Xantia 1.9TD SX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: Xantia 1.9TD SX

Post by Old-Guy »

myglaren wrote:Until you get the chance to change the matrix, try a bottle of Forte Cooling System Stop Leak.
It is fairly expensive but if anything will work then this will, it will also not cause any other problems that other makes of sealant will do.
Forte Stop Leak may be excellent - if only it was obtainable. The UK importers will ONLY supply it to their 'authorised agents' for them to use in their workshops. They refuse to supply the motor trade in general.

The nearest authorised agent to me is a small independent of unknown reputation, some 50 miles away in a remote rural location - a 100 mile round trip to pay someone unknown to change the coolant and add a bottle of expensive goo - instead of a 50 yard trip to 'my' workshop either to do the job myself (or have my tame mechanic do it) with a thorough flush of the cooling system before re-filling with the correct 50:50 mix of (long-life) antifreeze and (distilled) water plus a the bottle of magic goo. A no-brainer.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You can get it on eBay. There are some workshops that will sell it over the counter.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

Ahh! Worth knowing.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
rob-iom

Post by rob-iom »

Cheers guys for the advice, because I needed to use the car asap I bought the first thing I could get hold of and that was radweld, and that appears to have done the trick for now. However today I've discovered something that may well of spelt the end for this one. I was going to make a 150 mile trip this afternoon, before leaving I checked my oil and water only to discover that there was thick black oil sitting on top of the water in the header tank.

Now my first thought was head gasket failure which really miffed me off, however I have had a quick look on the net and I have seen bits about oil cooler failure? Could anyone enlighten me on this one because I am struggling to find information about it and haven't really got a great deal of time and money to spend on it.

Cheers
Rob
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Oil coolers can and do go.. situated beside the altinator the oil filter is screwed to it.. pop the two pipes off it and join them with a copper pipe.. then if it is leaking oil will escape the open pipe ends on the cooler so I would then bridge the openings with another pipe to stoo any potential escape...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
rob-iom

Post by rob-iom »

I did this bypass a few days ago however I have not noticed any oil leaking from the cooler and I have been checking it regularly. Today I have gone to do a coolant change but I can't seem to find where to drain the coolant from. From what I've read there should be a drain plug on the bottom of the radiator but I can't find it. Are there any other drain points on these?

Cheers
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

rob-iom wrote:there should be a drain plug on the bottom of the radiator
In the old days, drain plugs were fairly standard on the bottom of radiators, but not so much nowadays. If the car's had a new radiator, then in the interests of economy, chances are there's no drain plug/tap. Only way is to undo/release the bottom hose, at the same time removing pressure cap from the header tank. The hoses on later TDs had some fancy (but pain-in-the-a***) male & female connectors, according to information on the forum, but this doesn't apply to older TDs such as mine of 1995 vintage. Fingers X for you.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )