be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Another thing to look out for on the estate is failing tailgate struts, they usually stay up in hot weather, so you may be OK, but with the temperatures we get here expect to be hit on the head. This wouldn't normally be a problem but they are mounted in the roof so you have to remove the headlining, they are also expensive - if you can get them.

Peter
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Peter.N. wrote:Another thing to look out for on the estate is failing tailgate struts, they usually stay up in hot weather, so you may be OK, but with the temperatures we get here expect to be hit on the head. This wouldn't normally be a problem but they are mounted in the roof so you have to remove the headlining, they are also expensive - if you can get them.

Peter
Here Peter, not too dear and free postage. I haven't had any Citroen ones but just bought a pair for a Toyota Avensis, ordered Wednesday here this morning.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-GAS-S ... 56533b4e7b
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Steering is different between x7 and the rest. Turning circle seems larger and I seem to have to do a lot more back and forward maneuvering to get the direction I want.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
Peter.N. wrote:Another thing to look out for on the estate is failing tailgate struts, they usually stay up in hot weather, so you may be OK, but with the temperatures we get here expect to be hit on the head. This wouldn't normally be a problem but they are mounted in the roof so you have to remove the headlining, they are also expensive - if you can get them.

Peter
Here Peter, not too dear and free postage. I haven't had any Citroen ones but just bought a pair for a Toyota Avensis, ordered Wednesday here this morning.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-GAS-S ... 56533b4e7b
I have tried everyone I can find on ebay and Google with no success, some say they have them but they turn out only to be the window struts, if they do list the tailgate struts they are over £100 each and they don't have them.

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Regassing is common here.

Daniel, why not ask Jason Hantos if he still has the grey C5 for sale? It ran sweet as a nut, and was the no-fuss basic 2 litre diesel.
danielsydney
My Cars:

Post by danielsydney »

I keep looking at C5 cars and the seats on the earlier models look much more comfortable than post 2008 cars. Im beginning to lean to an earlier can now.
C3 Automatic.
"la vie est belle"
"c'est elle que J'aime"
www.tvcitroen.com
www.renaulttv.co.uk
www.pubstv.com
"arive en France"
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

look more comfortable???. I think you need to try sitting in them!
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
danielsydney
My Cars:

Post by danielsydney »

Am I incorrect? bearing in mind I have not driven one yet.
C3 Automatic.
"la vie est belle"
"c'est elle que J'aime"
www.tvcitroen.com
www.renaulttv.co.uk
www.pubstv.com
"arive en France"
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

qprdude wrote: If Citroen want to get down there and scramble around with the Fords etc, they will lose big time. That's just my opinion of course..
They already lost big time, hence the move away from hydractive on most models. Big citroens have always been a fast-depreciating money pit that have brought company to it's knees on more than one occasion. The more conventional models (and PSA money) kept Citroen going. The C15, ZX, AX, Saxo, Berlingo and to an extent the BX and Xantia (because of the great diesel engines) kept Citroen going. The enthusiasts moan and say the steel sprung are not real Citroens, but I'll tell you for sure that without them, Citroen would be long gone.

danielsydney
My Cars:

Post by danielsydney »

Northern_Mike wrote:
qprdude wrote: If Citroen want to get down there and scramble around with the Fords etc, they will lose big time. That's just my opinion of course..
They already lost big time, hence the move away from hydractive on most models. Big Citroëns have always been a fast-depreciating money pit that have brought company to it's knees on more than one occasion. The more conventional models (and PSA money) kept Citroen going. The C15, ZX, AX, Saxo, Berlingo and to an extent the BX and Xantia (because of the great diesel engines) kept Citroen going. The enthusiasts moan and say the steel sprung are not real Citroëns, but I'll tell you for sure that without them, Citroen would be long gone.

There is a fair bit of truth in this.......
C3 Automatic.
"la vie est belle"
"c'est elle que J'aime"
www.tvcitroen.com
www.renaulttv.co.uk
www.pubstv.com
"arive en France"
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Don't get me wrong. I love big Citroëns and green ball suspension, but it has always been a niche market as long as I can remember. Had they made something 3 or 5 series size, with *generally* accepted conservative good looks - not a Blake's 7 outcast, they'd have sold so much better and been able to put whatever suspension they liked on it.

The only great looking big Cit to me were the last of the CX GTI Turbo 2s, in black. A gorgeous car. It looked sane enough to be accepted, and looked like it was ready to go to Mars.

The XM looks like my son Sam drew it as a spaceship to go to Mars in.... (I like them but it's true)