Rought start up with white smoke

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DiggerDaft

Re: Rought start up with white smoke

Post by DiggerDaft »

It only smokes when left overnight, but yes when it's warming up in the morning it's lumpy and it sounds like it's missing but then clears when it warms up a bit say after 5 mins of idling, I don't like to rev like hell when it's cold so I gently ease throttle on, once stopped when warm it does not give white smoke until left overnight again. I hope it's not the head as it's brand new one lol!! It's holding water as I've been monitoring that since the new head went on bout 1000 miles ago. I've seen these pics before on another forum and looks like a good idea so will give that a bash, I also have an extra non return valve like that but on the tank side of the primer housing so may change that position also to rule it out. There is already a small clear pipe between the primer and pump and in the morning there is always a bubble bout 3-4 mm in size.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

You need a piece of microbore central heating pipe and a piece of normal copper pipe, fix together and bend etc as I've done. The return to the bottle goes through the large pipe (gets hot quickish) and the fuel is the smaller one obviously.

I just wirebrushed a section in each and put a length of solder down them and gently heated with a blowtorch (or gas cooker!) until it melted, two pairs of grips needed. Worked well enough.

Other forum ? , out of interest I'd like to know which if you would say. :) , I don't mind I'm just curious nothing more.

Once you have the heater in place (i considered lagging mine) bypass the heater on the back of the block, watch the pipes do not catch on anything the upright piece can touch the exhaust if you're not careful, pain to get to, easier from underneath unless you want to the engine top mount and inlet manifold off then you can do it from above. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

That certantly sounds like an air leak then.

Non return valves only mask the problem, if the fuel system seals properly you don't need them.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
spider

Post by spider »

Oh I'd agree.

A clear piece of pipe between filter and pump inlet would be a quick easy test.

Lucas pump so not too prone to dodgy leakoff pipes although given its about £3 for length of leakoff pipe its worth while just changing them (and the leakoff return to the main return as well) , might be worth looking at the end cap as well.
Andy.

DiggerDaft

Post by DiggerDaft »

That's great, I'm deformed going to make one of those. When I initially got the car I trawled the forums for help and for the life of me I cannot remember sorry, is it possible you have displayed these before? Maybe they were yours on another forum. Can you highlight the leak off pipes you are talking about please? Just so I can identify them to possibly replace them. Could they be porous and drawing but not leaking?
DiggerDaft

Post by DiggerDaft »

Deformed was meant to say defo lol dam predictive txt :-D
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

The leakoff pipes are the small bore rubber pipes that go from injector to injector.
If you can get some nylon pipe (the sort used for water or compressed air) with the right ID (3mm) this will last for years.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DiggerDaft

Post by DiggerDaft »

Brilliant mark21td, guys all of your help has been great, I'll let you know how I get on.
spider

Post by spider »

Don't forget the 'return' leakoff pipe, there's some between each injector and then the last one returns to the fuel pipe, you'll have a metal t-piece probably here.

There's also one on the fuel device (on front of pump) as well, you could change that if you have enough spare pipe.

Don't overlook the 'cap' on the last injector either, last resort is a length of pipe about 1 inch with a tight fitting screw/bolt in it.
Andy.

DiggerDaft

Post by DiggerDaft »

No problem, yeah I have done the cap on the last injector actually as when I got it it had a self tapper screw in it lol, spider again your help has been great many thanks
DiggerDaft

Post by DiggerDaft »

Hi guys, update time,,

I changed the leak off hoses to eliminate air ingress, also like I said before 4 new glow plugs, we had an unsuspected cold snap last nyt so this morning tried to start and again it was lumpy on start still with white smoke, had a wee look at the pump and it was running very close to stopping on the manual stop on the pump so gave the wee bolt a small tweek and it ran fine and smoke cleared relatively quicker than before.

Now,, when driving I get a good bit of black smoke, am I running it to rich or something?? Am I damaging the car at all??
spider

Post by spider »

Unburned fuel probably. Is air filter clean ?

Check the main air hose between filter and manifold too (the big one you can easily pull off) that its not collapsed inside. They normally split on the outside though due to the bend in them and people tape them up. Just check its not blocked or collapsed internally. :)
Andy.