C5 Stereo replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re: C5 Stereo replacement

Post by SaabC5 »

cpikey316_ wrote:
SaabC5 wrote:Probably has bluetooth phone integration so you need the mic to talk into. Most people route the wiring up the a pillar and across to the interior light/rear view mirror position.
Interesting thought, I was thinking about just attaching it to the A pillar at the top. Is this a bad place for it to be?
From past experience its common to "nut it" if you reach into the car for something and forget its there. If its in the middle you can't do that. :-D
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
cpikey316_
My Cars:

Post by cpikey316_ »

SaabC5 wrote:From past experience its common to "nut it" if you reach into the car for something and forget its there. If its in the middle you can't do that. :-D
i'd never have thought of that.

Also, it came to me last night that I should probably test the mic before carefully threading it through all those fascia parts!
Light bluey 2002 C5 LX
cpikey316_
My Cars:

Post by cpikey316_ »

*FAIL*

mainly me! Now I've hit several stumbling blocks. The lack of an aerial adapter is not an issue, I can go get one of those tomorrow. But....

I've set it up as in the photo, plugged everything into everything as best I can. The stereo powers up and has remembered its setup (time) so I assume the lives are in the right places. However....

The stalk does not work. Now *I* think that funny bluegreenyellow plug is the stalk/steering wheel controls. There is no where for them to plug in, which would explain the stalk not working. Do I have the wrong cable after all?
That black cable is the 'patch' cable (haha) The instructions suggest I need to "make" it for my particular stereo (If I could make cables, I wouldnt have needed to buy one now would I) Is that the likely culprit? Ill happily go out and spend £5.99 on a stereo specific patch cable that will work, if thats all I need

Can anyone shed some light on my problem.....

Light bluey 2002 C5 LX
SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 »

The green/blue/yellow plugs should be connected to the wheel control interface you've bought and there should be a 3.5mm patch lead coming from the other end of the interface into a 3.5mm socket on the rear of the head unit. It does make a difference what patch lead you use because the different manufacturers use different pins for the same controls.
cpikey316_
My Cars:

Post by cpikey316_ »

The lead I bought states "This stalk control interface will allow you to retain factory remote steering/stalk controls on an aftermarket head-unit."

There is no where for the greenblueyellow plug to plug into the leads that I have, the patch lead and control box that came with the leads attaches to the "main part" of the loom (the power/speakers part)
Light bluey 2002 C5 LX
SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 »

What make is the interface, is it a Connects2?
cpikey316_
My Cars:

Post by cpikey316_ »

Yes, its a connects2

Looking at autoleads patch cables, it says they dont work with other makes of interface.
Light bluey 2002 C5 LX
SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 »

Had to look at my adaptor cos its a while since i did mine. Turns out i'm talking out my arse! :rofl2:

Looking at the adaptor in the picture.. the two plugs from the dash go into the left hand black connector, the brown/black connectors go to the wiring loom of the new radio and the patch lead goes from the black rectangular interface to the back of the radio. The green/blue/yellow plugs are redundant.
SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 »

cpikey316_ wrote:Yes, its a connects2

Looking at autoleads patch cables, it says they dont work with other makes of interface.
That might explain it! :x
cpikey316_
My Cars:

Post by cpikey316_ »

I was unaware that the greenyellowplugs were no longer needed!

I cant figure out the instructions on the generic patch cable, so will probably go to halfords tomorrow and buy a pioneer one.
Light bluey 2002 C5 LX
cpikey316_
My Cars:

Post by cpikey316_ »

SaabC5 wrote:
cpikey316_ wrote:Yes, its a connects2

That might explain it! :x

I have one of these

http://www.connects2downloads.co.uk/c2/ ... TILEAD.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and a pioneer headunit, so logic suggests that I need to do nothing, as it already comes with the orange,green and purple wires.
Light bluey 2002 C5 LX
SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 »

jgra1 wrote:sorry to hijack..
If anyone knows of a Bluetooth and also DAB stereo that will fit a c5, and retain the remote control and possibly some of the display can you let me know? :)

John
Here you go John, not cheap but they won't be with the spec you want. Please note you'll probably have to buy a DAB aeriel as well, they rarely come in the box with the radio!

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -27582.htm
SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 »

Looking at Connects2 catalogue you should have part no CTSCT002 for the interface and CTPIONEERLEAD for the patch lead NOT the universal lead. The Pioneer patch lead has a 3.5mm jack that plugs into the back of your new head unit. If you don't have that jack lead in the new radio its not gonna work.
cpikey316_
My Cars:

Post by cpikey316_ »

The universal lead seems to suggest it will work with a pioneer. will give it another go tomorrow and get a pioneer patch lead ordered if i have no luck.
Light bluey 2002 C5 LX
cpikey316_
My Cars:

Re: C5 Stereo replacement *WORKS!*

Post by cpikey316_ »

It works, apart from the radio, as the adapter Halfords sold me doesn't seem to plug into the hole on the radio (it is the correct type!)

I also saved lots of time by putting the microphone up by the little screen on top of the dashboard, and threading the cable down into the dashboard, thereby allowing me to grab it!
Light bluey 2002 C5 LX